Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Upgradind to studio Paradigm

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   fritz dg

fritz dg

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 03:10 AM

Hello everyone I am getting ready to upgrade my font stage from Monitor 11s v4 to studio 100s and currently I am running HK avr 525 70 watts x 7 but soon I'll be going to separate amp and using the HK as a pre pro I'll be looking at NAD T973 140 x 7, my question is, until I get the NAD or whatever amp I decide on, will I have a hard time driving the studios since they are less sensitive than the Monitors? the Monitors are rated at 94 room/ 91 Anechoic sensitivity and the studios 91 room and 88 Anechoic is this a big deal I'd like to hear from Studio owners ,will I notice a substantial improvement just using the HK? any ideas or suggestions are welcome thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 03:22 AM

HI, NOt sure why I am posting this other than that I own a set of 100's (v2). I don't have HK equipment but run the 100's using a 200 x 2 Denon. Personally, with these speakers, the more power the better is my answer. I have a Yamaha DSP-a1 which is 110 w x 5 and I never used it to drive the 100's b/c I though they weren't powerful enough. They probably are but I had the extra amp so why not? I know that doesn't answer your question (at all) but I think you will be satisfied with the 70 W - the speakers aren't that hard to drive - but ultimately more power will make these speakers sing. Regards, Dave

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   WayneO

WayneO

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 01:02 PM

70W isn't gonna power those 100's to anything but moderate volumes. You'll notice a sound quality improvement for sure, but they'll suck the life outta that amp. I have Studio 60's on a 150WPC amp and they sound great, most 100 owners say 200WPC is the best bet.
If the best advice is "listen for yourself", then why offer your opinion?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 02:37 PM

Yep, I was powering my old 100s with 200 watt monoblocks and they did a helluva job. You can get by with that receiver temporarily, but with such a nice speaker as the 100s, do them justice and give them some nice clean power. If money is an issue, check out audiogon and find a nice used amp. You'll be glad that you did!
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   fritz dg

fritz dg

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies I just pulled the trigger on the 100s today I get them Monday and I have a 9 day vacation period to break them in what is a good match in the 200 WPC range I was thinking NAD amp and use my HK as a pre pro, or get another receiver any suggestions are welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users