Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

U2's New Single

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,675 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 02:11 AM

Has anyone heard U@'s new single Vertigo? It's really grown on me, definately a solid track. Hopefully the rest of their album will be as good as this single. Any thoughts?

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor

• 575 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 02:57 AM

Is it super compressed like the last album? I guess if you've only heard it on the radio, you probably don't know. When does the album come out?

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Dale Van Minsel

Dale Van Minsel

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 03:46 AM

Yes, the version from iTunes has lots of (audio) compression! Current release date that I've seen for the album is November 23rd.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,675 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 04:33 AM

Kyle, The version I downloaded sounded pretty good to me.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 08:39 AM

Nothing special IMHO.

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 01:11 PM

Vertigo is exactly what I want from U2, more rock less electronic. I love the hell out of this song! Posted Image Posted Image

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 03:47 AM

Definitely the best they have done since Pop, IMHO. Just heard it on XM, and I had to look up to see who it was. It grabbed me from the moment it began playing. It does not sound like they were trying to re-record the Joshua Tree like their last effort. And thats a good thing, from my perspective. My personal favorite U2 period is Achtung Baby and Pop, and this fits in well with the straight ahead rockers on those two LPs. Funny thing, at least from a guitar perspective, its not immediately identifiable as U2 until about half way though, when there are some classic Edge delayed, chimey guitar bits. In fact, it sort of sounded like they were going for a vibe similar to some of the flavor of the month bands live the Hives. Not that thats really a bad thing, but its more rock, less pop than a lot of their previous work. Now, if they can fill an LP with cuts like this, I will be all over it. BGL

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 04:20 AM

Hmmm. I really liked their last album, and my fave U2 albums are, in order, Rattle and Hum, The Unforgettable Fire and October. I am still hopeful, but hearing this makes me slightly less so. There's very little about most of the stuff U2 made in the 90s that I liked.

"You know, God has some really weird kids, and I find it hard to be in their company most of the time."
--Paul "Bono" Hewson

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 05:15 AM

I heard the 30-second clip on U2.com and dug what I heard. The piece I listened to had a very punkish vibe and is not easily identifiable as U2. Now if I could only find the actual single anywhere in stores so I could listen to the entire song...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   DavidKNML

DavidKNML

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 09:10 AM

The new song sounds great. Can't wait for the Album. I also really enjoyed the last album. My top 2 favorites: Joshua Tree Unforgettable Fire Least Favorite: Pop

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 09:52 AM

i like it! Posted Image

side note, am i the only one that is glad u2 got rid of their other website? all that flash stuff drove me crazy!

other side note, i really liked their last album. it might be my fave.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted October 04 2004 - 08:02 PM

The song is available for download at iTunes.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Keith M.

Keith M.

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 06:53 AM

I didnt care for it. I think they are going in the wrong direction...

I have been a fan since the October album. And my personal favs are:

Boy
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Auchtung Baby
All the things...

The song reminded me too much of that crap on the Pop album. I would think they would have learned their lesson.

I still look forward to hearing the entire album. Hopefully, this is the only "filler" on it...
Posted Image

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted October 05 2004 - 07:49 AM

Thanks, Ken. I'll admit that I haven't looked there since I'm kind of a stickler for a hard copy Posted Image
Tim's Essential Music

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted October 12 2004 - 07:39 AM

For those of you with iTunes, they now have the "Vertigo" video which looks like an extended TV ad for the iPod. Anyone else besides me feel a little uncomfortable with this US/Apple tie-in?

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 05:17 AM

Have not seen the video, but did see that commercial during the ALCS game last night. I thought it looked pretty cool, and I still think the song is killer. As for the relationship between the band and Apple...if I were to discontinue listening to bands that are in some way sponsored, or have some other relationship with a commercial enterprise, I suspect I would not be listening to too much music. Zep is doing Cadillac commercials, T-Rex is doing Mitsubishi commercials, I don't think any major band, no matter the genre tours without sponsorship. Just the way it is, unless all I want to listen to is indie music, and once those bands take off, they too will be doing Target commercials. BGL

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 09:08 AM

Like Springsteen and Neil Young, I thought U2 would be one of the last rock music acts not to sell their music(or themselves) out to a commercial. I guess everyone has their price. It does bother me a little to see this but I got their(U2) single from iTunes and I like the track. As for Zeppelin, Cadillac is using every penny of the reportedly $5million on its commercials-it's gotten to the point where I can't even listen to "Rock and Roll Music" anymore. I'm sick of those Caddy commercials.

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 09:19 AM

I was tired of "Rock and Roll" long before the Caddy commercialsPosted Image And I am a huge Zep fan.

Heck, Dylan did an ad for Victoria's Secrets....is there a more scared cow in all of rock than Bob????

On a side note, I have had an iPod/iTunes since March. Vertigo was the 1st piece of music I actually bought. Even though I know its a 128k POS, and I will buy the CD wen it comes out, I just love this track. Edge is just absolutely nailing a most killer guitar tone....even through crap PC speakers it sounds good.

BGL

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 09:46 AM

Well, it appears the hard-copy version of the single will street on 11/8. Also, I'm not terribly thrilled about "Vertigo" being used to shill iTunes.
Tim's Essential Music

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 09:50 AM

edit - didn't mean to thread-fart. i'll put this in a new thread...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users