Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Movies with Bad Music Scores

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#21 of 100 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,028 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:34 AM

Now Voyager is a good Steiner score. Has anybody noticed the similarities between this score and the one for The Letter ? Their main themes are like good twin/evil twin.

Such similarities can be said about every film composer who has a long resume of scored films.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#22 of 100 OFFLINE   Ray Faiola

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts
  • LocationEllenville, NY

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
(Haggai wrote) I recently got the Stromberg/Marco Polo rendition of Korngold's Adventures of Robin Hood score; that CD is quite ridiculously good.

'tis indeed. Now turn that light back where it belongs, Haggai!

Classic Film Scores on CD

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

#23 of 100 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:43 AM

Oh, I like most of Max Steiner fine.

And by the way, I think the score to Dr. Zhivago is perfectly respectable, as composition. But why so much repetition? It's like he ran out of ideas, so he just recycled them, over and over.

It isn't like theme and variations. It's just the same cues, played over and over. It's a level of banality that Andrew Lloyd Webber would appreciate.

Posted Image

#24 of 100 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
And by the way, I think the score to Dr. Zhivago is perfectly respectable, as composition. But why so much repetition? It's like he ran out of ideas, so he just recycled them, over and over.
In that case, I believe the producer is at fault. He loved Jarre's theme so much that he just kept using it in place of other underscore that Jarre wrote for those scenes.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#25 of 100 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:11 AM

Star Trek Generations!

Dennis McCarthy could't write his way out of a wet paper bag (IMO).......:-) IMB, the score (or lack thereof) is what keeps it below Star Trek 5 (whose wonderful score by the late Jerry Goldsmith largely helps that film) in my book.
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#26 of 100 OFFLINE   Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 06:32 AM

Surprised no one's mentioned this one yet, but "Ladyhawke" was the first thing that popped into my mind.

"The Road Warrior" is another bad one - too bombastic and shamelessly rips-off Holst's "The Planets".

Most of the non-Barry Bonds are pretty bad, especially the pseudo-disco scores for "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "For Your Eyes Only".
Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...

#27 of 100 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 07:35 AM

JonathonSan,

No need to duck, the score of this film was intended to be just that. The score is supposed to go with the whole consumerism "satire" theme of the movie. I was delighted when GAR used a small clip of the score from "Dawn" in "Day."Posted Image

#28 of 100 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 07:37 AM

There are plenty of movies like Ladyhawke with bad scores, but I don't think these are worth... fixing.

I was going more for classic, good films with scores that could be replaced.

Here's another one I think deserves a change:

Witness

P.S. I'm not a John Barry fan, overall. The Bond scores are fine, but when he steps into orchestral territory, it just becomes unbearably slow. Here's another movie that (IMO) might be improved with different music:

Out of Africa

#29 of 100 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 08:11 AM

26 posts before the abominable Ladyhawke score is mentioned? If any movies BEGS for a rescore, it's this one.

Horner certainly does rip off his own stuff, but the score for STII:WoK is a classic. Simply a fantastic score that works incredibly well with the film.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#30 of 100 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:15 AM

Quote:
26 posts before the abominable Ladyhawke score is mentioned? If any movies BEGS for a rescore, it's this one.
I'm also surprised it took this long to get a mention. A good film totally undermined by its music. A competent orchestral rescoring would work wonders for its posterity.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#31 of 100 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:34 AM

This film probably doesn't fit, but anyone ever hear the "score" for MESA OF LOST WOMEN? The movie stinks too -- but the music is the worst.

#32 of 100 OFFLINE   Joel Stein

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:35 AM

NEIGHBORS

#33 of 100 OFFLINE   DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:37 AM

Pearl Harbor.

Though, I doubt a better score would help it any.

#34 of 100 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 09:37 AM

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and GOLDENEYE are three decent Bond films that were hurt by their mediocre scores. The Bill Conti score for EYES in particular is so bad that I can barely stand to watch the movie.

#35 of 100 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 19 2005 - 11:07 AM

I don't like Mark Knopfler's score for The Princess Bride. The acoustic guitar bits are great, though. It's a pity that it couldn't have been entirely guitar or at least orchestral. The synthesized music is extremely cheesy.

#36 of 100 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 19 2005 - 11:37 AM

Wow! An exact remake of a thread we had here just a few weeks ago, same posters too prob, next someone will chime in with how awful the music to Never Say Never Again was and... oh that would be me.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#37 of 100 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 11:51 AM

Ginger Snaps 2

Although Dawn of the Dead's score is cheesy, I couldn't imagine the film without it.

#38 of 100 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:28 PM

I was part of that other thread, but now something's changed: somebody's actually replacing a score to a movie.

#39 of 100 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 04:28 PM

No-one has mentioned Troy yet?
And they've already got a great score to replace it with.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#40 of 100 OFFLINE   Ray Faiola

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts
  • LocationEllenville, NY

Posted January 20 2005 - 12:23 AM

I recently saw a dreadful movie with an even worse score - KRAKATOA-EAST OF JAVA. Even in 35mm IB this picture was a stinkeroo. But the music?!?! It was by Happy Kyne himself, Frank DeVol. Too many instances to site. Just take my word for it - WILDLY inappropriate.

PS - about a month after I saw the film at a private screening the STARZ action channel ran it. Problem is they showed it on the Monday after the Tsunami hit!!

Classic Film Scores on CD

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Forum Nav Content I Follow