Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paradigm Cinema 70 v. Klipsch Quintet Which is better?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Bill Street

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 03:59 AM

I'm searching for a small sat/sub setup for my new home. I want small speakers that don't sound like crap. I've read a fair bit about the Paradigm Cinema 70's and the Klipsch Quintet. I know much of enjoyment of speakers is subjective, but I was wondering which one was considered better?

I'm using an Harman Kardon AV120 for my receiver.

I've had Paradigm Performance speakers before and like the sound, but part of me is intrigued by the Klipsch use of a horn tweeter. I like the improved sensitivity.

I wish Paradigm still made the Micro's. I think those would have worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Street

#2 of 3 darek

darek

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 04:40 AM

I haven't heard the Paradigm system but I have owned the Quintets (among others). If you have a small room they're quite nice for home theater, very clear, due to the horn. They have a built in stand/wall mount that works pretty well. Their music performance was ok, not great. This is mainly due to their 3.5" woofer. I feel that all micro systems have the same problem with music; they just don't have presence and sound small leaving you wanting more.

As you stated, you wished that Paradigm still made the Mico. In that case I would strongly recommend the Athena Point 5 system (you can still get it on ebay). This is one of the best sounding speaker systems out there. It also comes with wall mounts and when combined with a good subwoofer you'd think that you were listening to floor standing speakers. The only negative with the Point 5's is their appearance which not everyone likes.

Another option and one that I'm considering would be 3 pairs of JBL E20's. Good luck.

#3 of 3 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 27 2006 - 04:47 AM

Athena Point 5 can be found at www.onecall.com for $199. You'll have to add your own sub though, but that isn't a bad thing.

I'd also recommend you look at the HSU Ventriloquist www.hsuresearch.com
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein