What's new

Upgradind to studio Paradigm (1 Viewer)

fritz dg

Auditioning
Hello everyone
I am getting ready to upgrade my font stage from Monitor 11s v4 to studio 100s and currently I am running HK avr 525 70 watts x 7 but soon I'll be going to separate amp and using the HK as a pre pro

I'll be looking at NAD T973 140 x 7, my question is, until I get the NAD or whatever amp I decide on, will I have a hard time driving the studios since they are less sensitive than the Monitors? the Monitors are rated at 94 room/ 91 Anechoic sensitivity and the studios 91 room and 88 Anechoic is this a big deal I'd like to hear from Studio owners ,will I notice a substantial improvement just using the HK?

any ideas or suggestions are welcome thanks

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

NOt sure why I am posting this other than that I own a set of 100's (v2). I don't have HK equipment but run the 100's using a 200 x 2 Denon. Personally, with these speakers, the more power the better is my answer.

I have a Yamaha DSP-a1 which is 110 w x 5 and I never used it to drive the 100's b/c I though they weren't powerful enough. They probably are but I had the extra amp so why not?

I know that doesn't answer your question (at all) but I think you will be satisfied with the 70 W - the speakers aren't that hard to drive - but ultimately more power will make these speakers sing.

Regards,

Dave

WayneO

Supporting Actor
70W isn't gonna power those 100's to anything but moderate volumes. You'll notice a sound quality improvement for sure, but they'll suck the life outta that amp. I have Studio 60's on a 150WPC amp and they sound great, most 100 owners say 200WPC is the best bet.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Yep, I was powering my old 100s with 200 watt monoblocks and they did a helluva job. You can get by with that receiver temporarily, but with such a nice speaker as the 100s, do them justice and give them some nice clean power. If money is an issue, check out audiogon and find a nice used amp. You'll be glad that you did!

fritz dg

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies I just pulled the trigger on the 100s today I get them Monday and I have a 9 day vacation period to break them in what is a good match in the 200 WPC
range

I was thinking NAD amp and use my HK as a pre pro, or get another receiver any suggestions are welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks