-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector Brightness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Jackson L

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted January 26 2005 - 06:37 PM

After reading many threads in these forums about how the rated brightness of a projector doesn't mean much in the real world I would like to know how to tell if a projector is bright enough to use in a room with quite a bit of ambient light. In one of my classes there is a Mitsubishi LCD projector (model unknown) that displays a very bright and clear picture even when the lights are on. There is even a light directly over the screen and the picture is still very bright and detailed. That's what I would want. I think that Mitsubishi is only 800x600 though and I would want 1280x1024. I have been looking at the Panasonic PT-AE700U. I doubt that would have comparable brightness. Would it?
IF everything seems all right then you've obviously overlooked something.

#2 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 26 2005 - 07:38 PM

Jackson, why would you want to watch a projector with all kinds of lights on? What is your intended use? Go to Projectorcentral.com and use the "search" function.

#3 of 7 Jackson L

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 02:09 AM

I wouldn't watch it with all kinds of lights on. My living rooms is rather bright in the daylight though and while I don't watch very much TV in the daylight I would like a projector that can cope with a bit of extra light.

#4 of 7 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 06:48 AM

This results in a mixed blessing situation.

A higher brightness projector may be able to be 'toned down' for better contrast in the evening, but you'd end up having to monkey with your levels all the time.

Second, you will pay dearly for the additional brightness.

In mildly bright areas, we're using 3k lumen projectors, and they're okay. 5k is better. But hidiously expensive.

Leo

#5 of 7 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 07:28 AM

That projector that is used in your class is most likely a high brightness low contrast ratio projector that produces greys rather than deep blacks. Further ambient light would further lighten the blacks. What you need is a way that you can "control" the ambient light in the room so that you can watch a football game during the day with some ambient light but also reduce the ambient light drastically during the day when you want to watch a movie.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#6 of 7 Jackson L

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 09:42 AM

Controlling ambient light is the difficult part. See THIS picture of the room. The screen would go where the TV is now. The blinds on those large windows block out some but not all light.

#7 of 7 Paul-D

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 09:48 AM

Check out this link for some nice black out shades. Not too expensive either. It should do the trick.
Good luck