What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"The Bodyguard": Special Edition announced... (1 Viewer)

Sam_Nas

Grip
Jeff_HR, I totally agree. They could have easily put more videos, and I've also seen many documentaries about The Bodyguard, etc. So they could have also added things. There's also a director's cut out there with many deleted scenes.

Anyways, it's disappointing that they didn't put too much on the dvd, however I'm happy that we'll at least get a decent version this time because the old one was pathetic... I really hope the audio commentary is on the dvd, if it is, it will be a good special edition. If it's not, then it will be a decent special edition with basic things like trailer, music video and making of.

I hope the making of documentary "memories of the Bodyguard" is very long and has many interesting things in it. I hope it's at least 30 minutes long.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've had the WS R2 version for a while since the original R1 was Fullscreen.

I'd have loved to see everything you mentioned Sam. ;)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
From the WB Press Release:
---------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

The Perfect Valentine’s Day Gift for Someone You’ll Always Love…

THE BODYGUARD

Special Edition DVD

February 1

Starring Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner and Featuring the Screen Debut of Singer-Star Whitney Houston

Ultra Romantic Suspense Thriller Arrives for First Time in Widescreen with New Digital Transfer in Dolby 5.1

Includes New Making-of Documentary and Whitney Houston Music Video of I Will Always Love You

BURBANK, Calif., November 9, 2004 – The Bodyguard -- starring Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves, Field of Dreams, Tin Cup, JFK) and multi-Grammy® award winning singer/actress Whitney Houston (The Preacher’s Wife, Waiting to Exhale, Cinderella) -- will arrive for the first time in widescreen on February 1 from Warner Home Video (WHV). In plenty of time for Valentine’s Day gift-giving and loaded with previously unavailable bonus content, including Whitney Houston’s music video I Will Always Love You,

The Bodyguard Special Edition DVD will be available for $19.96 SRP.

The Bodyguard scored approximately $122 million at the domestic box-office with its combination of passionate romance, suspense and high-wattage star chemistry and has sold more than four million videos to date. Whitney Houston, unequaled for her run of seven consecutive #1 records in the ‘80s, not only made a spectacular screen debut in The Bodyguard, she also held the #1 spot on Billboard's Hot 100 for 14 weeks with this film rendition of Dolly Parton’s "I Will Always Love You." Two songs from the film -- "I Have Nothing" and "Run to You" -- were nominated for Best Original Song Oscars®.

Written by Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill, Silverado, The Accidental Tourist, Empire Strikes Back), and directed by Mick Jackson (L.A. Story, Volcano)

The Bodyguard stars Houston as a pop-music diva and Costner as the ultra-serious bodyguard assigned to protect her in the aftermath of several death threats. Initially repelled by each other like water and oil, a passion ignites between them as the danger increases, transforming them as everything around them explodes.

In addition to featuring a new digital transfer in Dolby 5.1 and debuting on DVD in widescreen, bonus materials for The Bodyguard Special Edition include:

New making-of documentary Memories of The Bodyguard with the stars and filmmakers.
I Will Always Love You Whitney Houston music video
Theatrical trailer

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, it does say "loaded with special features." Maybe there are more that weren't mentioned in the press release.

That statement would never, ever, ever sound stupid. EVER! :D

CraigL

Screenwriter
This is the same SE that's been available in R3 for months. IIRC, the documentary isn't that long either.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Without a commentary I think I'll just stay with my R2 version. "Special Edition", not at all!!

Sam_Nas

Grip
For those interested, the making of documentary "Memories of The Bodyguard" will be 27 minutes long.

Also it looks like the audio commentary was a false rumor. So there's only:

"Memories of the Bodyguard" (27 minutes)
I Will Always Love You video
Theatrical trailer

Well, at least the making of is a good length.

If some people are interested in other details, I have the back dvd cover pic, and many other menus from the dvd (both for the overseas special edition in another langage, even though they will be very similar for the US version with just some of the writing changing)...

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody pick this up? Is the featurette worth a flip? Transfer/sound quality?
Doesn't look like much of an SE to me from the skimpy features. Where are the deleted scenes from the TV version??

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking it up today. It IS rather skimpy for a S.E. I'd have liked to have had all the music videos of the songs, and a commentary. :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The video presentation is fine. The making of featurette is about 27 minutes and you have the only one music video. There is no commentary, but for less than $13.00 I'm glad to finally have this film in widescreen.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This film has been available in WS in R2 for some time. Those who are multi-regional could have purchased this in WS before now, as I did. I'm buying the R1 version for the "skimpy" extras.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm a patient person and due to personal preferences, I have generally stopped buying other region dvds. I have so many dvds in my library and many that I haven't even watched yet that I can afford to wait on a particular dvd release in Region 1, especially, if I think it's good possiblity that a Region 1 release is coming in the future. Furthermore, I don't like double-dipping on a dvd unless it's absolutely necessary, thus, I'll play the waiting game.

Crawdaddy

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The video is quiet flat, and so is the sound. Disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks