What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Ben-Hur - Four Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Ben-Hur
Four-Disc Collector’s Edition

Studio: Warner Brothers
Year: 1959
Rated: G
Film Length: 222 Minutes (Includes Overture, Intermission & Entr’ Acte)
Aspect Ratio: 2.76:1 Enhanced Widescreen
Audio: DD 5.1
Color/B&W: Color
Languages: English & French
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish
MSRP: $39.92
Package: 5 panel Digipak/cardboard slipcover

The Feature:
Directed by William Wyler, this mammoth production consisted of 350 speaking parts and over 50,000 extras. Extremely popular when first released, the film, based on the famous novel by Lew Wallace, won eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, a record equaled only by Titanic (1997) and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), an achievement made more spectacular by the fact that the film was the remake of the prestigious 1925 silent production which had cost a then-unheard-of, four million dollars. While the 1959 film is technically more advanced than its predecessor, many would argue, the remake is less original and exciting than the silent film, directed by Fred Niblo.

Judah Ben-Hur (played by Charlton Heston) is a member of the Jewish nobility living in Jerusalem, who lives a religious life and peacefully opposes the occupation of Judea by Rome. When his old friend Messala (played by Stephen Boyd) returns to the region as a Roman official, they are divided over the fate of Judea. Throwing friendship aside, Messala has Ben-Hur, as well as his sister and mother, arrested under a wrongful accusation of treason.

While the fate of his family is unknown, Judah is condemned to spend the rest of his life in the Roman fleet's galleys. His fate, however, takes a turn for the best when he saves the life of the commander of the fleet, Quintus Arrius (played by Jack Hawkins).

Freed from slavery, he becomes Arrius's adopted son, but instead of forgetting his past to become the heir of a Roman aristocrat, the motives that becomes the purpose of his life is to find his family and take his revenge on the treacherous Messala, which he eventually does through a famous chariot race.

Ben-Hur is less a biblical epic in the manner of The Ten Commandments (1956) and The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) but rather a traditional Roman Empire story in the style of Quo Vadis? (1951), or a film set against the background of the life of Christ such as The Robe (1953), a film which it closely resembles. Despite its American alternate title "A Tale of Christ" (used more in reference to the 1925 version), Ben-Hur's star character is not a biblical character, but an eponymous one, who is entirely fictitious.

Furthermore, in spite of Judah's constant references to his God, Christianity is mostly relegated to the background, and apart from a sequence before the opening credits, a brief encounter between Ben-Hur and Jesus, and the last thirty minutes of the picture which deal with the Crucifixion, there is nothing particularly biblical about Ben-Hur, in comparison to the 1925 version, which, although never rising above biblical tokenism, had episodes of the Christ's life regularly interrupting the protagonist's story.

The Feature: 3.5/5
:star::star::star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif

Video:
Admittedly, when I started the review, I did so hesitantly, considering some of the posts as well as some of the various screencaps that were posted. As you can see from this Ben-Hur thread, there is great deal of discussion surrounding the mastering of the new Four-Disc Collector’s Edition. As you can see here, Mr. Robert Harris steps up to the plate and posts in an attempt to allay any fear for potential purchasers, offering his enthusiastic support for the new set.

Having said all that, I still can’t help but feel the colors might be slightly off as the new version is abundantly “golden”, not necessarily yellow, but definitely golden. I’m not going to beat the issue to death, but suffice it to say, five minutes into your viewing and this transfer looks terrific and you’re virtually guaranteed to forget anything relating to the so-called problems. The new Collector’s Edition is presented uncropped in its proper aspect ratio of 2.76:1 (realllllly wiiiiiide) and is widescreen enhanced, from restored 65 mm elements.

The only other comment I’ll make as it relates to color, is the presence of “reds”. Not only are the colors vibrant and lush, but reds are pushed (often looking exaggerated) and seem to suffer mis-registration issues. Skin tones looked rather accurate, although some of the close-ups render that “sunny – golden look” I referred to in the previous paragraph. Contrast and shadow detail are both excellent, and the level of detail is good, although unremarkable. Only a minimal amount of fine film-grain was present which leads to my next observation. One thing that does stand out is the amount of dimensionality, quite often displaying a gorgeous amount of texture and depth. The entire presentation – from start to finish – looks as “film-like” as you’ll ever see on DVD. Very impressive.

The print was virtually immaculate and free of any dust and dirt and void of scratches or blemishes – something newsworthy indeed considering we’re discussing a 45 year old film. Authoring seems to have been handled adequately as compression seemed to be non-existent. Edge enhancement never factors in here.

One last note of interest, my observations are based solely on the screening of this new Collector’s Edition as I do not have the previous disc to use as a gauge. For those interested, my video equipment consists of a Sharp DLP XV-Z9000U projector (ISF calibrated) on a 96” Stewart Firehawk screen via a Pioneer Elite 45Ai DVD player.

Video: 4/5
:star::star::star::star:

Audio:
The biggest bone of contention with the new release might not even be with the video portion of the transfer, but with the audio portion. Gone, is the original 6 channel track so the soundtrack is a 5.1 remix and by all accounts, is identical to what was presented on the original version. Overall, the track does a satisfactory job.

While the track is clean and free of hiss or other noisy distractions, it does seem slightly on the compressed side, lacking (perhaps constrained) in really high end effects. Dialogue was always bold and intelligible and due to the nature of the remix is pretty much anchored, front and center. Unfortunately, due to the loss of the original track, directional dialogue is no longer an option here. Sad, given the aspect ratio and its potential.

The dynamic range is somewhat broad (considering) and there’s a fair amount of heft to it. As he did with so many other films of the period, Miklos Rozsa's score is worthy of praise, eliciting just the right atmosphere and mood for the drama that’s about to unfold. Dialogue is never in competition during the brilliant score.

Surround use is rather limited to the subtle ambiance of crowds and a few of the action scenes however, most of this track takes place up front. Same with .1 usage, very limited however you’ll notice impressive hoofage during the infamous chariot race.

Audio: 3.5/5
:star::star::star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif

Special Features:
The set is comprised of four discs. While feature film is split over Disc One and Disc Two, the features look like this:

Discs One & Two:
[*] First up is an Audio Commentary by film historian T. Gene Hatcher with comments from Charlton Heston which apparently was ported over from the original release. The commentary provides plenty of interesting production tidbits including information relating to the original novel, author Lew Wallace, as well as the significance of Ben-Hur to the future of the MGM studio. Considering the popularity of the scene, Heston spends a great deal of time talking about his infamous chariot race scene and the training that was necessary. He also discusses Wyler's directorial style and offers some character anecdotes. An extremely informative and interesting track that fans of Ben-Hur and classic film will appreciate.
[*] An Isolated Music Track highlights Miklos Rozsa's glorious score. Rozsa brilliantly evokes a majestic yet biblical theme and as is typical with many of Rozsa's exceptional scores, this is a most worthy inclusion.

Disc Three:
[*] The four-disc set includes the original 1925 Silent Version as well, directed by Fred Niblo and starring Ramon Novarro as Judah Ben-Hur and Francis X. Bushman as Messala. Filmed mostly in black-and-white, with some tints and Technicolor sequences, it's accompanied by a stereophonic orchestral score composed by Carl Davis. Many would argue that this probably shouldn't be listed as a "special feature" and that may very well be the case however, regardless of where we place it, its inclusion is a welcome one – the ultimate companion piece.

The 1925 version looks terrific. The print contains a fair amount of grain, with nice texture and dimensionality. Grayscale is what we might expect for a film 80 years old. As we might imagine, there are signs of dirt, debris, and scratches but it never becomes bothersome. This is sure to please fans wanting to add this to their collections. Duration: 144:58 minutes.

There’s sure to be plenty of caps for the ’59 version posted all over the net, so let’s post a few for the ’25 version.

Disc Four:
[*] First up is Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema which includes interviews with a number of current filmmakers as well as participants from the actual production. The likes of Michael Douglas, Ridley Scott, George Lucas, and others praise the film, and director Wyler speaks of the film from archival footage. Lucas talks about how he borrowed from the film for the pod races, for example. Very interesting and informative. Duration: 57:42 minutes.
[*] Ben-Hur: The Making Of An Epic is a 1993 documentary, hosted by Christopher Plummer which contains a great deal of behind-the-scenes information. Again, very informative and entertaining. Duration: 58:11 minutes.
[*] Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures is an odd little feature which is an audiovisual recreation that contains a number of clips and stills, shots of written sheet music with scoring cues, production notes, shots of various characters and character clips. Duration: 5:08 minutes.
[*] Screen Tests contains a series of tests featuring Leslie Nielsen & Cesare Danova, Leslie Nielsen & Yale Wexler, George Baker & William Russell and Haya Harareet in hair and makeup tests. Just so hard to see Neilson as we expect him to look directly into the camera and raise a furled brow… Duration: 9:44 minutes.
[*] Vintage Newsreels Gallery. This feature contains 6 newsreels all relating to various gala and premiere openings across the country. All of these are in great shape. Duration: 9:31minutes.
[*] Highlights from the 4/4/60 Academy Awards Ceremony features a number of huge stars of the period, many of whom were in the running for a statue that night. Great old footage but there are some audio issues, particularly at the start of the feature – dropouts – at least there was with my copy. If only the speeches were like that today, I might actually, once again, watch the awards. Duration: 9:44 minutes.
[*] The Theatrical Trailer Gallery contains 5 trailers consisting of the following:

- 1959 Loew’s Theater Teaser
- 1959 Theatrical Trailer
- 1961 General Release #1
- 1961 General Release #2
- 1969 70mm Re-issue Trailer
[*] And finally….. a 38-page reproduction of the The Story of the Making of Ben-Hur - Souvenir Booklet is included with plenty of stills and factual information relating to the production.

Short of including perhaps a swatch from one of Heston’s many costumes or a sandal lace, I can’t imagine anything else being included here – an absolute complete and perfect package.

Special Features: 5/5
:star::star::star::star::star:

**Special Features rated for the quality of supplements, not the quantity**

Final Thoughts:
Often criticized for it's length, Ben-Hur plods along at a snail’s pace, a film which also demonstrates that perhaps too much of a good thing is not always better. Many have since lamented that William Wyler was considered an inappropriate choice for the task. Wyler was an immensely talented director of dramas - The Little Foxes (1941), Mrs. Miniver (1942) and The Best Years of Our Lives - (1946) who also directed a few comedies and thrillers, but his ability to direct anything on an epic scale has long been questioned. Admittedly, it doesn't help that this reviewer isn't all that keen on the film itself. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say however, I have a great deal of respect for what was accomplished. Hey, 11 Oscars later and one of the most celebrated films of all time, Ben-Hur has become a true classic, one almost impossible to criticize in any way, shape or form. And one thing is for sure, the picture epitomizes the term "epic" as it relates to classic film.

I suspect many fans of this film will purchase this package on the strength of the '25 silent version alone. Despite what I now consider a few minor hiccups in terms of the presentation, fans of the film with realistic expectations should be ecstatic with this new edition. The special features are among the best you’ll see complementing a film worthy of such acclaim. Certainly a contender for one of the year’s best releases.

Overall Rating: 4/5 (not an average)
:star::star::star::star:

Highly Recommended.

Release Date: September 13th, 2005

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the review, Herb. This is one impresssive package, even if it does not meet everyone's high standards of perfection. I can't wait to actually find the time to watch all of it! :)

- Steve

StevenFC

Second Unit
I don't know, it's a good set, but I was expecting more for a movie of this stature. Maybe a gift set version or something. But I certainly can't complain for 25 smackers.

The video is simply a matter of taste and that's all you can say since there are no actual "problems" with it. The new doc didn't really do anything for me--in fact I thought it kind of rambled a bit.

thumbs up :emoji_thumbsup:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Excellent review! I still haven't unwrapped my copy yet,but I can't wait to find the time to do so. The screenshots of both versions look great.

TedD

Supporting Actor

Only if you don't consider color mis-registration issues for approximately 20% of it's running time to be a "problem".

Ted

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the reds, I'm flat out not seeing it. Whether my equipment is masking it or not is another story but I do know that the Pioneer 45 dvd player you are using does have the chroma bug so I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Pioneer DVD 45 Chroma Bug Link

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Thanks Douglas, I've clarified what I meant to type initially. Appreciate that.

Shane,

That's a possibility however, I've never quite experienced reds looking similar on other titles. And to be clear, it's not invasive or bothersome, but merely an observation. Just goes to show that the equipment used will certainly have varying effects on each and every title within our own HT environments.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
As adults, we all should have an idea of how lasting the vivid memory of a 9 year old could be. Possibly taking a form that could last through ones life. For me, seeing Ben-Hur originally released in the theaters in 1959 had one particular lasting effect. It showed me my favorite color, RED.

Knowing that I love that color and to be more exact, that particular hue of the color red in my memory that was presented on the theater screen in 1959, similar, but not exactly the same hue of red that is representing the color in its digital rendering today, reminds me that the color RED was definitely a predominant color/accent/style or even possibly it could be called a (pseudo prop?) in the film.

Herb Kane mentions that the color red is "vibrant and lush, but reds are pushed (often looking exaggerated) and seem to suffer mis-registration issues." And to some extent I would have to agree, but just barely over the line drawn that would be called exaggerated and pushed and not "pushed" in the sense, where it would be affecting any other color or the total temperature of the film.

Paul

TedD

Supporting Actor
Shane:

Who's using a Pioneer player?

I certainly am not. I am using an HTPC with the NVidia Purevideo decoders that most certainly don't have any chroma bug. I have confirmed this with DVE Pro test patterns. If a player has the chroma bug or any kind of color misregistration issues, then Moulin Rouge, specifically any scenes with the red lights on the windmill is an excellent test.

http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/BenHurReg.png
http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/BenHur_Reg2.png
http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/BenHur_Reg4.png
http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/BenHur_Reg5.png

clearly show the issue. It is present off and on for maybe 20% or so of the pictures running time. There are scenes where the red is perfectly registered, there are other scenes where red is offset to the right.

Here are some other screen caps with red:
http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/Moulin_01.png

This one is particularly worthy of note as it shows the capabilities of the NVidia Purevideo decoder and ffdshow processing from a DVD when feeding a high resolution display.
http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/NYMin_1.png

This one is also an acid test for players with the chroma bug....
http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/zp40048.png
Make sure you display the images at full size.....

You don't say what your viewing environment is....

Ted

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I can see the misregistration of the red on my set up as well. it is not consistent thru the film, but it is there at various points throughout. i wonder if that is one of the culprits as to why the film appears slightly blurry and ill-defined.

in regards to the look of the colors in general, i actually thought the more golden look was wonderfully rich compared to what i have seen of the original transfer. in this regard i would check the new CE as an improvment. and of course, you pick up the peripheries of the image that were cropped out of the earlier version.
on the other hand, watching the "Epic That Changed Cinema" feature it appears that they are using the clips from the older transfer within and the difference between the two is startling (to me) with the older transfer coming across as much more dynamic and visceral in regards to the level of clarity. in terms of just resolution of detail , those clips looks like hi-def compared to the same scenes within the feature.
after watching the film, i watched some of the special features, and after seeing the clips in that feature, i immediately wanted to run out and pick up the earlier disc to 'upgrade'.

looks to me like the CE is several strides forward (framing, color, black level/detail) and one giant step back (clarity, resolved detail)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The misregistration is in the original disc too......look at the torches on the walls early in the film.....they have severe red fringing.....and it is also on the original disc.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Scott:

Sorry, but if you see red fringing on the original disc, you have a convergence problem with your equipment. Edit: Or you could be seeing the dreaded chroma bug.

http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/Torches.png

Left is the original DVD, right is the new DVD.

Also, I did some careful studying of the three examples we have of a single scene.

http://webpages.charter.net/tvdias/combined.png

Warning!!!! Large file (~3 MB, don't try this unless you have a high bandwidth connection.

Top to bottom:
70mm re-release trailer (DVD 4), New DVD, previous DVD.

Make sure you display at full res (1920x2322)

2 things really jumped out at me when I did the comparison.

The first is the total lack of visible film grain on the current SE DVD. This is never a good sign WRT transfer quality, because if you can't see grain, you can be sure of not seeing fine details either. The second is that the current DVD is the only one of the three versions that has visible EE on it. This tells me an attempt was made to enhance the sharpness.

If you really want to study it, download it to your HD and then open it with Windows picture and fax viewer. Zoom in some more and look at the multiple halos at the edge of the letterbox bars which are a sure sign that EE has been applied. Look at each area of each frame and make some comparisons.

These are not the exact same frame, but are as close as I could get without taking an excessive amount of time.

Ted

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's not my tv, or my player. The fringing occurs in the exact same spots on both discs, but is a little harder to see on the original...but it's there. The pictures you posted aren't the torches I'm talking about..they are on the right side of the screen when Stephen Boyd arrives and is taking his armour off. Also, like Robert Crawford observed, the crosses at the end of the film do not exhibit fringing on my copy...they are the exact same brown as on the original.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Look at Jesus' left thumb in the middle picture. The outline of the thumb's position in the previous frame, just to the left, is visible. This is a sign of overzealous DVNR.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ted,

By what algorithm were the images enlarged and why? It's generally preferable, if you want to study a DVD image, to leave it at the exact resolution it has on disc.

Those lines along the upper and lower frame edges are, IMO, not conclusive for EE, it could be compression artifacts as well. Or on the original film: note that part of the film is cut off in the upper and lower images.

In fact, I see no evidence of EE in the new (middle picture) except some lines (look at the lower curve of the right - = upper in the image - hand and arm of the Man) that are present in all three - and could very well be compression artifacts as well, or movement. If you look under the right hand of the man, you'll even notice that it isn't present on the new DVD image, while it is on the other two.

Of course, as you said, the frames are not all three the same.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, so I cannot give an opinion based on own observations. Sorry for that.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Or simply a result of movement. Don't forget that you may be looking at still frames, but the original is a movie.

And look more carefully: it's actually there in all three.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks