Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"The Bodyguard": Special Edition announced...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,663 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 11:51 AM

Cruising on over to DVDAnswers for the latest news, I discovered that Warner has announced that another title from the early days will be re-released as a Special Edition.

That title is the Kevin Costner/Whitney Houston drama "The Bodyguard". There's a new 1:85:1 anamorphic widesreen transfer and extras include audio commentary, a featurette, Whitney Houston's video for "I Will Always Love You" and the theatrical trailer.

Box art, specs and menu grabs can be found here.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Thankful for DVDAnswers ever since DVDFile went to posting only DVD reviews and box office updates.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 03:16 PM

I love the cover! Best I've seen for such a weak ass movie.
[c][/c]

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 10:50 PM

I'm glad to finally see an anamorphic release of this movie. I've been wanting to add this one to my collection for a long time!!!

I do have to admit that it seems a little light on features though?? A commentary, one music video and a featurette?

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,863 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 09 2004 - 11:21 PM

I do have to admit that it seems a little light on features though?? A commentary, one music video and a featurette?
Warner finally revisits one of their earlier releases with another release featuring the OAR. You have an audio commentary from all the major players for this film. An interview with the two major stars. The video of Houston's great rendition of "I Will Always Love You" and the trailer. This film doesn't fit the mode for a film historian's perspective, so what else do you want on this dvd? Furthermore, the MSRP is under $20.00 which means you should be able to get this release in the $13-14 range.
Extras will include an audio commentary by the Director, Writer, Producer, Houston and Costner, never before seen on set footage and interviews with both Kevin and Whitney, the Houston's remake of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" music video and the theatrical trailer.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 11:36 PM

Music Videos:

RUN TO YOU
I HAVE NOTHING
I'M EVERY WOMAN

This movie has the biggest selling soundtrack of all time! No reference on the music and it's impact??? Only an interview?

Like I said a little light!

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,863 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 09 2004 - 11:45 PM

This movie has the biggest selling soundtrack of all time! No reference on the music and it's impact??? Only an interview?

Like I said a little light!

Oh well, you can't please all of the people, all of the time! You don't have to buy this dvd and can wait and see if they revisit it again in the future?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 04:22 AM

I've gotta agree with Daddy of the Craw variety here. Posted Image ...... Those special bonuses sound perfectly acceptable to me. Glad at least one music video is incuded, plus some behind-the-camera footage....plus (the kicker) -- the OAR for the first time (in 16x9)!

The kitchen sink is not required here I do not believe. I'm just very glad it's coming in WS. Although I CAN understand why some people want more features, esp. given the "SE" moniker attached. (But I think everyone here knows that that SE tag doesn't necessarily mean a great deal anymore.)

I'm doubting if Mr. Coleman would have spoken out about the lack of features had it not been for those words "Special Edition" staring at him.

I've always liked "The Bodyguard's" snowy, in-the-woods scenes with Ralph Waite. I thought he did a nice job as Costner's dad here. Anybody else concur? Posted Image

P.S. (OT) -- Anybody know what happened to Warner's plans for ER--Season 3 on December 7th? No site has this up.

------------------

Nice cover and sharp menus, to boot. Posted Image ...........

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 07:15 AM

Some confusion regarding the 5-person Audio Commentary. DVD-Times says it's not on the SE. Posted Image ..........

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=13281

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 07:25 AM

OT: Does this drive anyone else batty (besides me)? .... That is: the "British" way of describing
certains things. ......

"Universal are releasing one of Billy Connolly's best stand up performances on DVD this November 22nd, namely Billy & Albert....."

Instead of "Universal is...", they use "are" -- as if "Universal" is more than just one studio, or a plural thing of some ilk. To me, this is flat wrong, and every UK site does this. Cannot abide it.

Anyway, just a small "is vs. are" rant.

And remember kids -- Christmas are coming next month. Posted Image

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 08:09 AM

I think this SE is perfectly acceptable, I do agree with David C. that it would have been nice to see a docu on one of the bestselling soundtracks and the other music videos for the movie.

I've been holding out on this movie for a long time, I'm just glad that WB finally got back to it! Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
I've always liked "The Bodyguard's" snowy, in-the-woods scenes with Ralph Waite. I thought he did a nice job as Costner's dad here. Anybody else concur?
I think so too.

I also would have liked more of the Music videos on this "SE".

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,863 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 10 2004 - 09:43 AM

I also would have liked more of the Music videos on this "SE".

Yeah, let's load up some more videos and let Warner charge another $6-7 for this SE so the price is in line with their other Special Editions. Some people are too hungup about the words "Special Edition" it's usage today is more a marketing tool than anything else.

Crawdaddy

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 10 2004 - 10:21 AM

I'm just happy to get this in OAR. I think I have a disc of all of Whitney's videos somewhere anyway that I got for about $2 when UrbanFetch went under. Posted Image

Quote:
Instead of "Universal is...", they use "are" -- as if "Universal" is more than just one studio, or a plural thing of some ilk. To me, this is flat wrong, and every UK site does this. Cannot abide it.

Actually, you can relax -- it's perfectly legitimate. A word that refers to a grouping of multiple people can be used with a singular or plural verb (for example, "the crowd is" or "the crowd are," etc.). (At least, according to the style guides that I've looked it up in! Posted Image )
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   John Goodwin

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 10:30 AM

Quote:

Universal has many different divisions depending on where you are in the world,so technically,they could be classed as plural-as each region would be releasing it etc.

We also spell colour differently Posted Image

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Sam_Nas

Sam_Nas

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 11:41 AM

I can't wait! FINALLY.

Ok, I read on "dvdtimes" that the dvd does not have an audio commentary, unlike what "dvdanswers" said. Who is right? Does someone have the official press release from Warner, where can I find it?

Anyways, there isn't too many extras, but hey at least the picture quality will good and in widescreen, and it will have some extras. The first dvd release back in 1997 was pathetic. They finally released a special edition. Posted Image

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 11:52 AM

I've always liked "The Bodyguard's" snowy, in-the-woods scenes with Ralph Waite. I thought he did a nice job as Costner's dad here. Anybody else concur?

Absolutely, and I've always thought this is the logical finale to the movie. If they would have clipped it here, and avoided the silly resolution at the academy awards, it would have been a far superior film.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted November 10 2004 - 01:36 PM

This is by far one of my favorite films from the early 90's. I have it on VHS, but have held off from buying the DVD for obvious reasons. I'll most definitely pick this up. I agree however that the film's soundtrack is the crowning jewel. It would've been nice to see all of the music videos, and perhaps a documentary on the production of the soundtrack, but I'm perfectly content with the "I Will Always Love You" music video. I can't wait to own this.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 05:41 PM

Wow... how did what I said get misinterpreted??? I never said anything about not getting the DVD. I fully intend to. I've been waiting for this one to be re-released since I got a DVD player back in '97. I specifically didn't buy that release hoping they'd revisit it! That's why I say this re-release is a little lite.

Would I like it to be a 2-disc special edition?? Yes!! I think if you can make PURPLE RAIN a 2- disc Special Edition you can make THE BODYGUARD one too!!

The fact remains that THE BODYGUARD is the biggest selling soundtrack of all time and the music certainly needs to be highlighted and all the Whitney videos(if not all the videos) deserve to be highlighted. Would also have been interesting to see some deleted scenes from the movie too!!!

Am I saying that for $19.99 this is bad bargain?? NO!! It's great that they are coming out with a SE for this film!! Could they have done a little more with this disc? Yes!

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:30 PM

Quote:
Actually, you can relax -- it's perfectly legitimate. A word that refers to a grouping of multiple people can be used with a singular or plural verb (for example, "the crowd is" or "the crowd are," etc.). (At least, according to the style guides that I've looked it up in! )

Yeah, I know, but it sounds wrong, and dumb (IMO). And appears to be JUST a Brit thing only, from everything I've read.

"The crowd are going wild after the Red Sox victory!!!" --- Boy, would that sound stupid coming out of an announcer's mouth. Posted Image

"The New York Stock Exchange are dropping rapidly today..."

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 03:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, let's load up some more videos and let Warner charge another $6-7 for this SE so the price is in line with their other Special Editions. Some people are too hungup about the words "Special Edition" it's usage today is more a marketing tool than anything else.
Jeez, I'm sorry I asked for a little more in the way of extras. Posted Image I'm willing to pay a few more $$ for them. But to each their own as to what they will pay for a DVD.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow