What's new

Ps-1000 + Bfd (1 Viewer)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
If anyone has ever eq'd a PS-1000 with a BFD before, please post your experiences?

thanks
Feisal

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have. The BFD was much needed with the PS-1000. I was able to even out the response and get rid of some of the boomyness.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
You should get interesting results from the BFD. I used to have the same PS-1000 but I felt is was boomy on its own..... but try to sock the sub. Sometimes helps to curb the boom.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
'Boomy' is a common comment on AudioReview about the PS1K ~ I bet none of them were EQ'd.

Ming, thanks for reminding, I'll try the sock - Would any of the ports be ok, or a specific one/two? I saw this mentioned on xtremeplace and should have tried it first

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
When I used to have my PS-1000, I found that blocking 1 port appealed to my ears. It may not be necessarily better, it appealed to me.

You could try blocking 2 ports too, but not all 3 ports for obvious reasons.

But the PS-1000, being a bandpass subwoofer design could be naturally boomy. I've not measured it, but thats just my assumption.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Blocked 1 port. Sounds tighter, if that could be a description. 2 ports reduced the volume too much. Mind you this is all playing by ear, literally.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
less boomy i guess.. hard to say. it could be psychological.. my ears hearing what I am expecting to hear because I've plugged the port. I'll run it for a few days still, until the BFD arrives.

I'm just testing with music tho, and most of the time it's ok except on certain recordings which produce the boomy sound. after plugging the boom is somewhat less.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
More resolution, better able to render detail.

To see what I mean, pick up Basia’s CD The Sweetest Illusion. The track “Drunk on Love” features a bass line with a very prominent “growl” or texture. Since there is a lot of mid-bass energy in the recording, it will come through on both the subs and mains. Turn off the mains and listen to it. If the sub is tight, the texture is very distinct and defined, just like it was in the mains. If not, it kind of “runs” together.

Another toughie is the opening track on Basia’s London, Warsaw, New York CD. The bass line has a very subtle texture. You’ll hear it if the sub is tight and well defined. If not, you won’t hear it at all.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Wayne, thanks for the definition :) I think i meant less boomy and can't tell if it's really tighter :b .. yet

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, thats what I mean....... Tight to different people take on different meanings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks