Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

a superior popcorn experience

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 01:57 PM

I was in this "National Warehouse Liquidators" type place last week and I saw this thing for a buck, so I bought it:

The Amazing Kernel Katcher!

So, you dump your microwave popcorn into this bowl and the unpopped kernels fall through the holes in the bottom of the bowl and collect in this shallow, screw-off bottom tray, and thus you avoid kracking your teeth on them!

I had a superior popcorn experience with this evening's film, and I thought you all would appreciate knowing about it. If you can find one of these things, it's well worth the buck. How come I didn't think of inventing this?

Plus, they actually do spell "catcher" with a "K" on it. Which added to the experience, truly. Posted Image

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 11:37 PM

I just purchased one of these... classic stainless stovetop poppers.

I've also come accross the following two websites which offer gourmet stovetop popcorn kernels in a choice of varieties and flavors, who knew there were so many different kinds of popcorn!

http://www.popcornlo...om/flavors.html

http://www.crownjewe...pcorn_line.html

I might buy a sampler pack of each to see which are the best and than stock up the pantry.

Microwave popcorn just isn't the same... I figure since I've put so much money and effort into a high scale home theatre, I can't skimp out on the snacks!

Posted Image

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:42 AM

Marco, I have to tell you: Right after I posted this dumb thread about my popcorn experience, of all things, I then saw your SECOND THREAD in as many days about horrible things happening to you. And I felt like a dolt for being like, "Lookit my popcorn thing," while you were freaking out about serious stuff. Anyway, I hope things are sort of leveling off for you. Another friend railed on me for eating microwave popcorn, as well. He also has a pro popper that he says is tremendous and pops every kernel and all that. I'm sure your popcorn is professionally great, I said to him. But, I just don't have time for that. I'm a microwave, take it when I can, popcorn kind of guy. Small home theater, small popcorn needs, you see? Keep it in the road, Marco! MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:52 AM

That spiffy new genetically engineered popcorn will finally solve this vexing problem once and for all.

http://www.freep.com...9e_20050419.htm
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 01:15 AM

Thanks Micah, don't worry about it! I actually managed to salvage a lot of the DVD's I'd thought were ruined so there only ended up being about 10 or so that actually need to be replaced. Still frustrating considering how careful I normally am in handling them and keeping them in pristine condition but I guess there are more serious things to worry about. :/ Stovetop popcorn actually takes about the same time as microwave popcorn btw. Sure there's a little more involved but it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes tops to enjoy real theatre style popcorn in your HT!

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Craig F

Craig F

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 03:15 AM

Stronger hulls? No thanks, I hate the hulls getting stuck in my teeth way more than unpopped kernels. I would vote for hull-less popcorn any day (it does exist.)

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 03:16 PM

Marco, I'm curious how you like the Cabela's stovetop popper. Most stovetop poppers I've looked into are prone to complaints about durability and construction. How sturdy is it? Would you recommend a purchase? Thanks for your thoughts!

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 03:24 PM

3 words for a superior popcorn experience:

White

Cheddar

Cheese

Posted Image
Spoiler tags are cool.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted April 24 2005 - 12:19 PM

So, they found a way to charge $5 for a $2 civ? Now tell me where to find the hull-less popcorn!
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted April 25 2005 - 12:26 PM

Sorry Norm,

I haven't officially moved into my condo yet, another couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

The minute I make popcorn though, I'll let you know. Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Craig F

Craig F

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 07:53 PM

When I was was a kid, we grew it in our garden. I've never seen it in the greocery store (unfortuantely).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users