-

Photo
- - - - -

Fun with Bartlett: A Quotation Tournament

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 05:14 AM

A tournament of quotations.

I don't care whom you quote, and fictional persons (even HTFers) are eligible. Specific quotes preferable, but attributed and apocryphal quotes are OK unless someone balks and provides a good argument against (not that something like that would ever happen around here Posted Image).

Everyone gets 2 automatics to start.

It's the movies that have really been running things in America ever since they were invented. They show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, how to feel about it, and how to look how you feel about it. (Andy Warhol)

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical. (Yogi Berra)

Edith Head Gives Great Wardrobe (written on a bathroom wall at Paramount Studios). (Billy Wilder)

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. (JFK)

I do not fear failure. I only fear the 'slowing up' of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?' (Gen. George S. Patton)

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. (Isaac Asimov)

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

Its always something! (Rosana Rosana Danna)

I have a dream... (MLK)

Secret thoughts and open countenance will go safely over the whole world. (Scipione Alberti)

When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half. (Gracie Allen)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. (Tolkien)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. (Lennon & McCartney)

Non-violence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed. (Gandhi)

Film lovers are sick people. (Francois Truffaut)

She was a blonde: a blonde to make a Bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window. (Raymond Chandler)

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it does not. (Thomas Berger)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. (Einstein)

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. (Archimedes)

#2 of 12 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 05:57 AM

Edith Head Gives Great Wardrobe (written on a bathroom wall at Paramount Studios, related by Billy Wilder)

Most of the best ones I have, I can't use, since they're political. But I'll try to think of another one.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 12 Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 06:26 AM

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."-John F. Kennedy

"I do not fear failure. I only fear the 'slowing up' of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'" -General George S. Patton
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#4 of 12 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 03:39 PM

Cool idea!

Hmmm....

If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?
- Steven Wright
(good question, but no)

It's clobberin' time!
- The Thing
(too silly)

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
(a possibility, maybe I'll shoehorn it in later)

No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up.
- Lily Tomlin
(too cynical)

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
- Albert Camus
(I agree, but this is probably too controversial)

War is all hell.
- William Tecumseh Sherman
(good call, but too obvious)

Ah!

My autos:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
- Isaac Asimov

(It's true and it's topical. Ahem.)

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

(A classic!)

#5 of 12 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 03:07 AM

Its always something!—Rosana Rosana Danna

I have a dream—Martin Luther King
¡Time is not my master!

#6 of 12 Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:26 AM

Secret thoughts and open countenance will go safely over the whole world.
Scipione Alberti

When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
Gracie Allen

I don’t understand the rules, new to the polls and games area. Two only!? And who wins how? Bartlett only or anything goes. I never could really choose a favorite anything that’s like picking one best star from the firmament. (I’d much prefer to add new ones according to the mood of the day) You might have to choose for me. Posted Image

I best not understand the rules, then I have a decent excuse when I break them.

You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#7 of 12 Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:37 AM

Miguel de Cervantes: I’m a poet.
The Duke: They’re putting people in prison for that?
Miguel de Cervantes: No, no,no not for that
The Duke: Too bad.

Man of La Mancha

You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#8 of 12 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
Two only!? And who wins how? Bartlett only or anything goes.

For the time being, every participant can choose 2 quotes, from any source, which will automatically become entrants in a tournament. Quotes will be matched-up in pairs in a "tournament" or bracketed arrangement and voted on until we have one quote standing.

I'm going to place the first 2 quotes you listed in the tournament. I'll probably give folks an opportunity to choose more at some point.

#9 of 12 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,490 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 12 2004 - 07:27 AM

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon & Paul McCartney

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#10 of 12 Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 03:27 PM

"Non-violence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Film lovers are sick people". - Francois Truffaut

#11 of 12 Holden Pike

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 10:38 PM

"She was a blonde: a blonde to make a Bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window."
- Raymond Chandler

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it does not."
- Thomas Berger
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to film is more film...."
- Frank Capra

#12 of 12 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 07:08 AM

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
-Albert Einstein (i used this as my high school yearbook quote)

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and i shall move the world"
-Archimedes

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!