Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Grindhouse - New Tarantino/Rodriguez film announced..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
265 replies to this topic

#1 of 266 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted May 26 2005 - 06:41 AM

From IMDB.com:

"Outgoing Miramax chiefs Bob Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein announced Wednesday that they plan to release a kind of duet horror film next spring in which one hour will be written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and the other, by Robert Rodriguez. The two films, they said, will be packaged under the title Grind House. The brothers also announced that they will begin releasing a slate of 13 films in theaters beginning next October, one month after finally severing their relationship with Disney. They include sequels to Scary Movie and Sin City. "We have said all along that we would hit the ground running and we are confident that this slate will represent and deliver the kind of movies that audiences will love," the Weinsteins said in a statement."

Sweet, so I'm assuming Grind House will be like the Romero/Argento film "Two Evil Eyes". I can hardly wait!

Edit:

More info:

"The movie will be a throwback to 42nd Street-style double bills of the past: The filmmakers will each contribute an hour-long fright flick, with trailers and additional bonus material from other filmmakers placed in between to complete the "grindhouse" experience. Tarantino has said that this could be the first of a series."

#2 of 266 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 01:09 AM

dear god, this should be fantastic.

I don't think there are any clips for Tarantino's part of this film in this teaser, but it still looks fantastic!!!

~Jason
~Jason

#3 of 266 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 01:20 AM

Quentin was still shooting his film when we were down in Austin for Fantastic Fest a couple weeks ago. A few of my friends got to go on set (one of them shot a film that Quentin is a fan of) and they had a blast. Anyway, I don't think you'll be seeing footage just yet. But soon. And yeah - this is gonna kick some serious ass. April can't get here soon enough!

Cheers,

Jason

#4 of 266 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 06:54 AM

One of the UK import rags (Empire, I think) reported that this isn't just a fun side project for the two- both segments have ballooned to 2 hours each!

Regards,
Nathan
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#5 of 266 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,146 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted October 11 2006 - 07:17 AM

Quote:
both segments have ballooned to 2 hours each!

Well, I hope that's not true because we'll be waiting years for an "uncut" film just like with KILL BILL. There's no way a studio is going to release a 4+ hour film.

#6 of 266 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:37 AM

Two hours apiece? Perhaps they could convince theaters to play it as an actual double feature, with a (gasp!) intermission. A guy can dream...

That trailer...whoah. Like Sin City in color.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#7 of 266 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Morris
Two hours apiece? Perhaps they could convince theaters to play it as an actual double feature, with a (gasp!) intermission. A guy can dream...

Maybe I'm imagining it but I seem to recall an interview in which Tarantino said that's what they're hoping for.

#8 of 266 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:23 AM

He mentioned the double feature concept at Comic Con.

#9 of 266 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,301 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 11 2006 - 09:30 AM

Whoa! That looks awesome. My dream of seeing Tom Savini and Michael Biehn in the same movie comes true! Posted Image

#10 of 266 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 12:02 PM

I loved every moment of that preview. The teaser posters from a few months ago are absolutely stunning, and the preview makes me want these movies even more... well, at least Planet Terror (the Rodriguez one).

Doug

#11 of 266 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 12:46 PM

Does anyone know what that song is playing in the background? Oh, and Rose McGowan looks HOT in that opening scene. Can't wait to see this flick! Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#12 of 266 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 12:48 PM

I'm not much for splatter films, but I'm sure I'll have to see what these guys come up with. Rose does look pretty smokin' there, especially toting that BFG!

#13 of 266 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:08 PM

Wow. Just imagine what the Tarantino flick's going to bring to the table, too. It's hard to believe this is going to be two separate films. You know the distributor won't be able to resist releasing them seperately, though. like Kill Bill. I can't believe they'd be willing to pass up the extra revenue.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#14 of 266 OFFLINE   Matthew_Def

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 02:29 PM

Last I heard each film would be around 70 minutes or so. That is feature length, and would not be ridiculous as a double feature.

#15 of 266 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:37 PM

Awsome. Looks like it could be the second greatest movie ever.

#16 of 266 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted October 11 2006 - 03:53 PM

Rodriguez does a good job evoking 70s Carpenter - it's even more clear in the Comic Con footage (wait till you hear the synth score). I think more than anything, these two films are gonna play like love letters to Carpenter.

You also got the impression at Comic Con - by the crowd's orgasmic reaction to this footage - that the gauntlet was being thrown at Tarantino.(He was just about to begin principal photography).

Can't wait for Kurt Russell as an antagonist....

#17 of 266 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,022 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 12 2006 - 03:43 AM

The trailer shown at the Scream awards looked fantastic.

The only problem is the fake trailers (In this case "My Name Is Machette") look just as kick ass as the actual movie.

#18 of 266 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
The trailer shown at the Scream awards looked fantastic.

The only problem is the fake trailers (In this case "My Name Is Machette") look just as kick ass as the actual movie.

They have said that if this release does well, they might look to do sequels in which they turn those fake trailers into actual movies. Of course, Tarantino's always talking about all these big ideas he never makes time for, so take with a grain of salt. Be cool to see, though Posted Image

#19 of 266 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted October 12 2006 - 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G

Actually moreso if you ask me. Then again, we haven't even seen footage of Tarantino's part yet so I'm sure there's some MAJOR ass kickery to come. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#20 of 266 OFFLINE   Doug Miller

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 13 2006 - 12:59 PM

Andy --

Yeah, this project has been on the backburner for a few years. They were talking about this well before Sin City.

Doug

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow