Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Are there any reviews of the WARNER GANGSTER collection yet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted January 15 2005 - 02:56 PM

Although 2005 has just arrived, I can safely say that the upcoming Warner Gangsters boxed set will be one of the highlight releases of the year.... Since street date is only about 10 days away, does anyone know of any reviews yet?

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,765 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 15 2005 - 05:24 PM

Warner along with some other studios have been giving out their screeners late to the reviewers. That's probably why Herb Kane hasn't posted any reviews here because I know these dvds are some of his most anticipated releases for the year. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted January 15 2005 - 07:36 PM

Understandable, given the holiday break, when most companies virtually shut down for two weeks, and then desperately try to catch up. We didn't see early reviews on the WB DECISION title winners, but the DVDs were in store on street date and there was plenty of publcity. That's what really matters... Nonetheless, I eagerly await comments on these releases from the honorable Mr. Kane and Mr. Harris. I expect them to be in line with most Warner classic titles....gorgeous presentations to treasure.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted January 15 2005 - 08:14 PM

Roger, Robert is correct. WB (as well as many of the other studios) have been sending out screeners closer to street dates, presumably due to pirating issues. In fact, you've probably already noticed the new blue pirating warning that appears at the start of the new WB titles...? Obviously this makes completing reviews (particularly larger packages) prior to street dates more difficult. There will be most definitely be a HTF review. Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 01:44 AM

I can understand why they don't want to give out too many copies ahead of time, particularly on the big releases. But do they really think that reputable reviewers (like HTF) are making extra money by pirating DVDs? Frankly, I'm not sure that the black market value of the Warner Gangster Collection would be all that great anyhow. They would probably benefit more from the added publicity.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,765 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2005 - 01:50 AM

It has nothing to do with HTF, at this time, the studios don't have the time nor inclination to pick and choose among the review sites, thus all of them are being effected by this policy change. Whether their fears are justified is a question only those closed enough to the situation can answer correctly. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 05:22 AM

I am buying these regardless of any reviews
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 05:29 AM

I preordered without hesitation, just based on Warner's good track record with classic film DVD releases and the goodwill that has resulted in. Other studios should take note of that phenomenon. Give us a quality presentation and package and it will increase sales across the board.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 05:38 AM

I second Glenn's post. The upcoming Warners Classic Comedies and Musicals collections are also getting pre-orders from me.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,443 posts

Posted January 16 2005 - 06:09 AM

I saw a commercial on TCM advertising this set complete with clips (presumably from the DVDs). Some of the clips had some minor print damage, but the underlying image was very clear and sharp. Nobody will be disappointed if these were indeed from the DVDs. Given the age of these films and the relatively poor quality of prior releases, I'm not going to expect pristine prints. However I have no doubt that these DVDs will present these films looking the best they have since they were first released. I've pre-ordered this and the Classic Comedies sets. At less than $8 per title, I can't afford NOT to. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,443 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 02:22 PM

Watching White Heat will be tough after learning of the death of star Virginia Mayo today. It's a shame she passed away just before the release of a DVD which would have brought her back into the limelight so to speak. Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 03:30 PM

I have been waiting for these movies to be released for years. I will be in line at my local Best Buy first thing in the morning to pick this baby up. I hope I won't be dissipointed, and given the box sets from Warner I have recently purchsed (Hitchcock Signiture Collection & Clasic Film Noir Collection) I dont think I will be. I just can't wait!
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 08:09 PM

Steve O:

A reviewer friend has the boxed set (I'm very jealous) and he says the transfers are a revelation. They all look like they're right from the original negatives, according to my friend. He says the packaging, the extras, and the whole assembly will likely make this one of 2005's top releases, even after everyone's short memories fade in December!

The TCM spot was likely cut from the masters TCM uses (which are 10-15 years old) and not from the WB DVD masters.
I've noticed TCM is gradually starting to upgrade their library, but it is a slow process.

Anyway, Here's to a week from today, and the release of these titles, and more impressively, the boxed set. I can't wait!Posted Image

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,443 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 04:41 AM

Roger, Thank you very much for the information and for the clarification on what TCM was using. These will indeed make for very enjoyable watching. Steve

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 14 2008 - 09:36 AM

Regarding the upcoming release of WB Gangster Collection V4, including: The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse Invisible Stripes Kid Galahad Larceny, Inc. The Little Giant Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film Will these titles be available individually? What is the history with the earlier WB sets? Were those titles available as individual items?

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   GeorgeJA

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 12:22 PM

Jeff, I believe the original press release stated that KID GALAHAD was going to be the only title in Volume 4 to be sold separately. Of course, that can always change, and also, WB has been known to release stand-alone titles from their box sets afterwards. For example, their Marx Brothers and Thin Man collections had exclusive titles that were later sold separately. George

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted August 15 2008 - 03:38 AM

George, Thanks for the info. I'll have to decide on this one, to get the box set or wait for the one that's been on my "grail" list for a long time..."Invisible Stripes". I'm not familiar with the other films in the set.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 08:31 AM

Does anybody know whether the new collection (Volume 4) is being carried at Costco?

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,033 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 21 2008 - 09:11 AM

I didn't know this was an old thread, so the first post kind of made me panic for a second:

Posted Image Noooooooo!

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 11:30 AM

I saw volume 4 at CostCo about the time it was released but it didn't last on the shelves for very long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users