Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Incredibles killed my sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 10:10 AM

We were watching the incredibles this afternoon and all of a sudden my sub bottomed out and the from that point pop pop pop. I pulled the cover and sure enough three holes. Two in the actual cone and one in the suspension. Not a great loss, it was the only thing remaining from an old Kenwood HTiB. I have upgraded the receiver to a Denon 2802 and the Center, mains and souronds are Mirage AVS series. The only problem is that SWMBO is not gonna ok a big buck sub and is not real happy at the idea of replacing it at all. Looks like about $200.00 is the budget to replace the sub. Anybody got any suggestions on a decent sub in the $200.00 range that will blend well with my system? The room is a 16 x 18 family room with over half of one wall open to the kitchen.
Rob Ritch

Quote from SWMBO after seeing first HD football game "Holy crap I can count the grass blades, this is cool" She finally understands benefit of my HT

My Home TheaterMy DVD Collection

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 10:30 AM

Heh, yeah, that was a bass-heavy movie Posted Image Posted Image

For $200, look at 'the' Dayton sub:

http://www.partsexpr....=300-632&DID=7

Or be a man and spend ~$500 on a nice SVS or HSU and be done with it. Posted Image

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 10:33 AM

Heh, I was actually waiting for when the first "The Incredibles killed my sub" thread would appear...! Posted Image

Oh well, more customers to SVS and HSU...

#4 of 70 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

Yeah, the sub AND surround speakers got a great workout.

This movie will no doubt be in the home theater reference pile.

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   William_Gravem

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 10:41 AM

I just watched that this afternoon as well... the room shook throughout and I started wondering if this movie was going to cause anyone any problems. I read that this movie puts out bass below 20hz.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice on the $200.00 sub question. I've seen a lot of posts where people have a 100.00 budget, I think Dayton is the general recommendation around here. Good luck.

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 16 2005 - 12:04 PM

There are plenty of movies that have sound below 20Hz.

The Dayton is only $129 + tax & shipping.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 16 2005 - 01:43 PM

Ended up picking up a Veladyne VX10 for $200 from Tweeter
Rob Ritch

Quote from SWMBO after seeing first HD football game "Holy crap I can count the grass blades, this is cool" She finally understands benefit of my HT

My Home TheaterMy DVD Collection

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 03:30 AM

FWIW, Onecall has it one sale for $128. Go to the "Deals" section on this site and look under yesterday's date.

#9 of 70 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:26 AM

Just how subsonic heavy & deep is the movie?

In just a few spots, or placed threw out???

Need something, new (movie), to stretch the subs lower legs..
Lower the Hz and high the amplitude the better, well,, with in reason-->10-20Hz

I read that it is a decent movie with a good pic Q along with (nice use of surrounds & well recorded).. But they didn't go into just how deep or how often the bass was/is aside from mentioning it will give your sub a work out.

A possible new Ref Bass movie as mentioned by some getting it prior to release, or rather falling somewhere in the middle of the deep bass (sub<20Hz) movies already known and listed.???
Any thoughts about this movie from those with subsonic reaching, 20Hz and under capable sub/s..???

Very sorry to hear your Kenwood apparently finally said enough low end torture for me/poof..Posted Image

Do hope the new Velo 10" sub works out...!

Regards
Geoff ¥
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:38 AM

Geoff:

There are probably (help me out guys!) 20, 30 'bass hits' in the movie. Lots of explosions, lots of heavy stuff being dropped, falling, etc. From start to end. Don't know how deep, but worth your while no matter.

There is even a lot of really good material on the surround channels (not just ambient, but voices and such that work VERY well)

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 07:59 AM

Nice, hope that it lives up to some good and DEEP low end.

The use of the surrounds is just as you mentioned, (what I read), real material and not so much a rear/side back ground ambience thing like so many movies.

Going to go grab a few DVD's tomorrow, so guess I'll grab up that and Fight of the Pheonix also. The crash is supposed to be pretty intence.. Read something about the sound mixing of that movies plane crash & it's bass, was interesting what was said/wanted. Think it was in Ultimate AV Mag and is/was on the net.

Sorry not trying to derail Robs blown sub thread..

Tanks
Geoff ¥

#12 of 70 OFFLINE   AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:01 AM

I'm still sub(SVS)-less for another month or so, but I was very, very impressed with the sound quality of this film. Sounded amazing on my Maggies!
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:07 AM

Geoff:

For surround use, in one part (gives NOTHING away), Mr. Incredible yells he will answer the phone.

ALL from the surrounds, it was at home and the reverb, levels, etc. was JUST like if someone was in your house and yelled they were getting the phone.

Seriously, I thought someone was yelling in my house!!!

#14 of 70 OFFLINE   Alan M

Alan M

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 08:37 AM

I just saw flight of the pheonix.Yes,the crash episode is amazing on my maggies.Good low end stuff also,made my sub work hardPosted Image .

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 10:30 AM

Flight of the Phoenix:

Heres that review I ran across. The bass and why discussion I mentioned above, was during the Sandstorm according to the review. Not seeing the movie yet, I don't now if this is leading into the crash, part of the crash, after the crash, or possibly part of all three! Posted Image

I take it, that it is mentioned in the extras (on the DVD itself), about why they wanted to insert this it Bass into the sound track badly.

It's a short review and those that have the movie, may not know that a discussion about it is on "the DVD itself", somewhere.

Check it out ¥-HERE-¥ if you like.

Again I'm getting away from the orig topic ~{Incredibles Blew My Sub}~ thread, I do appoligize Rob...:b

Cheers
Geoff ¥

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 17 2005 - 10:58 AM

We had Incredibles on in the background (kids were watching it) last night at a family thing. In just the first hour, there were at least 10-15 heavy hitting moments of note. I wasn't paying attention to the scenes, but I did note a few times when all the air was excited in the room. Gonna throw it in this evening when I get home...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 11:09 AM

John:

Prepare to be impressed.

By the way, are you running a full 5.1(+?) set of GR Research? Or are you doing 2.1?
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#18 of 70 OFFLINE   Gralen

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 11:20 AM

cant wait to buy it this weekend. problem is velodyne has my sub for repair. just sent it today flight was good . just didnt have my sub.plane crash was awesome
mild audiophile

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   CobyH

CobyH

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 11:25 AM

I BLEW MY TEMPEST....WAAAAAAHHHH

Only about a third of the way in, something under 15 hz hit and hit hard, and it popped and now it no workie. So, I'm the second. This was last night. For what it's worth, I'll echo the previous comments..the bass was deep and tight and hard hitting and the surround effects were well utilized. This is my new reference movie for surround sound, no matter what other folks use. I'd be interested in an analysis of how deep they're going with the bass in this; if someone has that info, fess up.

I talked with Adire and they can't fix my Tempest, but when the new ones come out supposedly I can pick up one of those. Ah, well.....I should have put a subsonic filter on my system. It went under where I tuned my box and unloaded on me.

Coby

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted March 17 2005 - 05:25 PM

Coby, you too bud? Sorry!

Wow...

I am amazed my JBL held together, I was running it a bit hot, no distortion or issues.