What's new

iPod your BMW (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
What you have found is a bunch of subjective opinions, comparing things that all sound good. When someone writes "the iPod doesn't sound as good or as loud as X, period" it's, of course, nothing but an opinion.

Of course, that particular statement is interesting, because people often describe something as "sounding better" if it "sounds louder."

And this statement...

...is nonsense. My opinion.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
In both quotes, the reviewier makes a distinction between 'loud' and 'clear'.

Also, a professional reviewer's opinion, particularly one who focuses on the audio realm, is no more accurate than your average joe? That their audio quality testing is based solely on subjective as opposed to metrics, especially in a comparative review?

Mind you, as a long-time & current Mac user, I'd love to own an iPod. However, in my qwest for an expensive hdd player, I'd like to establish as many hard baselines as possible. One of which is a 16 hour battery life for the iRiver vs. the improved 12 hours for the 4g iPod (and the reported real-life 6 hours of the 3g).

But I just cannot dismiss my subjective preference for the iPods gleaming lucite white and chrome finish. ;)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Hmmmmm. I have never experienced this. I'm getting a typical life of 8-9 hours from a full charge using my G3 15GB.

The good news is that these are all great DAPs. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide. If you want a great place for iPod info, head over to www.ipodlounge.com. If you want a good site for info on all DAPs, www.dapreview.com is a resource. I really think HTF needs a separate area for these discussions (DAPs, software, encoding, etc.).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

I don't know where you saw that rumor, but I wouldn't believe a word of it:
1) The next step up will be 60GB, not 50 and an Apple VP was quoted today that it isn't coming out anytime soon, so it might be many months.

2) Steve Jobs has repeatedly and explicitly pooh-poohed the VideoPod idea. If you want to get an iPod anytime soon, I'd recommend getting a 4th generation 40GB iPod (the $399 model that just came out).

Ted

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since the above article says that the 4th generation models would be 50GB's, possibly there won't be any 50-60GB coming out anytime soon. Maybe they were planning the 4th gen. to be a 50GB and scraped the idea? Oh well, at least I cancelled the order in time to save myself $100. Maybe I'll re order now that they're cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks