What's new

Directors Fun with Bartlett: A Quotation Tournament (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
A tournament of quotations.

I don't care whom you quote, and fictional persons (even HTFers) are eligible. Specific quotes preferable, but attributed and apocryphal quotes are OK unless someone balks and provides a good argument against (not that something like that would ever happen around here :D).

Everyone gets 2 automatics to start.

It's the movies that have really been running things in America ever since they were invented. They show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, how to feel about it, and how to look how you feel about it. (Andy Warhol)

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical. (Yogi Berra)

Edith Head Gives Great Wardrobe (written on a bathroom wall at Paramount Studios). (Billy Wilder)

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. (JFK)

I do not fear failure. I only fear the 'slowing up' of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?' (Gen. George S. Patton)

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. (Isaac Asimov)

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

Its always something! (Rosana Rosana Danna)

I have a dream... (MLK)

Secret thoughts and open countenance will go safely over the whole world. (Scipione Alberti)

When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half. (Gracie Allen)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. (Tolkien)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. (Lennon & McCartney)

Non-violence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed. (Gandhi)

Film lovers are sick people. (Francois Truffaut)

She was a blonde: a blonde to make a Bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window. (Raymond Chandler)

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it does not. (Thomas Berger)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. (Einstein)

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. (Archimedes)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Edith Head Gives Great Wardrobe (written on a bathroom wall at Paramount Studios, related by Billy Wilder)

Most of the best ones I have, I can't use, since they're political. But I'll try to think of another one.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."-John F. Kennedy

"I do not fear failure. I only fear the 'slowing up' of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'" -General George S. Patton

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Cool idea!

Hmmm....

If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?
- Steven Wright
(good question, but no)

It's clobberin' time!
- The Thing
(too silly)

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
(a possibility, maybe I'll shoehorn it in later)

No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up.
- Lily Tomlin
(too cynical)

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
- Albert Camus
(I agree, but this is probably too controversial)

War is all hell.
- William Tecumseh Sherman
(good call, but too obvious)

Ah!

My autos:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
- Isaac Asimov

(It's true and it's topical. Ahem.)

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

(A classic!)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Secret thoughts and open countenance will go safely over the whole world.
Scipione Alberti

When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
Gracie Allen

I don’t understand the rules, new to the polls and games area. Two only!? And who wins how? Bartlett only or anything goes. I never could really choose a favorite anything that’s like picking one best star from the firmament. (I’d much prefer to add new ones according to the mood of the day) You might have to choose for me. :)

I best not understand the rules, then I have a decent excuse when I break them.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Miguel de Cervantes: I’m a poet.
The Duke: They’re putting people in prison for that?
Miguel de Cervantes: No, no,no not for that
The Duke: Too bad.

Man of La Mancha

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

For the time being, every participant can choose 2 quotes, from any source, which will automatically become entrants in a tournament. Quotes will be matched-up in pairs in a "tournament" or bracketed arrangement and voted on until we have one quote standing.

I'm going to place the first 2 quotes you listed in the tournament. I'll probably give folks an opportunity to choose more at some point.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon & Paul McCartney

Arman

Screenwriter
"Non-violence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Film lovers are sick people". - Francois Truffaut

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
"She was a blonde: a blonde to make a Bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window."
- Raymond Chandler

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it does not."
- Thomas Berger

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
-Albert Einstein (i used this as my high school yearbook quote)

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and i shall move the world"
-Archimedes

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks