Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDs with Isolated Soundtracks....recommendations?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 08:28 AM

I've lost track if I even have one of these. Anyone have a list? Or know of any?

#2 of 31 Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 08:35 AM

I believe LA Confidential has an isolated score. The 20th annivesary edition of Alien has one too.

#3 of 31 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 08:37 AM

Most definitely. Here are some recommendations off the top of my head:

- Superman: The Movie contains John Williams' score in really cool Dolby 5.0, along with a separate section of alternate takes and selections not heard in the film also in 5.0.

- The now out-of-print Alien 20th Anniversary Edition DVD contains not one but two isolated audio tracks of Jerry Goldsmith's score for the film, one track with the untarnished score for the film, and the other track with alternate versions of Goldsmith's cues and on-set production audio.

- The first single-disc release of The Mummy (1999 has a hidden Easter egg feature that showcases Goldsmith's complete score for the film. You have to access the Languages section on the DVD and wait for the screen to complete cycling through, and that will allow you to hear the complete score for the film.

- I don't know if this is out of print or not, because of the superseding of the 2-disc (or 3-disc, depending on if you get it at Wal-Mart) Special Edition, but the original DVD release of Field of Dreams contains an Easter egg of the complete score as heard in the film. From what I have heard, it's the exact same as what's on the CD release and no added cues, though I could be wrong.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#4 of 31 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 08:42 AM

Thanks guys. I thought The Mummy had one, I just couldn't find it.

This will make a nice list. Keep posting.

#5 of 31 Shaun

Shaun

Second Unit

• 317 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 08:54 AM

There are lots of DVDs out there with isolated scores. Legends of the Fall has select tracks, Family Man, and Apollo 13, which can be heard at the main menu.
Shawn Siref
---------------------------------------------------
Equipment:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-73733 73-Inch Widescreen HDTV
Receiver: Denon AVR-2805 DD-EX/DTS-ES 7.1DVD Player: Denon DVD-2200HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A35Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD55Speakers: Klipsch Reference SeriesSubwoofe...

#6 of 31 GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 10:19 AM

Yes, the complete Field of Dreams score as heard in the movie plays as an alternate audio track over the documentary. This is also the feature that enables you to hear one of the late Jerry Goldsmith's finest, Patton, in isolated Dolby Digital (on Disc 2 of the original OOP special-edition release). And, of course, don't forget the theatrical cut of Amadeus. The score is an alternate audio track over the film itself.

This feature is the most sorely-missed on DVD, to me. It could have quieted many a grumble over the Indiana Jones and Star Wars Trilogy box sets if the films had offered isolated score tracks, IMHO.

"Film is not created in a vacuum. Rather, it results from a combination of forces and personalities, coupled with limitations of time, budget, and technology, which all converge in a way that is unique to a moment in time."--Robert Wise

#7 of 31 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 10:25 AM

Also Assault on Precinct 13, Blade, Blade II, Boiler Room, A Bug's Life, The Dark Crystal, the .hack//SIGN series, Down by Law, E.T., Enter the Dragon, Final Fantasy, Heavy Metal 2000, Legend, Mars Attacks, THe Matrix, Notoius (Criterion), O, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Rebecca (Criterion), Rudy, Rush Hour, Short Circuit, Stand by Me, Starship Troopers, Steel Magnolias and Straw Dogs (Criterion).
My Collection

#8 of 31 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
This feature is the most sorely-missed on DVD, to me.

I've heard the reason why so few DVDs have isolated scores is so that they don't cut into sales of the soundtrack CDs.

#9 of 31 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted August 20 2004 - 11:17 AM

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (5.1, has Danny Elfman commentary between cues, and sounds fantastic!)

Doctor Zhivago (5.1, excellent sound)

The Adventures of Robin Hood (mono, but surprisingly great sound)

North By Northwest (only stereo, but great. Although, the CD is better)

#10 of 31 Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 11:18 AM

KISS ME KATE

#11 of 31 Matthew J

Matthew J

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 12:05 PM

Blade II

#12 of 31 JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,767 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 12:22 PM

Leon: The Professional
Alien: COllectors Edition (the 1999 release)

#13 of 31 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 01:19 PM

I have two that Dan Rudolph didn't mention already..Posted Image Posted Image

Dario Argento's The Bird With The Crystal Plumage has the Ennio Morricone score in a separate menu with chapter listing.

And speaking of Morricone, John Carpenter's The Thing also has Ennio's score as a separate track on the documentary.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#14 of 31 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 04:14 PM

Traffic: The Criterion Collection

My favorite movie with an wonderful score. During the breaks, there is commentary by the composer, Cliff Martinez. However, if you're not a fan of minimalism, don't get the DVD for the isolated score.

#15 of 31 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 05:11 PM

There are already several web sites devoted to listing isolated scores on DVD, including this one:

http://www.treuherz....res/dvdlist.htm
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#16 of 31 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 05:20 PM

Apollo 13 (DD version)
Stand By Me Collector's Edition

#17 of 31 Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted August 20 2004 - 05:59 PM

City of Angels is one of my favorites. I actually watch that DVD with the isolated score more often than I do the film itself. Also, I believe the score has yet to be released separately(not counting the four tracks on the soundtrack CD).
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#18 of 31 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,977 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 21 2004 - 02:48 AM

The Sound of Music. Irwin Kostal's treatment of the classic R&H score earned a well-deserved Academy Award, and can be heard isolated on the DVD in 2.0 stereo.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#19 of 31 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted August 21 2004 - 03:03 AM

Quote:
I've heard the reason why so few DVDs have isolated scores is so that they don't cut into sales of the soundtrack CDs.

That's one of many reasons. But isolated scores are definitely a feature whose time has come and gone, largely because of the money involved.

If you look at the titles recommended so far, only a few have come out in the past few years. And when discs that originally had isolated scores are re-released as special editions, the score is always dropped. I can't think of an example when it was kept.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#20 of 31 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 21 2004 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
The Sound of Music. Irwin Kostal's treatment of the classic R&H score earned a well-deserved Academy Award, and can be heard isolated on the DVD in 2.0 stereo.
I tried listening to it once, but I stopped as soon as I heard Julie Andrews' voice in the background. It's definitely not completely isolated, they just attempted to rip out the voice part of the track.

Forum Nav Content I Follow