What's new

I, Robot a must rent at least (1 Viewer)

Dave_H

Grip
I rented this today (US r-1) just to check it out. Didn't even get to see the box. I was pleased to see it included a DTS track.

I can't stand Will Smith, but this movie isn't too bad actually. It's possible I liked the movie because I went into it with extremely low expectations.

Guys you have to check this DVD out, the video is pretty good and the DTS track is certainly bangin'. It's one of those DVD's where no matter how bad the movie might be, it's still fun to test out on your HT.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Sorry, but I don't consider a movie described as "isn't too bad" to be a must-rent. I have plenty of reference material on hand to test out my system without having to sit through a mediocre CGI-fest.

It's disappointing, because I'm a big Alex Proyas fan.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It is disappointing because I am a big Asimov fan. I still wait for that I, Robot movie to be made.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At the HTF Meet in September, Fox showed us this dvd and most of the group enjoyed the film.

Crawdaddy

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
If you're an Isaac Asimov fan, this movie is a "must miss." Surely, he must be turning over in his grave.

SMK

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, a "must miss". It is such an insult to his books. They could have just made it without reference to the Asimov Robot books instead of co-opting the name and not bothering to be true to the concept.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Put Asimov aside for a moment - it's a must-miss because it's bad. Bad bad. I went in with low expectations and it didn't even meet those.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't think it was that bad at all, for what it was. I mean, it's no classic, but it's certainly worth a rental.

As with the SF Channel's remake of Battlestar Galactica, I think they turned off a lot of people by slapping a famous title on material that had very little to do with the original source. Change the title, and nobody would really have a problem with it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I didn't read the books or care the least bit about how faithful the movie was to them so I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
As long as it provides a little eye and ear candy, I can do with a bad movie every once in awhile, besides I gotta hear Smith's "Oh HELL no!" I may be mistaken, but I don't think that line was in the book.:D

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely rent. Did you see the 2-disc SEs in Europe and Japan? There's a doosy of a double dip on the horizon. And if there isn't, we should be mad.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

And once AGAIN, the US gets screwed out of SEs of movies made HERE in the first place! Like that cool Alien head thing for the Japanese release of the Alien set, the Box for the Hellraiser movies, and more than I can remember. Hell, I even want the 3-D version of the shitty Amityville 3-D that's available overseas.:angry:

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: Yeah...a popcorn movie about robots turning on their creators...harmless 90 minutes of fun.

Under an Asimov name... since Asimov detested with a passion the 'science turns on the creator and destroys them' schtick (kind of like how Tolkien detested allegory)....:thumbsdown:

Here's to hoping the other Asimov movies in the work turn out better. Where's the Caves of Steel already??

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I saw this on the weekend (R4). I rented it and thought it was good.

I will be adding it to my collection for sure. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The book is actually a collection of short stories, IIRC. But Asimov also wrote a number of novels that take place in the same milieu.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It's been awhile since I've read any of those stories...

... but I still liked the movie. Pure popcorn flick. I picked it up today... hopefully I'll actually have time to watch it soon.

-Scott

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

Even if there is, we should be mad. It is very manipulative to try to get people to double dip by releasing a berebones edition without announcing the better edition they know is coming.

This would have been a buy for me, but I'll wait until Fox decides to give the US a 2-disc special edition as well. Get more money from me by making better movies and better DVDs, not by trying to manipulate me to buy the same movie twice. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks