What's new

iPod your BMW (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so I've been hemming and hawing about upgrading my Creative Jukebox to an iPod because the iPod doesn't have a line out (only headphone out), but now I stumble onto this!!!!
http://www.ipodyourbmw.com/

Has anyone tried this???? It looks like I just got in on the minimum requirements with a 2002 "3 series". - Whew!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
iPod also doesn't have a direct, traditional line out (headphones include volume information and tend to distort when played through speaker), but the dock connector on the bottom can carry sound information just fine. The dock does have a normal line out, and there are several other, smaller accessories that also convert the connector to an 1/8" miniplug stereo line out, with no volume info.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Alpine will be introducing a line of iPod-ready head units which will connect to the iPod and allow for total control and playback.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered a 40GB iPod, but it looks like I'll have to cancel it and wait to see if that 50GB comes out soon. They say it will have a color screen and video outs. :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

What? Are you serious? The iRivers have a line out and its even optical!

I already have my new iRiver hooked up to my car deck through the aux. inputs and run the remote close to the shifter. Its mounted on the passenger side dashboard using velcro. Its no professional job but hey I love having 20 GB of music at my fingertips. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have a 40GB Creative Jukebox plugged into the Aux on my stereo. Yes, it is a definite shame and gross oversight that Apple didn't add a line out to the iPod. :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Julio H, thank you for posting that link!!!!!!! I had JUST ordered a 40GB model when I saw your post and QUICKLY cancelled my order.

I was wondering if I really should have cancelled due to a rumor, but after seeing Peter Kim's link, I am glad I cancelled the order.

I'll be getting my hands on that 50GB one and having installed in my car. I'll try to update everyone when it happens.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
As already has been said, the ipod DOES have a line out!! Whoever says it doesn't is smoking crack.

You need either the Sendstation PocketDock or the Sik Din. Or, if you really want to mod your car, you can use the standard cradle and incorporate that into your car.

I've got the Din and it's wonderful! Just hooked up to my Aux port on my Kenwood headunit and now I can listen to unadulterated music from my ipod.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Leila, are you saying that if I buy an iPod, I can take my mini plug audio cable (where one end is already plugged into my car stereo) and plug it directly into the iPod without additional hardware???

p.s. I don't want to buy 3rd party products to get a mini plug/line out port. There should be no reason to do so.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

If you have to purchase a 3rd party device to get line-out, then that would mean the iPod does NOT have a line-out.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I have been holding out on getting an iPod also, but this new 20gb version for $299 has me sold.

+ this iPodyourBMW adapter works on the MINI as well so looking forward to adding this in (however I hear the adapter already has a long wait at dealers)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Well considering the ipod comes with a dock already, you don't have to purchase anything additional if you don't want to.

But just because the lineout isn't a miniplug doesn't mean it isn't a lineout, either. The cable I had to buy to connect a cable to the aux port of my headunit had RCA plugs. I could complain that I had to purchase a "3rd party" RCA to miniplug adapter, right? Because after all, there's no RCA jacks on the ipod or any other MP3 player I know of.

I guess if you don't like the dock connector then don't buy an ipod. But to say that it's an oversight is quite misleading. It's intentional and it allows you to do more things with the ipod, in a far more convenient manner, than many other MP3 player.

But to each his own. The ipod is not for you then.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If you get the Apple iPod Dock, that has line out. That's not 3rd party, but it is a separate gizmo, which is bundled with certain models. Remote control and headphones are separate too. While the iPod obviously has the necessary pins, I suppose Apple figured most people wouldn't use line out, so they didn't add a second jack (confusing, bulky). If a 3rd party decides to use the same pins to provide line out in a different form factor, that's a good thing.

So it's not "built-in", but certainly that's different than say an old cassette Walkman, which has no line out capability at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks