Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel SACD - 5.1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 OFFLINE   John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 04:34 AM

Does anyone know if the new Depeche Mode "Playing The Angel" SACD that comes out tomorrow in the UK will include a 5.1 track? All of the sites I've looked at mention 5.1 for the bonus DVD but I cannot locate a definitive answer for the SACD. I'm a huge DM fan and loved the 101 5.1 SACD and am hoping for the best with their new album.

#2 of 67 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 04:22 AM

it appears there is a uk only deluxe edition, it appears to be a hybrid sacd, with seperate dvd(containing dts and dd5.1 mixes). i've seen only a couple foreign websites that do list the sacd as 5.1.

i havent been able to find if it is ntsc of pal for the dvd? i'd order the import if it will all play fine on my us players?

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 11:46 AM

Btw i've heard the cd but not the dvd....the cd's quite good.

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 03:34 PM

The album is very good.

~T

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 03:55 PM

According to this thread

http://www.quadrapho....ead.php?t=5596

it is 5.1 on the SA-CD. I will know for sure when I receive it from the UK.

#6 of 67 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 07:28 AM

In the US you can find the DVD and CD packaged together like a dual disc but not a dual disc release persay.

The CD is crazy good.
The DVD features the album in DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and PCM.
Making the Angel - I assume its a Documentary
Precious - video
Clean(bare) ???
Photo Gallery
and I'm not sure if this is an extra or not but it lists "pain and suffering in various tempos" below that.

What little I samped of the DTS, It's crazy good.

I'd probably buy the SACD too Posted Image

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 07:58 AM

Can't wait to hear it. I preordered it somewhere but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have concert tix for Nov. 5th.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   DavidKNML

DavidKNML

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 10:29 AM

From Depechemode.com

Notes: This is the first album to come with a bonus DVD. On the UK release, the "Deluxe Edition" comes with a SACD, and a DVD. For the US release, the "Deluxe Edition" has the same content, but comes as a CD and a DVD (with the DVD having the UK SACD's surround mixes).

I'm picking it up today I listened to the album about 10 times already. I think its the better than their last several albums.

Link

#9 of 67 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,039 posts

Posted October 18 2005 - 01:01 PM

Does the US version have DVD-Audio? That's pretty screwed up that the UK gets a hybrid SACD but the US doesn't- somebody really has it in for the format.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 67 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Does the US version have DVD-Audio? That's pretty screwed up that the UK gets a hybrid SACD but the US doesn't- somebody really has it in for the format.

Agreed. It seems like it's more trouble for them to remove the SACD layer for the USA rather than just manufacture it for us the same as EU. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, they lost a sale to me.

Doug

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   Drew_N

Drew_N

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 05:02 AM

Do SACD's have region codes like DVDs? If not, sounds like worth trying to import to me.

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 09:28 AM

I just listened to it for the first time. Hopefully it grows on me. Exciter wasn't a very good album but it still had 2-3 songs I loved. There's nothing on here that really grabbed me right off the bat other than the remix of Waiting for the Night.

Has anyone seen a concert track list yet? I love seeing them live but I'm always disappointed they don't play more pre-Violater songs. The last 3 times I've seen them they only played like 3-4.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#13 of 67 OFFLINE   John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 02:30 PM

I've listened to the first 8 tracks on the CD. I started off quite impressed with the first 3 songs but then the album went downhill. I'll listen to the rest on my way to and from work tomorrow. Hopefully the second half will be better. As for their last album, Exciter, I love that CD and put it behind Music For The Masses as their best. It's good to hear that the SACD has a surround mix. I'll probably put in in my next UK order.

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 04:10 PM

listening to it for the first time right now. overall, color me unimpressed. i'll obviously listen to it some more, but i hate the "have to listen to it a few times before i like it" effort. i mean, my god, their older albums BLEW ME AWAY on the very first listen. with ultra, it took some time, but i came to like that album. exciter? i probably can't even recognize some of those tunes like i can on their older stuff (play the first few notes of any early dm song and i'll nail it ... instantly).

oh well ... i'll still buy their albums (own them all plus several imports, remixes, etc) .... i'll go to their concerts (haven't missed one since the black celebration tour) -- because they are still dm and they got me through a lot and gave me countless hours of listening pleasure.

#15 of 67 OFFLINE   Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 12:07 AM

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 01:20 AM

Too bad the USA got shut out on a "Hi-Rez" release. I would get the import but the video portion is PAL and that don't fly on my system. And I'm not getting both import and domestic, so it looks like DTS for me and my surround habit.

#17 of 67 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 04:05 PM

Ive heard a couple tracks from the new album... and it sounds good. I heard a few tracks from VIOLATOR when it first came out, and liked it alot, but it wasnt until recenlty that purchased the album. I have since become a HUGE depeche mode fan. Id like to hear the new album in SACD.

But even more, Id like to have high-rez remaster of VIOLATOR.

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted October 20 2005 - 11:40 PM

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted October 21 2005 - 07:58 AM

pretty good arman! for the most part, i agree with your album reviews. i'd probably change:

songs of faith ... 4/5
catching up ... 3/5 (it's more or less a best of)
construction time ... 3/5
speak & spell ... 4/5
a broken frame ... 5/5 (love this album)

man ... and i thought *i* was a dm nut. Posted Image Posted Image

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted October 21 2005 - 10:56 AM