What's new

Dick Cavett Show DVDs (1 Viewer)

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have these DVD's? I was wondering if these episodes are complete or if they are just excerpts? They would be nice to have if they were complete (including the music)

Randy

Jeff#

Screenwriter
You're in luck, Randy! Most of The Dick Cavett Shows on those discs are complete, including the music. You'll also see Cavett in 2005 with new intros for those old ABC broadcasts.

There are a couple of exceptions: One episode with David Bowie from December 1974 features the opening monolog and the first segment of Dick interviewing Bowie (and it's a very entertaining interview, by the way). Then it cuts out with no second segment or anything else except for Dick himself in a special intro he taped shortly after that show first aired. Dick apologizes to the viewing audience because one of his staff members accidentally deleted the rest of the videotape!! :D

The other exception is that Mick Jagger didn't like his interview appearance on a show from 1972. The man didn't allow that 90 minute show in the studio (which he was on for most of) to even air. Actually, Jagger did permit Cavett and a film crew to come film The Rolling Stones in concert and also interview him AGAIN, only privately and backstage.

It's interesting that the above events happened during the original run of the show and not decades later for this DVD release.

I highly recommend it for the 3 appearances by the late Janis Joplin, and also for the non-musical guests such as old-time movie actress Gloria Swanson in a 1970 show and a U.S. Senator and his wife in another one. Actress Raquel Welch looked fetching in a minidress and came off as very intelligent in her views on life. Distinugished veteran actor Douglas Fairbanks, Jr was in another show.

These shows are all in the "Rock Icons" set.

I didn't buy the other set, which had 3 complete shows with singer Ray Charles, but I like Ray and I might get that one next year when I finish watching other stuff.

As a bonus, a 30 minute video interview with Dick Cavett was recorded earlier this year for the Rock Icons release.

The larger set is about $30 at Best Buy, and the Ray Charles one is $18. It's a very good value.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I have the John & Yoko set. The shows are complete as far as I can tell; all the other guests are included in the episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks