Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

cheap but decent speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted August 30 2004 - 06:18 AM

Ive got a '94 Integra sedan, and I want to replace the fronts (6.5") and rears (6x9). I dont want to spend a ton of money. I have a nice Alpine deck and subs, and a large amp. I have 4 way Pioneer 6x9's but I feel they are just about out of life. The fronts are stock, and those are the ones Im mainly concerned with. Id like seperate component speakers but I'll settle for some normal ones as long as they sound good and arent expensive. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted August 31 2004 - 12:19 PM

What's your total budget for all 4 speakers?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted September 01 2004 - 12:56 AM

I dont really have a budget, but since the fronts are my main concern, Id like to stay between $100-$150 for a pair, but I mean, I want something that sounds decent. Cause if its going to sound like ass I'd just rather hold out. Do you know of any make/models that are a good bang for a buck?
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 10:06 AM

for the front I would go with the CDT CL-61 (these go for $150 at the zeb) and for the rear go with the CL-5X (coaxial 5.25") and use a 6x9" to 5.25" adapter. The CDT Classic line is considered to be one of the best bang for your buck speakers

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   David.G

David.G

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted September 08 2004 - 01:15 AM

if you want CDT i can give you an email for a guy who gets my CDT stuff. If you want coaxials i believe he has/had a good sale on some CL series.

OK here's his contacts
Email - islandsound1@yahoo.com
AIM - djdilliodon

...he's a good seller. i got great prices on my stuff. I bought the TW-25t tweets for 35$ shipped when they sell for about 100$.
David is the car audio guy, Jason is the home audio so if you see a post in car audio thats David, if in Home thats more than likely Jason. Confusing isn't it!!! Also i hope i am allowed to put my sounddomain down on my equipment page. Its car audio but you guys might enjoy it.

http://members.sou...

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Sai

Sai

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 04:40 AM

djdilliodon is a really great guy and a great seller. I bought the CDT ef comps speaker from him for $152 shipped. They usually go for $300. The best part of it is he is an autherized dealer too.

$100-$150 for a pair of speakers is plently. The question is do you plan to amp the speakers. If you do, I highly recommend componets speakers. Again, IM djdilliodon and see what deals he got going. If you dont plan to amp it, go with coax. speakers. Some good coax speakers that will work well on a non-ampped system are JL audio VR series, Alpine type R, and Focals. All of them start at about $100 a pair for the 6.5 and about $130 for the 6x9 on ebay. Exspect to pay $150-$200 if you shop at retail.

If you really want to save money, go with pioneer. They are really good for the money. You can find them for under $80 for there top of the line coax.

What ever you do, I would go with Pioneer 6x9, I think they make the best 6x9.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   David.G

David.G

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted September 26 2004 - 03:20 PM

Boston Acoustic 6x9s were better IMO. Also try Polk Audio, the Momo line is very nice and can take a pretty good beating.
David is the car audio guy, Jason is the home audio so if you see a post in car audio thats David, if in Home thats more than likely Jason. Confusing isn't it!!! Also i hope i am allowed to put my sounddomain down on my equipment page. Its car audio but you guys might enjoy it.

http://members.sou...

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted September 27 2004 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think Im gonna have to tough it out for now though, I found out I have a kid on the way. So Im looking at a new vehicle all together.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason M

Jason M

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted September 29 2004 - 08:37 AM

I had Boston Acoustic 6x9s in my truck. They worked great and loved watts.