Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Dodge City (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted April 17 2005 - 01:10 PM

My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,475 posts

Posted April 17 2005 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the well written and informative review Herb! I've seen some Flynn movies before but mostly those not in this set. I'm really looking forward to seeing these films for the first time. This set is a perfect example of how Warners' excellent reputation (& value in their box sets) has spurred me to buy something mostly blind and expand my appreciation of classic film. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,786 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 17 2005 - 04:56 PM

Herb, Again, another great review and after watching this boxset completely, I can't wait for a second Errol Flynn boxset. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted April 17 2005 - 05:11 PM

I’m presently working on The Sea Hawk and just finished watching They Died With Their Boots On… and I am thoroughly pleased and impressed with both presentations.

So far, this is a fantastic set.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,480 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 18 2005 - 01:33 AM

Bring 'em on Herb!
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   alistairKerr

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 18 2005 - 05:31 AM

I can remember viewing this on UK television a few years ago - and seeing a radio or power mast in the background of one of the shots during the opening train sequence - it'll be crystal-clear now - on DVD! My box set is on the way ......... Alistair

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 08:16 AM

cannot wait to finally see this for the first time great review as always
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 09:41 AM

Lovely review. However: Lincoln Hurst and Robert Osborne are "heavy hitters"??? Posted Image

Rudy Behlmer, maybe. But Mr. Hurst and Mr. Osborne do not cut it for me, nor does Mr. Maltin for that matter. One of the reasons I enjoyed the documentary in the set is because they concentrate on interviews with people who actually have some knowledge of the subject and some tie to the subject. There are still the few odd people who don't, but they are not that prevalent here.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,786 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 18 2005 - 11:15 AM

I have a very high opinion of Rudy Behlmer, Hurst and Robert Osborne. Maltin is good at what he does and serves a good role for educating those with little knowledge of classic films. Also, I met him once and thought he was a very nice man. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,475 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 12:23 PM

Robert Osborne has a genuine love for classic film and is interesting and that makes him a welcome addition in my book. Ditto for Maltin. These guys get knocked occasionally, but they all contribute to the cause and all seem like genuinely nice people who are eager to share their knowledge and love of old film with others. Sometimes I think that if it wasn't for guys like Maltin fueling the "nostalgia boom" in the late 60s/early 70s that many of these films would have been forgotten by now and the market wouldn't be as strong as it is. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 12:32 PM

And that, as they say, is a difference of opinion. Lincoln Hurst is, for me, completely pedantic and uninteresting. Maltin and Osborne obviously have a love of film, true, but again, for me they are boring and have nothing enlightening to say - maybe for the plebes, yes, but I'm so bored of seeing them on every WB DVD I frequently skip the extras now. Behlmer is entertaining and has a wealth of knowledge. Him I like.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,786 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 18 2005 - 07:24 PM

Fine, now that we have that understanding, there won't be a need for you to comment any further on something that is obviously beneath you and is totally a waste of your time. Furthermore, much of the bonus material is not intended for the more knowledgable videophile and instead is directed towards the more casual film fan. In short, the mass market consumers. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Barrie Maxwell

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 01:20 AM

I get exceedingly tired of people slamming the likes of Leonard Maltin and Robert Osborne. These are individuals with vast stores of knowledge about classic films who often have to temper the nature of their comments for the mass audience. Anyone who knows anything about their backgrounds will also know that they have probably forgotten more about classic film than you or I will ever know. To look down one's nose at them is simply to show one's own ignorance of the classic film history field. Barrie

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 02:04 AM

thanks for highlighting this particular title with a review Herb. i mentioned in another thread that while i was picking up the set, it was more out of convienence (fulfills a CH club obligation in a very economical way), and wanting to pick up one of the pirate films, than from a burning desire to watch any of the other titles soon. especially the westerns. i could always buy Flynn as a pirate, or as 12th Century English outlaw- but the thought of him as a western 'star' never seemed to jibe with me. but now, seeing that one screencap of Flynn and DeHavilland on the prairie...i'm actually begining to very much look forward to the set. and this film in particular.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,185 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 07:52 AM

"In Like Flynn" Posted Image

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 02:33 AM

my set finally came in tuesday, and couldn't wait to put in Dodge City. a lot of fun.
a couple thoughts kept going thru my mind as i watched this. one was- like you say above Herb, some of these shots are as mouth watering/swoon inducing and just flat out breath-taking as any technicolor dvd i've ever seen. but yet a significant amount of the time i was very conscious of mal-registration. every Ultra resolution disc that has followed Singin' In The Rain has left me with a sense of "yeah it looks solid, but ...eh- it just not thrilling the way SITR was". well, after seeing Dodge City, my perspective has changed. when things are 'right' (like in every UR release following SITR) i guess i take them more for granted until i realize how things could have been. someday it would be nice to see this title get re-registered, but it probably won't be for a good long while (and i expect the first HD release will be from this same transfer). so as amazing as some of the close-ups could look here, and as brilliant as some of the colors can be- after the film was over i couldn't help but think about how much room for improvment there was. (i would guesstimate about 20-25% of the screentime i was seeing color fringing and poor detail due to compromised registration) sampling some of the other discs i was happy to see that Captain Blood doesn't seem to look as bad as people have been saying. i've definitely seen worse from Warner lately on some 30s titles. looking forward to going thru the rest of the set at leisure.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,673 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the great review Herb. Can't wait to watch this great and criminally underrated western again.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users