What's new

New bad habit, anyone else doing this? (1 Viewer)

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Because my work responsibilities have increased the past two years, my movie time has been trimmed down.

Now I find myself watching parts of movies rather the an entire film. Usually it's the heavy impact stuff -
The lobby shoot out in The Matrix
The crane chase in T3
Asteriod scenes in SW E2 and E5.

The list goes on and on. I realize now that I'm slighting myself by not watching an entire film for the payoff scenes (such as Sixth Sense). But I just don't have time lately. Before anyone thinks I'm completely crazy, I'm only doing this on films that I've seen before.

Anyone else have this "bad" habit?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call it a bad habit. I rarely watch a film I've seen once a second time all the way through, without hitting the FF button. Wish I had time, but I don't.

Now a bad habit is what I have. With some movies, if I find myself not getting too involved in it, I will turn on the subtitles and turn on the X2 fastforward, so I can hear the soundtrack, speed read the dialogue and see the film. Now this is mainly for films I wouldn't watch all the way through, but it is definitely a bad habit.

But it saves time. I managed to watch RETURN OF THE KING in 90 minutes as opposed to the 3 hours, which I never would have survived through (sorry, I'm not a fan of those films)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only section of any movie that I do this time and again with is the 'Ecstacy of Gold' sequence from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - I just can't help it, it's such a wonderful scene.

Lev-S

Second Unit
Hello, my name is Lev, and I have a problem. I too am a scene jumper. :frowning:

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I did the same thing this afternoon. I just re-calibrated my system (the subject in another area of HTF), and found myself popping in Monsters, Inc. just to watch the fabulous ultra-low bass scenes with the "power surge". I skipped all OVER that movie to the end!
I fought the urge to run the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, though; it WAS Sunday afternoon, and the neighbors were sleeping.;)

There's not enough time in the day, I tell ya!

RyanYYZ

Auditioning
I do this all the time... I actually get "cravings" for a certain scene of a film and will throw it in - I'll even do this with several films in a row.

Rocky F

Second Unit
I do it often myself, just because I rarely have time to watch a whole movie, but I'll just get an urge to check out a few scenes.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I do this all the time with comedies to watch the funniest parts. Obviously a movie like Kentucky Fried Movie which is made up of a bunch of individual skits is perfect for that. And on South Park: BLU, I frequently listen to just the songs and rarely watch the movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is exactly what i do.
mostly when i have taken something out from blockbuster and i know i dont have time before it needs to get back.

oddly enough i was going to make a thread about this too.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I like to fall asleep to movies, so when its time for bed, I just throw in a movie and let it stay on til I fall asleep, so I end up having a huge pile of DVDs that I only watch the first 20-40 minutes of. Of course, I only do this to movies I've already seen.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I also get cravings for films that are satisified without watching the whole thing. I recently popped in Amelie, and didn't need to watch the whole thing inorder for it to lift my spirits.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
There are parts of several discs I own (Saving Private Ryan, Attack of the Clones, Empire Strikes Bact, The Hunger, etc) that would be worn out if they were tapes!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The final shoot out in The Wild Bunch, from the point just before the Bunch is walking down the street towards the General.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nope, never. If I don't have time to finish the film I just note where I am (34 minutes, 17 seconds), scratch it down on a piece of paper and return to the film when it's convenient. even if it takes 3 or 4 days.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

Same here, John--I actually saw a few minutes of a TV version of this movie that CUT OUT the sequence entirely, if you can believe that!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I love to watch Superman just for the opening and end credits and rescue sequence, many times...they give me goosebumps!

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I always watch all or nothing. If I don't like a movie enough to enjoy the whole thing then I don't care to own it. I can borrow someone else's or rent a movie if all I'm interested in is one scene.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't think this is a bad habit - it's one of the joys of having a personal film collection on DVD. I can't tell you how many times I've watched:
  • The final 20 minutes of E.T. (bicycle chase to end)
  • "Jupiter & Beyond The Infinite" from 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • The rise of the mothership from Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
  • The opening sequence from Toy Story 2
  • The "Firebird" sequence from Fantasia 2000
  • The Mines of Moria sequence from The Fellowship Of The Ring
etc., etc. I do the same thing with favorite passages in books and favorite cuts from CDs.
The Hunger has only been out a few weeks and you've already worn "that part" out?? Hmmmmm.... ;)

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I do it from time to time when I get home from a late night at the office and know I just don't have time to watch a whole movie. I try not to though. This is exactly why David Lynch opposes chapter stops on his movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks