What's new

Incredibles killed my sub (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
As I posted in the Flight of the Phoenix DVD thread, my dog attacked my sub during the crash sequence, something she has NEVER done before! Now I'm worried about The Incredibles and my sub since I buying the DVD this weekend...:D

Edward_M

Agent
So which one is better? Dayton TM II or the Velodyne VX10? The specs for the Dayton says it can go down to as low as 23hz. The Velodyne only goes down to 36 hz. Which to choose?

TimB

Agent
I have a velodyne dls 3750, just watched the incredibles the other night and was really impresseed on how the bass hit in that movie. No damage on my end :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A speaker that only gets to 36Hz shouldn't really be called a sub... More like bass module, ala Bose.

TimB

Agent
3750 goes down to 28. For 400 (if I recall), way better deal than a 2000 sub that goes down to 10 or 15.

I laugh at the comparison to Bose.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
How does it go "way better" when your sub can only reach to 28hz? Are you aiming high?:D

Al,

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
My SW900 made it through with no problems. That movie kicks some major butt. Loud bass. Good stuff all around. Just some good room filling bass. I could not really let it go because I was was not the only person in the house. I may juice it if I get the chance. :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Had a group of 6 family/friends over tonight and we All Loved the 360-degree seamless DD-EX surround & glorious sub-sonic, floor, couch, chairs, Pant-Leg(s) Moving LFE!!!

I Monitored 108 dBc (FAST LFE SPL Peaks @ my 'sweet spot') on my SVS 25-31PCi @ -8 dB below REF Level!!!

"The Incredibles" was a HIT!!!

Phil

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I continuously kept turning down the sub level on The Incredibles. I kept getting the clank .... I hate that!

Luckily the sub seems OK.

I just wish I weren't living on a concrete floor, I might get a little more excited by low bass.

Brent

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Since it was late I had the dialog pegged at about 65Db which gave me peaks of at least 105Db. I could have pushed it more, but it was comfortable at that level.

TimB

Agent
What, the sub isn't "good enough" cause it isn't hsu or svs? Good god people, you're starting to sound like the Bose supporters!

Sure, the room may "shake" more, but in my environment, all that will do will piss off my neighbor on the shared wall(and vibrate the room more which will create rattling sounds from stuff on wall, which of course will interfere with the movie). Sounds and feels pretty good for my intro setup to me, and sure, probably the next sub I upgrade to when the funds are available may go lower, but what's the point if it goes down to 15 or 18 hz if the things gonna melt anyways. Seems that's been happening a lot lately with those 15 hz subs (incredibles and AvP).

Anyways, this thread went off of Incredibles into sub vs sub. Stay focused on the fact that mine did fine and survived for another day.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

REALLY?...If you ever find yourself in a different situation with the ((required headroom))... I wouldn't be surprised to see your opinion change minus the SVS-HSU negative? You very well could wind up with a different make of sub, but I think you'll be quite impressed to hear/feel the difference a good quality sub can and will make, whatever brand you go with.

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator
TimB, I'm in a similar living situation myself. So next week I plan to order a velodyne VX10 "bass module". I suspect it will fill my needs. I was initially considering a velo that was 2.5x the price of the VX10 but figured the extra $$ wasn't worth a few extra vibrations. Besides I don't get excited about my pant legs flapping, pictures and windows rattling and feeling a thump in my chest. I would actually find that distracting.

TimB

Agent
I hear ya Don,

Don't get me wrong, I've heard a lot of positives on HSU and SVS, and perhaps I will check them out when I upgrade. But "bass module", give me a break. Velodyne is well regarded in many theater forums.

However, there is a difference, now we're talking audible range stuff. 36 Hz is decent, though for a little bit more take a look at the energy s8.3, it's probably a little more expensive then the vx10 (probably 70 - 80) but goes down to 27. It's only an 8inch, but depending on the size of your room it should be adequate.

Steve and Keith,

I am well aware there are things below the 20 hz barrier, the difference is that the room is not a dedicated theater room, when I can isolate one and put one together, then perhaps I will look at it. But, it is not necessary. You feel 20, hell, you feel 28. But as we've seen in this post, and a few others, those sub 20 hz's may not be controlled as well as the 20-20k range is, hence some of those sub 20hz woofers are getting destroyed. You think the sound engineers are concerning themselves with below 20Hz as much as above? This is obviously apparent because a few people are blowing their reference level subs with a dvd. I don't want to have to worry about dropping in a DVD and wonder "Will I have to go buy a new subwoofer after this?"

This is not meant to be a knock at SVS or HSU, both companies make great products (on paper, I have yet to hear them, but will) and are highly regarded. However, the attitude of "if it doesn't go below 20, it's a bass module" is insane.

As for other info, I am running a 7.1 system with energy connoisseurs, all speaks at small and crossover at 60, bass out of both. Nice and tight, clear, accurate. Pretty impressive to me.

CobyH

Auditioning
WARNING: RANT MODE ON

(chuckles) I'm the one that blew his Tempest with the Incredibles. I'm chuckling because so many people are popping up saying "Well, MY sub made it through ok, so it must be better". For most folks, your receiver will have a subsonic filter or your powered amp will have a subsonic filter that will help protect it against frequencies that it wasn't designed to handle well. And most commercial subs aren't tuned particularly low, which is fine for most folks. Mine was a bit of an experiment; I tuned it very low, gave up some power handling, and didn't run a subsonic filter. It's been fine till this point, and I'm overpowering it...so it was entirely my fault. I've heard folks say you don't really benefit from hearing below 20hz, but it's really quite a rush when the floor, the walls, the chair, the couch, even the china in the curio in the kitchen 60 feet away all start rumbling and shaking when a jet flies over the 8 foot wide screen during a movie.
I've talked to Adire; they'll send out one of the new Tempests with a bit more power handling and Xmax and I'll probably reduce the size of my sonotube enclosure and put on a subsonic filter. And I WILL run the Incredibles through it again, at a floor shaking volume, and I'll enjoy every minute of it.
Ya'll quit that "My shishta is better than your shishta" stuff....half of ya don't even seem to understand what yer talkin' about and the other half have heard it all before. Choosin' your sound equipment is about considering a great number of criteria, some of which are subjective...so, really, there is no one 'best' sub out there. Enjoy what ya got, get something that fits your wants better if ya feel the need, and keep up the good work with this funfilled and informative (as well as occasionally entertaining) forum.

RANT MODE OFF

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

Thats great Tim. I just thought I would put my hand in the cage/pull the cats tail per-say and see what happened:D

If you experience the low FR bass with the proper headroom and say it's of no benefit, then thats (your) honest opinion based on your experience in (both) arenas. I then would think you qualified to have such a strong personal opinion based on experience.

I'll spare you any further thoughts except to say that my prior statement was in no way intended to slam your sub or you personally.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I have an Adire Audio Tumult in a 178 liter enclosure tuned to 19.5 hertz with a 1,000 watt plate amp powering it. The Incredibles caused my amp to clip. Monsters Inc. is the only other movie to make my amp clip. I was watching The Incredibles at 5db below reference levels.

I was watching my sub when I replayed the offending scene and I wasn't reaching anywhere near full excursion, so I know it was the amp. Must. Get. Bigger. Plate. Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks