Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel SACD - 5.1?

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Milton, Oct 16, 2005.

1. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Does anyone know if the new Depeche Mode "Playing The Angel" SACD that comes out tomorrow in the UK will include a 5.1 track? All of the sites I've looked at mention 5.1 for the bonus DVD but I cannot locate a definitive answer for the SACD. I'm a huge DM fan and loved the 101 5.1 SACD and am hoping for the best with their new album.

2. AricB

AricB Second Unit

it appears there is a uk only deluxe edition, it appears to be a hybrid sacd, with seperate dvd(containing dts and dd5.1 mixes). i've seen only a couple foreign websites that do list the sacd as 5.1.

i havent been able to find if it is ntsc of pal for the dvd? i'd order the import if it will all play fine on my us players?

3. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

Btw i've heard the cd but not the dvd....the cd's quite good.

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The album is very good.

~T

5. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

In the US you can find the DVD and CD packaged together like a dual disc but not a dual disc release persay.

The CD is crazy good.
    The DVD features the album in DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and PCM.
    Making the Angel - I assume its a Documentary
    Precious - video
    Clean(bare) ???
    Photo Gallery
    and I'm not sure if this is an extra or not but it lists "pain and suffering in various tempos" below that.

What little I samped of the DTS, It's crazy good.

I'd probably buy the SACD too [​IMG]

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Can't wait to hear it. I preordered it somewhere but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have concert tix for Nov. 5th.

8. DavidKNML

DavidKNML Agent

From Depechemode.com

Notes: This is the first album to come with a bonus DVD. On the UK release, the "Deluxe Edition" comes with a SACD, and a DVD. For the US release, the "Deluxe Edition" has the same content, but comes as a CD and a DVD (with the DVD having the UK SACD's surround mixes).

I'm picking it up today I listened to the album about 10 times already. I think its the better than their last several albums.

Link

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Does the US version have DVD-Audio? That's pretty screwed up that the UK gets a hybrid SACD but the US doesn't- somebody really has it in for the format.

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Agreed. It seems like it's more trouble for them to remove the SACD layer for the USA rather than just manufacture it for us the same as EU. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, they lost a sale to me.

Doug

11. Drew_N

Drew_N Extra

Do SACD's have region codes like DVDs? If not, sounds like worth trying to import to me.

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I just listened to it for the first time. Hopefully it grows on me. Exciter wasn't a very good album but it still had 2-3 songs I loved. There's nothing on here that really grabbed me right off the bat other than the remix of Waiting for the Night.

Has anyone seen a concert track list yet? I love seeing them live but I'm always disappointed they don't play more pre-Violater songs. The last 3 times I've seen them they only played like 3-4.

13. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

I've listened to the first 8 tracks on the CD. I started off quite impressed with the first 3 songs but then the album went downhill. I'll listen to the rest on my way to and from work tomorrow. Hopefully the second half will be better. As for their last album, Exciter, I love that CD and put it behind Music For The Masses as their best. It's good to hear that the SACD has a surround mix. I'll probably put in in my next UK order.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

listening to it for the first time right now. overall, color me unimpressed. i'll obviously listen to it some more, but i hate the "have to listen to it a few times before i like it" effort. i mean, my god, their older albums BLEW ME AWAY on the very first listen. with ultra, it took some time, but i came to like that album. exciter? i probably can't even recognize some of those tunes like i can on their older stuff (play the first few notes of any early dm song and i'll nail it ... instantly).

oh well ... i'll still buy their albums (own them all plus several imports, remixes, etc) .... i'll go to their concerts (haven't missed one since the black celebration tour) -- because they are still dm and they got me through a lot and gave me countless hours of listening pleasure.

15. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

16. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Too bad the USA got shut out on a "Hi-Rez" release. I would get the import but the video portion is PAL and that don't fly on my system. And I'm not getting both import and domestic, so it looks like DTS for me and my surround habit.

17. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Ive heard a couple tracks from the new album... and it sounds good. I heard a few tracks from VIOLATOR when it first came out, and liked it alot, but it wasnt until recenlty that purchased the album. I have since become a HUGE depeche mode fan. Id like to hear the new album in SACD.

But even more, Id like to have high-rez remaster of VIOLATOR.

18. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

pretty good arman! for the most part, i agree with your album reviews. i'd probably change:

songs of faith ... 4/5
    catching up ... 3/5 (it's more or less a best of)
    construction time ... 3/5
    speak & spell ... 4/5
    a broken frame ... 5/5 (love this album)

man ... and i thought *i* was a dm nut. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Arman

Arman Screenwriter