What's new

Does anyone know the putative release date for SONY SCD-CE595? (1 Viewer)

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know the putative release date for SONY SCD-CE595?
Also, does the lack of DVD component may mean that the CD/SACD quality of this player will be comparable to much more expensive universal/DVD players?

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
Are you sure it is the new SCD-CE595 model? Our Best Buy does not seem to have it.

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
Thanks for the tip. Our BestBuy did not have it on display yet, but they had them in stock. I picked one up, but since I have no SACDs right now and have not heard to other CD/SACD palyers, its hard for me to comment on the quality of it sound. Anyways, I like it quite a bit thus far.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I was positive. I played around with it when I was putting it out on display. Not too bad, looks like they are trying to copy the ES models a little. I have a SCD-CE775 that I picked up a few years back and I wanted to see how this compares. As far as manufacturer's sites, it seems like it is 2 months *AFTER* we get them before they update their sites these days. Like the whole LG brand DLP's, LG was insisting to customers calling in that they weren't released to the public yet. There was a customer who wanted to call them in regards to the bulb prices, and they insisted he couldn't be looking at one since they weren't due out yet. It was and had been in our store for a week, I had sold 3 of them.;)

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Went to my BB to pick one up...they had one on display but were out of stock. It looked decent and the carousel operated smoothly and quietly...much smoother than the Denon DCM-280/380s I've been eyeing at Ultimate. Wonder how it sounds...

Vasia - how does yours sound with CD's? Are you hooked up with analog cables? Does it come with all six cables??

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck_W,
It sounds fine, but not being a true audiophile, I really cannot an accurate assessment. I was waiting for somebody more qualified to make the first judgement. It only come with one very basic RCA cable, no other cables at all. Basically, I think its transport mechanism is pretty nice, but audio quality with CDs does not seem anything particularly special to me.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
OK, breaking in the player with the stereo hybrid of Spandau Ballet's "True".

Damn! This disc sounds excellent in SACD!! Even though the CD layer sounded wonderful to me, the SACD layer takes in up to another level.

Let me try another disc and report back....

Update: Just tried, in 2 channel mode, my imported multi-channel hybrid SACD of Dave Brubeck's "Time Out". The CD layer is actually encoded in HDCD, verified with my computer's Microsoft Media Player, but unmarked on the disc or the packaging....the CE595 is very good with this layer. Despite not able to decode the HDCD info, it's certainly better than any $150.00 dedicated CD player I've heard. Like the Spandau Ballet SACD, the SACD layer performance takes the sound quality up a notch. The music sounded more real, the impact of the drums that much more dynamic, and the piano is just so....there. It's amazing this recording is 50 years old.

Remember, this is just my opinion. The playback is thru the headphone out of a receiver, using Audioquest's almost bottom-of-the-line interconnects, and a pair of $70.00 Grado SR60 headphones. I am satisfied with this player after about 2 days of breaking in. If it gets better with more time, then this should one heck of an audio bargain.

If your Best Buy has the unit in stock, try it. You have 30 days to return it.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Completely off-topic, but you sent me to the dictionary by pulling out "putative"--a word I'd never seen before. Nice work :D

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

Does anyone still think this is cute? This has got to be up there with Pan and Scam in annoyance factor.:thumbsdown:

We still have 5 in at our local store.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Our Best Buy had a couple last I checked. I had heard it had an I-Link input but I found that to be false(and too good to be true). I'm waiting on the ES version unless I can get an SACD player in my Dvd player(the 2910 or 3910 from Denon which I'm considering).

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I can see how "Busted Buy" might be annoying to someone who works there but I have to say "Pan and Scam" is exactly right (and I must admit, I've never come across this before today--but it's perfect).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks