What's new

What's the difference between a speed hump and a speed bump? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Surely, if they take the time to make different signs for each, there must be some kind of tangible difference. Anyone have a clue? I've always wondered....

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
My amateur differention includes:

bump - small and steep, you must slow down to avoid hitting it hard

hump - much larger but not as steep, the ones where I live are like 5ft wide and much smoother so you can still go over them at 20-30mph

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Basically, what Leila said.

Bump- you know, the typical deal in parking lots.

Hump- more of a tabletop, up 3-4in, then 4-5ft long, then down. Used to slow traffic in neighborhoods, without forcing near-stops for the paranoid (of which I am a member;) )

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wait til you see the signs for a "speed plateau" or a speed scree" :)

Or then there's the famous ones that say "Speed Zone ahead" Cool! Let me get my right foot ready.

Jay

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I got a pretty funny story about a speed hump. Was going down this 25mph road and a pimped out Honda was tailgating me. Little did he know there was a sizable, about 6" high and 4-5' long hump ahead, not exactly smooth. Now I'm in a real SUV at the time with about 6-7" suspension travel and I'm thinking that if he runs over the hump at same speed it should be pretty funny. So I speed up to about 30, about maximum for me and that speed hump, the guy is still 6 feet behind.

Fast forward about 1/3 of a second, the bottom half of his bumper completely shatters, breaks off, and goes under the car.

Tailgaters :angry: :D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
lol.... anyone have any idea how to get speed humps installed in a neighborhood?

I live on a street that is about three blocks long with no cross streets. Recently they punched the street through to the highway so no my street has become another route to the Highway, instead of just access to the neighborhood. Thus many people that dont live in the neighborhood speed down my street. Ive seen some going (guessing) close to 55MPH. :angry:

Some help would be great.

Phil_L

Second Unit

I lived in such a neighborhood. One day some of our neighbors came around with a petition asking for a speed hump (hehehehe, hump). Within weeks the city had installed them. Not all municipalities run that smoothly, but a petition might be a good start.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
If you guys ever go to Mexico, you'll see the real killer speed bumps. Known as topes, they place them at random locations in towns, and do not paint them and most are unmarked, so they look just like the road.

and they are extremely steep, some almost ^ shaped. Even at very low speeds some cars will scrape.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone. Interesting information all around! :D Has anyone found any state or federal guidelines though? Just curious....

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I can think of one neighborhood around here that has what it sounds like most of you are describing as "speed humps"--basically a long, short plateau. When I read "speed hump", I was thinking of the oversized speed bumps we have in my neighborhood. These are slightly higher than a run-of-the-mill speed bump, and a good 3 feet wide. To avoid scraping and/or damage, you have no choice but to go slow over these things. They're marked clearly, but that doesn't stop people from hitting them at top speed. I saw an elderly couple hit one in a minivan doing 35+ mph (in a 25 mph zone). The front end bounced hard enough that it looked as though they had hydraulics.

Almost as good as the humps are the speed dips. These are simply the opposite of the speed humps I'm thinking of. They're dips instead of humps, and are as deep as the others are high, and just as wide. These are a bit more devious, IMO, and require you to slow down a bit more. I've talked to a few people who have ended up with damage to their cars because of them.

I've asked about getting speed humps installed on our street for a lot of reasons. We live on the corner and there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood. Our corner is only a two-way stop, and a lot of idiots use the cross street to squeal their tires, rev their engines, and do their best to get their cars going as fast as possible. Complicating this fact are the not-at-all-mentally-deficient neighbors who don't understand what the stop signs really mean. None of them have insurance, of course. I don't know how many accidents have actually occurred in front of our house, but I've seen three myself. In each situation, the victim (meaning the one who didn't run the stop sign) got upset when they heard the other idiot didn't have insurance and simply left the scene without reporting it to the cops (this would lead to them losing their licenses, and possibly their cars, but if they're willing to drive without insurance, I'm sure the absence of a license wouldn't matter much, either).

Anyways, the times I've called to request speed bumps, humps, dips or a stop sign, I'm made to look like the bad guy. I'm told that they'll keep my name on record and let everyone who complains about it know that I called for it. They also insist that there's a ton of paperwork to be filled out, and no matter how often I've requested it, they never send it. I call once every three months or so, so I'll be calling again soon.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Try this: Sit in your front yard with an object in your hand that looks like a speed gun (blow drier maybe?) and a pad of paper and pen. Make a show out of "aiming" the object at cars as they go by and let them see you "writing" notes about them...bet that slows them down. :D

RichardK

Second Unit
my uncle said it costs upwards of $150K to put speeds humps on a neighborhood street...sounded very pricey to me, but i wasnt about to question him because he has always been right on about those types of things...

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
You could always teach your kids not to play in the street, but I guess that's out of fashion in the current zeitgeist, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks