-

Photo
- - - - -

I have appx 15 1/2 feet for depth for my new room.. how wide?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Mike D.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 04:02 AM

Hello all!

I (somewhat unfortunately I suppose) only have 15 1/2 feet of depth for a HT-only room I'm about to build in my basement. I can pretty much make it any width up to 15 feet. Basically, I have a square to work with, but I know that a square isn't the best shape. I'm thinking about making it 12 1/2 feet wide. Does that sound about right? Height will be appx 7 1/2 feet, except where duct work runs down the middle at appx. 6'8.

I'll be posting my "before" pictures as soon as they are developed (no, no digital camera just yet!!), and then documenting my progress as so many of you have!

#2 of 4 Ian_J

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 07:17 AM

12 to 12.5 feet is good. My room is 12x16.5. Current seating is a luxurious futon (ha ha) but I have room for 5 berkline 088s (two on a riser). Oh yeah, if you fill a room this size with the right equipment & treatments it will sound just as good, if not better, than a larger room with high ceilings.

Good luck.

#3 of 4 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 12 2004 - 09:12 AM

There is an Excel spreadsheet that you can download from Ultimate AV Magazine (formerly Stereophile Guide to Home Theater) to optimize your room size for better accoustics.

http://www.ultimatea...0388/index.html

#4 of 4 Mike D.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 01:19 PM

Thanks guys! Spent today dry-locking the walls, man, that stuff isn't much fun to work with... haha

I had a really small, 11 x 8.5, in my old house and it sounded pretty nice. I'm going to really try to make this room the best it can be for it's size!