U2's New Single

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bryan Ri, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Has anyone heard U@'s new single Vertigo?

It's really grown on me, definately a solid track. Hopefully the rest of their album will be as good as this single.

Any thoughts?

2. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Is it super compressed like the last album? I guess if you've only heard it on the radio, you probably don't know. When does the album come out?

3. Dale Van Minsel

Dale Van Minsel Auditioning

Yes, the version from iTunes has lots of (audio) compression!

Current release date that I've seen for the album is November 23rd.

4. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Kyle,

The version I downloaded sounded pretty good to me.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Nothing special IMHO.

6. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Vertigo is exactly what I want from U2, more rock less electronic. I love the hell out of this song! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Definitely the best they have done since Pop, IMHO. Just heard it on XM, and I had to look up to see who it was. It grabbed me from the moment it began playing.

It does not sound like they were trying to re-record the Joshua Tree like their last effort. And thats a good thing, from my perspective. My personal favorite U2 period is Achtung Baby and Pop, and this fits in well with the straight ahead rockers on those two LPs.

Funny thing, at least from a guitar perspective, its not immediately identifiable as U2 until about half way though, when there are some classic Edge delayed, chimey guitar bits. In fact, it sort of sounded like they were going for a vibe similar to some of the flavor of the month bands live the Hives. Not that thats really a bad thing, but its more rock, less pop than a lot of their previous work.

Now, if they can fill an LP with cuts like this, I will be all over it.

BGL

8. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Hmmm. I really liked their last album, and my fave U2 albums are, in order, Rattle and Hum, The Unforgettable Fire and October.

I am still hopeful, but hearing this makes me slightly less so. There's very little about most of the stuff U2 made in the 90s that I liked.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I heard the 30-second clip on U2.com and dug what I heard. The piece I listened to had a very punkish vibe and is not easily identifiable as U2. Now if I could only find the actual single anywhere in stores so I could listen to the entire song...

10. DavidKNML

DavidKNML Agent

The new song sounds great. Can't wait for the Album. I also really enjoyed the last album.

My top 2 favorites:
    Joshua Tree
    Unforgettable Fire

Least Favorite: Pop

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i like it! [​IMG]

side note, am i the only one that is glad u2 got rid of their other website? all that flash stuff drove me crazy!

other side note, i really liked their last album. it might be my fave.

12. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

The song is available for download at iTunes.

13. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I didnt care for it. I think they are going in the wrong direction...

I have been a fan since the October album. And my personal favs are:

Boy
    Unforgettable Fire
    Joshua Tree
    Auchtung Baby
    All the things...

The song reminded me too much of that crap on the Pop album. I would think they would have learned their lesson.

I still look forward to hearing the entire album. Hopefully, this is the only "filler" on it...
    [​IMG]

14. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Thanks, Ken. I'll admit that I haven't looked there since I'm kind of a stickler for a hard copy [​IMG]

15. charles white

charles white Second Unit

For those of you with iTunes, they now have the "Vertigo" video which looks like an extended TV ad for the iPod. Anyone else besides me feel a little uncomfortable with this US/Apple tie-in?

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Have not seen the video, but did see that commercial during the ALCS game last night. I thought it looked pretty cool, and I still think the song is killer.

As for the relationship between the band and Apple...if I were to discontinue listening to bands that are in some way sponsored, or have some other relationship with a commercial enterprise, I suspect I would not be listening to too much music.

Zep is doing Cadillac commercials, T-Rex is doing Mitsubishi commercials, I don't think any major band, no matter the genre tours without sponsorship. Just the way it is, unless all I want to listen to is indie music, and once those bands take off, they too will be doing Target commercials.

BGL

17. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Like Springsteen and Neil Young, I thought U2 would be one of the last rock music acts not to sell their music(or themselves) out to a commercial. I guess everyone has their price. It does bother me a little to see this but I got their(U2) single from iTunes and I like the track. As for Zeppelin, Cadillac is using every penny of the reportedly $5million on its commercials-it's gotten to the point where I can't even listen to "Rock and Roll Music" anymore. I'm sick of those Caddy commercials.

18. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I was tired of "Rock and Roll" long before the Caddy commercials[​IMG] And I am a huge Zep fan.

Heck, Dylan did an ad for Victoria's Secrets....is there a more scared cow in all of rock than Bob????

On a side note, I have had an iPod/iTunes since March. Vertigo was the 1st piece of music I actually bought. Even though I know its a 128k POS, and I will buy the CD wen it comes out, I just love this track. Edge is just absolutely nailing a most killer guitar tone....even through crap PC speakers it sounds good.

BGL

19. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, it appears the hard-copy version of the single will street on 11/8.

Also, I'm not terribly thrilled about "Vertigo" being used to shill iTunes.

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

edit - didn't mean to thread-fart. i'll put this in a new thread...