Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's a good paid photo hosting site to use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 07:51 AM

I have some detailed pics and I want to store 1-4MB jpegs if possible for linking to from other sites.

Can anyone recommend a good site?

Thanks.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#2 of 4 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 05:48 PM

www.pbase.com is a very popular one. You basically get 200MB for $23/year -- and their pricing structure allows scaling by 200MB increments on a month-to-month basis. However, their resized views do lose sharpness, ie. when you choose a smaller size than the original image.

If you need more than 200MB and/or need better resized views than pbase.com and don't expect too many hits, you might also consider www.smugmug.com. They charge $30/year for the basic service that provides 2GB/month bandwidth (w/ extra bandwidth for unusual months) or $50/year for power user service that provides 4GB/month. Storage is essentially unlimited, and people can also use their printing service, if desired.

Both have free trial periods to check out.

FWIW, I use pbase.com, but I might also add an account w/ smugmug.com if I start turning my photography into a semi-profession for freelance work.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 4 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 07:49 AM

Thanks Man-Fai. I will check these sites out.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 4 Elinor

Elinor

Supporting Actor

• 559 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 08:12 AM

Photoshare is another excellent value

http://www.photoshar...oShareLogon.asp