What's new

Video Card Question (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that the memory built onto video cards were mainly used in game playing but does it effect the quality of video playback from say a DVD or a avi file?
IT seems as though now many cards are in excess of $200 or $300, what does this buy you from your average $40 - $100 card.
I dont play games but I do have a s video connect to my TV and split screens and sometimes use my TV to playback video.
How much improvement would I get on the TV playback?
Thanks
Grant

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I think the only way you would get improvement on your TV is to use a HiDef connection comin from your video card. ATI has cards where you can get HDTV dongles and use component cables to hook up to TV. But if your TV is not capable of displaying anything higher than 480i, don't bother, you won't notice a difference.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
for decent video play back a 32mb card will do you fine, although i would recommend at least a 64mb card. you would definitely see an improvement over integrated video in a motherboard. you would also see a system wide performance improvement because of the freeing up of system resources.

the higher end cards have dvi-outputs and the ability to put out component. some even have hardware decoding for mpeg-2. but if your application will only support s-video and composite due to your display a budget card in the area of 40-100 bux will do you fine.

i am an ati person, but nvidia cards have a rep of being better for dealing with video via mpeg-2 and avi.

edited for the typo that scott l caught :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just for S-Video playback and I'd recommend something uber-cheap like a Radeon 7500/8500. If you want more, I see a bunch of 6600GT's in the $140 range on Newegg. That's a solid card with mpeg-2 decoding capabilities.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have a Radeon ATI 7000 series with 64mbwhich I guess is considered old and cheap.
I have it connected via s video but the TV does have HD component inputs. Since I have both taken up I would need a switcher to have my computer hooked up and I would rather keep it that way for now.
Would a more expensive card help video playback on my computer monitor....in other words what would a 6600GT buy me saying I kept my TV hooked up via s-video?

rob-h

Second Unit
Diallo B, almost all low end cards now adays have hardware mpeg2 decoding. The high end cards you speak of will definitely all have it.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
To answer the question really depends on what software you are using. Normal decode of SD quality MPEG2 video doesn't require too much frame buffer memory, but any software that takes advantage of the video processing and deinterlacing capabilities of VMR9 can chew up a lot of memory very quickly - especially if you are playing HD sized video.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ah k, good to know. I actually just bought the card because it was the cheapest name brand PCI-E model available. :) No gaming either, just a work computer so I hope I'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks