-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica - SciFi US broadcast thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
685 replies to this topic

#21 of 686 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:55 AM

So is this going to be rebroadcast anytime soon? I shall like to give it a try, sounds like fun.

--
H

#22 of 686 Lars_J

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 08:58 AM

The two first epsides repbroadcast? "33" was repeated late last night, so you missed it.

Episode #2, "Water", repeats late tonight (or early tomorrow morning) - Check out SciFi ScheduleBot and search for "Battlestar".
- Lars

#23 of 686 PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:43 PM

I'm coming in a bit late on this... have only just tonight watched the NBC re-broadcast of the mini (which I gather cut out some material), and missed the first 30 minutes of even that. But I really liked it, somewhat to my surprise. Olmos is obviously a great casting choice, and I thought Mary McDonnell did a great job too. I was a teen when the original BSG was broadcast and enjoyed it but have never been a huge fan... and would NOT be interested in a straight remake. I like the female Starbuck; in fact I liked the actor and character better than Apollo, who seemed just a little... effete. (I would offer the B5 2nd season fighter pilot character, Warren Keffer, as a better portrayal.) Liked the darker tone, the effects, and leaders making tough decisions that come with heavy costs but are the correct calls. No pulling magic bunnies out of hats to suddenly save the day; the Cylons are coming and if they don't run NOW it's over. Tense stuff. There were a couple of moments that actually hit me hard emotionally.

I also liked the effects and "look" and immediately was reminded of Firefly (which I've watched 3 times thru, sniff sniff curse you Fox), so it's interesting to see confirmation here that the FX house is the same. One thing I really liked seeing was the huge barrage of firepower coming from the Galactica, a hailstorm of rounds. They sounded/looked like projectile rounds too, not energy, so it will be even more important to find a way to replenish ammo.

So I'm really looking forward to seeing the first 2 hours of regular eps, based on comments here. Nice to have a couple of hours a week of SF to look forward to again, with Enterprise being pretty solid this season.

#24 of 686 PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:47 PM

One more thing... the NBC broadcast was in HD, and boy was that nice to watch. Wish we could get the regular series in HD. I suppose it'd be just wishful thinking for there to be repeats on NBC in HD... I'm assuming that's probably just a one time thing for now.

#25 of 686 Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 11:47 PM

If you don't want spoilers, don't watch the Cast Interview show of Battlestar that is rotating on Sci-Fi right now. It is good stuff for those that don't mind seeing a bit of footage from future episodes, though. Some of the cast interaction is quite fun. Jamie Bamber ("Apollo") not doing his accent (he is English, after all) and complaining that words like "Bugger" don't sound as well with flat N. American accent is fun. I will say, though, it really does show that a lot changes with some of the areas that people are worried about. The "head cylon" that is bugging Gaius is changed significantly it seems (won't say how, of course). Obviously Boomer's cylon forms go through some significant changes. Lots of cool clips with some mano y mano Robot Cylon vs. humans (they look good interacting with people, too...not bad for basic cable television). Sounds like the cancer sub-plot becomes a huge deal, too. Great looking interactions between various characters, too...not a lot of clips of this but enough to know they aren't forgetting this is character driven drama. Looks very promising.

As for the hand-held cliche stuff...now I understand what you were talking about. I was strictly thinking of it regarding the space SFX but you were noting it for the entire program. I would disagree that it is silly in space, but as noted, different strokes and all. As for it being used for the live stuff, I wouldn't call it cliche but more of an established style. If you don't do handheld, what do you do? Dolly and crane shots which would I assume be even more cliche since that is a more established technique. I like handheld when it isn't obnoxious, which I think it was in the Greengrass version of Bourne Supremacy (nearly unwatchable to me). In this show, it lends immediacy and intimacy to each scene that a locked camera style wouldn't caputre, in my opinion.

What would be nice is some freedom to change these techniques from show to show. Let each episode dictate the best style to use. I don't think that is how it will be done, though. Still, good looking stuff.

fil

#26 of 686 Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 12:20 PM

Alright, time for my complaint about "33".

Spoilers coming...

Maybe I wasn't paying attention during the episode, but when they determined that the Olympic Carrier was armed with nukes, and Lee looked and said, "I don't see anyone on board", why was he so dejected about blowing it up?

The people were already dead. If they weren't dead, the nukes would have killed everyone. Why was the president so bummed? Why did Lee feel guilt?

Maybe I'm insensitive, but he didn't kill anyone the Cylons didn't already doom. What was the big deal?

Second comment: Did I miss how or why Baltar keeps seeing Six? Does he have an implant? Is he crazy? If she can communicate with him, why can't the cylons figure out where the fleet is?
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#27 of 686 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
The people were already dead. If they weren't dead, the nukes would have killed everyone. Why was the president so bummed? Why did Lee feel guilt?
He didn't know they were dead; they may have been being kept away from windows or communications equipment for use as hostages in some contingency plan (I presume the nukes would have disguised their head signature). And even if he knows, intellectually, that anyone on board was doomed anyway, that doesn't stop him from feeling like crap for being the one to kill them or like he should have ocme up with some alternate solution.

Quote:
Did I miss how or why Baltar keeps seeing Six? Does he have an implant? Is he crazy? If she can communicate with him, why can't the cylons figure out where the fleet is?
She claims she's an implant, but Baltar acknowledges that he may just be that delusional. And even if she is an implant, it's unlikely there's room in Baltar's skull for a transmitter and energy source powerful enough to broadcast across interstellar distances.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#28 of 686 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,076 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 20 2005 - 05:33 PM

That's one area that was left unclear to me; I think it would have been much more effective to show bodies float out of the exploded ship to show that there WERE passengers on board and thus giving reason to their feelings of guilt and remorse.

#29 of 686 Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:43 PM

I think the not knowing is just as bad, if not worse. That's supposed to be the conflict. If he knew for sure that it was filled with Cylon clones he would feel great (which would look like humans if they were floating in space, so that wouldn't help). If he knew it was empty he would feel great. If he wasn't sure what happened, he would feel conflicted and guilty. Ergo drama.

Jason, I don't think distance between cylons for signals is an issue, at least not yet. 6 pointed out that her personality and memories move on to another 6 somewhere else upon death. Didn't seem to be a big issue as to distance. That said, I really do think that the 6 in the head is his own creation, not external. That would be more interesting to me, anyway. We will have to wait and see. Tonight's looks really cool. Previews make it look like they get their hands on a Cylon spaceship thingy. That's always cool.

fil

#30 of 686 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
Jason, I don't think distance between cylons for signals is an issue, at least not yet. 6 pointed out that her personality and memories move on to another 6 somewhere else upon death. Didn't seem to be a big issue as to distance.
Well, until we're shown otherwise, I'm assuming that at least as far as communication is concerned, 186,000 miles per second isn't just a good idea, it's the law. Posted Image Presumably, the Cylons have thus far been close enough together that the distance between them was negligible; also, there's more room inside even a Six or Boomer type Cylon for the necessary equipment than there is inside Gaius's head.

Or they just don't mind waiting.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#31 of 686 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:34 AM

Greetings

The commentary from Ron Moore and the other production guys on the mini sheds more light on the real or not real issue. 6 is never seen alone ... and she never offers information that baltar probably wouldn't have somehow come up with anyway ...

I looked at the fly by of the olympic carrier again and it did look like one window might have had a shadow of a person there ... but then again ... he was asked to do something that the fighter pilots during 9/11 were told to do if it came to that ...

Same nightmares ... regardless that it served the overall good ... because he pulled the trigger and killed people that did not ask to be in that position.

I did find the conversations with the President odd later on. They talked as if the action was wrong ... and that they made a mistake ...

It might have been, but all the information that they had at that moment pointed to it being the right thing to do ... no matter how gut wrenching it was.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#32 of 686 Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:44 AM

Re: 6 in Baltar's head. IIRC in the mini, 6 told Baltar about transferring to a new body if she is killed. However, when the Galctica was at the supply depot, they pointed out that if a signal can't get through, then when the cylon dies, it's gone for good.

I don't remember if there was something else that led me to this conclusion, but I got the feeling that the interference from the nukes going off on Caprica prevented that particular 6 from transferring. I then conluded that she somehow "imprinted" (or implanted if you want) herself on Baltar. OF course, the idea that she is his own mental creation is pretty interesting as well.

RG

#33 of 686 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:06 AM

I watched them and mostly enjoyed them but there were several hugely bad plot points.

In "33": They went for 274 jumps straight (6+ days) without sleep! I don't think so. Don't they have more than one shift? Also how do the Cylons find the BSG? They seemed to make it clear they cannot be tracked in hyperspace, otherwise in the mini-series they would have told the sub-light ships where they were headed. They can jump in any direction in both azimuth and altitude. The fact the cylons find them each time indicates there must be cylons on board.

In "Water": Having advanced technology sure doesn't make you good at math. "The Galactica recycles effectively 100% of its water so we are good for years but the rest of the fleet will slowly drain our supply." -> "Sir, we lost 60% of our water so we are down to six days left on BSG and the fleet down to 2!!!" WTF????. 40% times 2 years is 9+ months. Also the BSG can recycle 100% of their water so why do they have to stop taking showers or washing their hands to conserve water. Do the writers even read what they write?

I hope the writing that make you go "hmmm..." goes away.

Chuck Anstey

#34 of 686 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Also the BSG can recycle 100% of their water so why do they have to stop taking showers or washing their hands to conserve water.
Well, even if you can recycle it all, you've still got less water to spread around.

#35 of 686 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted January 21 2005 - 06:41 AM

Greetings

They already know there are Cylon Agents aboard ... just don't know which ships ...

Then there are the sleepers who may not be actively doing anything ...

The Olympic Carrier likely had an active agent on board but the ship encountered problems with the FTL drive messing up the plan ... (Colonial 1 has similar problems earlier on.)

But as the note at the beginning of the show says ... They have a plan ...

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#36 of 686 Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

• 473 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:08 AM

Don't they have more than one shift?

Normally, yes. But when you've just taken on the responsibility of shepherding a bunch of civilian ships AND the enemy is ceaselessly harassing you (with only 33 minutes for refits and relaunch), AND you have just taken severe losses during your first narrow escape with no time to re-allocate staff, I can easily see them having everyone on duty.
Also how do the Cylons find the BSG? They seemed to make it clear they cannot be tracked in hyperspace,

Didn't you wonder why it took 33 minutes every time for the Cylons to appear again? The "spy" ship had to communicate the location to the posse, then the cylons had to plot and jump their own ships.

The fact the cylons find them each time indicates there must be cylons on board.

That's kind of a given.

With regard to "Water", you have to consider this: with their "normal" reservoir of water, they are "nearly" 100% effecient at recycling, which is why it would last them years and not forever.

Losing 60% of their reservoir cuts the amount of time down to days because they no longer have the "buffer" between usage and recycling. They are now forced to use the water faster than they can recycle it.

It makes perfect sense, and I'm sure that's the way the writers looked at it. I thought it was all well handled.

RG

#37 of 686 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,873 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:19 AM

Let me start off by saying I enjoy the new BG show. But, if you can change certain things on the show. What would you do? Here is my changes:

-They are making it too much like they are from Earth. From the names to the clothing.

-I miss the old bridge. While the CIC is more like what you would find on a modern ship. I loved the bridge of the original. It was big and what you would expect of a big battleship/carrier.

-Less with the Baltair/Cylon mind chats. While I think it is important to the story. It is just way to much.

-Bring back the original theme. The music was great and worked well. I think it would work better than the nothing they use now.

-Less shaky camera work.

-And as someone suggested on another board..."Less sexy robots and more shiny robots"

What about you?? Anything else?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#38 of 686 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Don't they have more than one shift?

Have you ever tried sleeping through a jump? Posted Image

#39 of 686 Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle

Second Unit

• 278 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the Pacific

Posted January 21 2005 - 07:37 PM

Hoped to find something of an old Trek fix, since Enterprise doesn't do it for me & with Ron Moore involved, had some hope. Maybe not fair to expect this of a program that never had a seek-out-and-find-new theme anyway. But I found tonight's episode especially dull, each character so uniformly serious, with the same lower-register falling-tone cadence of voice, so serious and somber. And the current TV cliche of a world managed by impossibly qualified & attractive 20-something-year-olds put me off as well (although, it is a battlestar, so maybe military themes justify the excessive youthfulness, somewhat). After 15 minutes, it occurred to me there was nothing sci-fi about the dialog. Sounded like a standard cop or military TV drama set in any current-day, terrestrial urban setting. To amuse myself, I turned off the image and listened to it as a radio show. Couldn't tell it was happening in space, in the future, in any place less familiar than the local big city. Won't add this show to my list.

#40 of 686 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,873 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 02:53 AM

Quote:
After 15 minutes, it occurred to me there was nothing sci-fi about the dialog. Sounded like a standard cop or military TV drama set in any current-day, terrestrial urban setting. To amuse myself, I turned off the image and listened to it as a radio show. Couldn't tell it was happening in space, in the future, in any place less familiar than the local big city. Won't add this show to my list.

This is my biggest problem with the show. Their is too many earth names, themes, items. For example lemons, rats, clothing. All they do is throw in some "alien" words like "Frak". They should have just made this Earth in the future.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow