• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#1 of 311 Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 11:25 PM

Fox have just confirmed that The Simpsons complete sixth season will be released on DVD August 16th. No cover art or special features have been announced yet. Most probaly it will be similar to the previous sets. Cant wait for this. Some excellent episodes.

I just realised i posted this in the wrong place. Hopefully one of the admins will shift it. Sorry.
"Hell it's all my fault Mike, I never should have got out of the truck"
Travis Walton - Fire In The Sky

Click Here To Email Me

#2 of 311 PaulP

PaulP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 02:32 PM

Amazon has the box. I'm shocked.

Posted Image

#3 of 311 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 02:34 PM

Not a fan of this at all. I'll still get it of course, but I hate boxes like this. At least it'll fit on the shelf.

#4 of 311 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 02:39 PM

Another Posted Image on the box. The boxes for S1-S5 were classy and looked nice on a shelf. This looks like it's made out of thin plastic and will likely crack.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#5 of 311 Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 03:18 PM

I was on the fence about this set (only 3-4 episodes that I significantly like in Season 6). If Fox actually uses a box like that, I will definitely take that set off of my shopping list. Since that image does not seem to be on Amazon's page for the DVD set at the moment, hopefully that is a sign that someone is rethinking that design.

#6 of 311 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,762 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 20 2005 - 03:35 PM

I wish they had stayed with the uniformity of the boxes but this isn't something that will or won't get me to buy the set. I find the change weird since Fox always (to the best of my memory) sticks to the same packaging style for an entire series.

Although I'm sure some people (who seem to care more about the box than the content of the discs) will be seriously pissed off about thisPosted Image

And when they get to her, how are they gonna do Marge's hair?

#7 of 311 BrianEX

BrianEX

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 03:42 PM

I'm not particularly fond of the packaging since there are so many other couch gags that they could use, but I suppose the episodes themselves are what's important. Besides, the truly obsessive fans will just make their own boxes that match what they want.

They'll probably do Marge's hair the same way they draw it when she's in the car- fold it over on its side.
"Strive for perfection even if
others must suffer." - Hook

#8 of 311 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 04:27 PM

I don't like the fact that the "sameness" of Seasons 1 thru 5 is being so drastically destroyed by this new S.6 look. Although, gotta say, it is colorful. (Perhaps "movable eyeballs" would be a good idea here; that'd be something kinda new -- instead of "animated menus", we'd get "Animated Packaging". Posted Image)

The "Marge head" package was mentioned earlier. Good point -- with her six-mile-high head of hair, that one will take up two shelves (vertically). LOL! Posted Image

Re. this packaging --

It's possible, I suppose, that a "regular"-style box could be housed INSIDE this plastic outer "shell". That would be preferred by this writer. Perhaps FOX execs just wanted to "spice up" the look of Season 6 to aid potential sales. And this bright-as-the-sun yellow case should attract attention I would think.

But, from this 3-D look at it, I can't see HOW a "regular" style box could FIT INSIDE this thing -- doesn't appear nearly DEEP enough to accommodate it (unless they've "pulled an Andy Griffith" and replaced the previously-used Digipaks with "ThinPak" cases and have them as "Double ThinPaks", with more than 1 disc per slim case inside this Homer Head).

But, if this is not just a "shell" to house another box, I don't like the fact there's no spine text at all here. That ain't good at all. Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 of 311 Nathan Phillips

Nathan Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 04:53 PM

Quote:
I don't like the fact there's no spine text at all here. That ain't good at all.

I agree. I took my Walt Disney Treasures out of their tins because of this.

#10 of 311 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 05:04 PM

Okay, that box is fuckin' ridiculous.

Fox should stop hiring designers to make this crap and spend that money on clearing music rights for "The Wonder Years".

Eat my shorts, Fox.

#11 of 311 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 20 2005 - 05:15 PM

Hate it, plain and simple. Love the show, love the season, hate the box. It's going to look extremely awkward on my shelf sitting alongside seasons 1-5. Although the case won't stop me from purchasing the set, I'd like to know what brilliant minds decided to concoct this. Different? Yes. Colorful? Yes. Acceptable? NO.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#12 of 311 Joe:C

Joe:C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 05:21 PM

Count me as another Posted Image I'd rather they stick with the uniform packaging.

#13 of 311 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 05:44 PM

While I really like the new package design, I wish they'd continue to use the standard DigiPak for the remaining seasons. I think the new "head" package could be better used for a "Best of Homer" compilation. Each character could then have their own "Best of..." release in custom/limited packaging. They would still stand out as unique, and would probably get many additional sales from all the "double-dippers" that just had to have the cool packages.

#14 of 311 David Williams

David Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 07:24 PM

I have a huge hate-on for the new packaging... this is gonna look too out of place on the shelf next to seasons 1-5. I already felt that S1 was out of place with its muted color scheme compared to the brighter colors of the following seasons. Looks like I have more to worry about now. Posted ImagePosted Image

Quote:
But, from this 3-D look at it, I can't see HOW a "regular" style box could FIT INSIDE this thing

-SNIP-

(unless they've "pulled an Andy Griffith" and replaced the previously-used Digipaks with "ThinPak" cases

I would bet good money that's what they did. The Homer shell looks it's just big enough for 2 thinpaks, which would work if they doubled up the discs ala Wonderfalls.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#15 of 311 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 08:17 PM

Well, I've had the packaging consistency of pretty much every TV show I collect destroyed by changed packaging over the last couple of months. Why should The Simpsons be any different?

I have to agree though, this thing is gonna get soo damaged in transit.

Chris

#16 of 311 CynthiaH

CynthiaH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 08:29 PM

I wouldn't mind the packaging quite so much if we knew for sure when the show was going to end. For example, if it were already over with, and we knew there were 15 seasons, then I wouldn't mind so much that 6-10 have the heads of Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa, and then 11-15 were back to the normal packaging. But, we're already on season 16, so that kills that.

I'm okay with my Gilmore Girls sets having gotten thinner, but this is far too drastic of a change for me. Another NO vote.

#17 of 311 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 08:45 PM

I really hope somebody from Fox reads this thread. If they had done this from the start, then fine. But i like continuity on my self. I don't know if i will buy this now

#18 of 311 Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted June 20 2005 - 11:59 PM

I have fallen behind in collecting The Simpsons... still only have the first 2 seasons... but I do plan on getting all the sets as I can.

I have to agree with 2 things in this thread...

First... The new package sucks! Posted Image

and like Matt said... I do think these would be perfect for "Best of" each character sets... I would even go as far as going further then the Simpsons family and branch out to those like Mr. Burns, Moe, Ned, Barney, Krusty, Otto... and whoever else that you think would be good for a collection of their own.

Edit:
Though I would like to see something on the spine... that is a big drawback as well.

#19 of 311 Jim Blakely

Jim Blakely

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 01:08 AM

I would prefer they follow a consistent packaging across all the seasons. I don't hate the new package, I just wish they would have started it from the beginning. They sure have enough characters for all 16+ seasons.

Packaging really doesn't get to me anymore since I've long ago run out of shelf space and my DVDs are kept in large binders.

#20 of 311 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 02:19 AM

Not a fan of the box, but that's marketing for you. Once they're all released, it'll be easy enough to make new cover art and replace the cases with multi-disc ones (like I'm using for Star Trek).
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow