What's new

Need advice on a dvd player (1 Viewer)

bullion416

Auditioning
I need to get a dvd player within the next couple days. Right now, we have an older Panasonic 5-disc dvd changer (does not have progressive scan). Since the purchase of that dvd player we have gotten a SONY 50" LCD projection tv which is simply amazing, however I want to take advantage of its true potential with a progressive scan dvd player (and one that will actually play dvd-r's). I was told that Toshiba makes one of the best player out there. I basically need to know if those new upconversion players are worth the money or if I should just buy a regular progressive scan player and save myself some money. Right now, I have really only looked at the Toshiba SD-5980 which has the upconversion technology. What players would you recommend? I need one soon because it will be a birthday gift. Thanks

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If your Sony has HDMI, then I say yes it's worth getting an upconversion player. Instead of making a recommendation, try Secrets Of HiFi. They have a shootout on all the upconverting players and you can choose from there.

bullion416

Auditioning
The tv has dvi, but not hdmi...i know they make cables that have dvi on one end and hdmi on the other....would I benefit from using a cable like that or does it give me no picture quality advantage?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
These cables work fine and can be had for around 40 to 50 bucks. HDMI has the ability to carry audio signals as well where as DVI is just video. It's the same thing without the audio.

bullion416

Auditioning
It's kind of funny how they decided to embed audio and video in one cable like that when optical cables yield less signal loss. I would rather use dvi along with an optical cable personally. Any ways, where would you suggest buying a hdmi to dvi cable from and what brand should I get? I know best buy sells monster cable ones but they are a complete rip off (about $200 for that cable).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I got mine from Blue Jean Cables and the service is good. Again I paid 49.00 for a 10foot run. The cable appears to be well constructed with gold ends. My only problem is that with the upscaling player I have Zenith DVB 318 had a problem sending the signal via DVI to HDMI since the player upscaled via component. The thing about the service with Blue Jean is that I told them the story and they said all I have to do is send the cable back with the original packing receipt and they would credit my charge account. Once you get the player you have to understand the difference between male and female connections. I'm pretty sure you do, just make sure that the right ends are ordered. DVD ->female ->male->cable end->opposite cable end->male ->female-> t.v.

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
Bullion146 -
I am laughing because I'm almost certain we have the same setup and in the same situations. I, too, have an older Panasonic 5 disc changer (CV51, I think), wishing it were progressive scan and played DVD-R because I bought the 50" Sony LCD tv (WE655) a few months ago.

I've been looking at the newer Panasonic (87) and Sony DVP-NC80V, both 5 disc changers as replacements.

I'd be interested in knowing what you finally end up. Please keep us informed! Thanks.

bullion416

Auditioning
Yeah, I can't say I liked that panasonic dvd player at all. It would skip a lot which was probably a result of the optical pickup over heating...which best buy ended up replacing since I had the extended service plan on it. Not to mention it says right on the front label that it will play dvd-r's but it would always say invalid media when I tried to play one. Any ways, I picked up the Toshiba sd-5980 which has the upconversion technology....it is only a single disc player but I don't mind, not to mention I don't think they make an upconversion in a 5-disc changer yet. From the research I did, Toshiba seems to make one of the best dvd players out there. I will let you know how big of a difference I notice from my upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks