Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Good DVD to test new 5.1 setup?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:04 AM

Just got my second home theater setup, a Pioneer HTD-330DV home theater in the box. Just wondering what a good movie would be to really put the setup through the paces. Thanks
Pioneer HTD-330DV
MTX SW2 12"

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   BrionL

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:12 AM

Saving Private Ryan in DTS if you can find it.

Some others are any of the Lord of the Rings movies and Star Wars Episode 1 or 2. I'll let others chime in now.

Brion

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:13 AM

Ok cool... I havent actually seen ANY of the Lord of the Rings movies, and was thinking about renting them actually.
Pioneer HTD-330DV
MTX SW2 12"

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   BrionL

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:17 AM

If you can rent the extended editions of the movies. (Return of the King hasn't been released as an extended edition yet). The movies are much better plus there is a DTS ES soundtrack on them.

Brion

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:20 AM

Hmm ok this is probably not the place for this, i will do a search but i might as well ask anyway. My System is supposedly able to play DTS... what makes that better than dolby digital 5.1? Yes i am somewhat of a home theater n00b Posted Image
Pioneer HTD-330DV
MTX SW2 12"

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   BrionL

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:23 AM

In my opinion and a lot of others, dts sounds better than Dolby Digital. Of course this is a matter of what sounds better to you.

Brion

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 04:43 AM

LOTR is an excellent choice, but also try a movie you're already familiar with in 5.1/DTS - you're far more likely to notice the sudden broadening of the soundfield.

Regarding 5.1 versus DTS, it's a matter of opinion. A lot of the Brit professional reviewers favour 5.1, a lot of US reviewers DTS. To some extent it depends on how your system is set up (e.g. on my Sony set-up the DTS sounds a lot better, but on other systems I've heard, the difference is less). However, ultimately it's what you like that matters, and if you honestly prefer one above the other, then that's what's right for you.

If you're multiregional, then try Hero (R3). There's an amazing difference between the 5.1 and DTS versions. The DTS is very much to the fore with clashing swords, etc, whilst the 5.1 is far more of an ambient experience, with loud transients softened. Try the scene in the rainy courtyard in particular for a fascinating illustation of how different but equally good two sound mixes can be.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 04:57 AM

I actually thought that "Rundown" had ALOT of good bass
in it.....

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Dom

Dom

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 07:25 AM

Rent or buy or perhaps you own Star Wars Episode I, watch the Pod Race Scene. This will give you a very good sample of 5.1 sound.

Also, another good, if underated DVD is Amelie for 5.1 sound. The dialogue, music in 5.1 is excellent.

One more, the battle scenes in Master and Commander, will really test your bass.

Try all three and basically decide for yourself what sounds good or bad and adjust.

Cheers

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Shaun

Shaun

Second Unit

• 317 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 08:52 AM

The 2 DVDs that I always recommend are Daredevil and X2. Excellent surround sound and bass.
Shawn Siref
---------------------------------------------------
Equipment:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-73733 73-Inch Widescreen HDTV
Receiver: Denon AVR-2805 DD-EX/DTS-ES 7.1DVD Player: Denon DVD-2200HD DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A35Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD55Speakers: Klipsch Reference SeriesSubwoofe...

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 06 2004 - 09:06 AM

If you want to test directional sound from an older film, use Around the World in 80 Days (1956 version). The sound rivals modern 5.1 tracks in a lot of scenes. Some of the sound seems like it was recorded recently.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 09:07 AM

Video Essentials "walk around the room with voice" or Dragonheart which has Draco's voice circling around the room a couple of times. These are good demos to test the timbre matching of your surround speakers with your front 3.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 09:23 AM

as often as it comes up, we really should make a sticky for this question. Posted Image

dvd etc poll

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 10:43 AM

I realize that this may be considered blasphemy, but here's another forum list of reference DVDs, most of which contain great examples of surround sound .. AVSforum. However, this list contains video and audio reference disks, so be forewarned.

Some of my favorites are:

Super Speedway(aside from too much soundtrack, excellent seperation and surround usage/deep bass) - be careful with your speakers on this one.

Master and Commander (surrounds for ambience and dimensional presence/deep bass) - be careful with your speakers on this one.

Blood: The Last Vampire (opening scene says it all!)

Black Hawk Down (surrounds for ambience and dimensional presence/deep bass) - be careful with your speakers on this one.

Blade II (surrounds for ambience and dimensional presence/deep bass)

<>

Metropolis - Tezuka's anime. (excellent jazz soundtrack, surrounds)

Hero (surrounds/deep bass)

Billgo - true point. With HTBs, deep bass probably won't be a concern for blowing speakers, but for others ... quite possible.

A few others come to mind, but these will get you going for sure ...

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 11:01 AM

Quote:
Rent or buy or perhaps you own Star Wars Episode I, watch the Pod Race Scene. This will give you a very good sample of 5.1 sound.

I completely agree with this, and this was what I used when I first wanted to test my system.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   BillGo

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 11:12 AM

My vote is for Gladiator. This is an example of one of the best sound designs available on DVD. The opening battle sequence is awesome.

The opening scene on The Matrix is also excellent as is the first battle on Master and Commander.

I only fear that any "Home Theater in a box" is not going to do real justice to these powerful and dynamic sound tracks.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Allan^L

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 11:15 AM

I read somewhere that it was a good idea to play a "quiet" DVD (like a TV show or a romantic comedy) when you first set up your HT and let the speakers settle down before you lay down the sonic assault. Anyone else hear this?

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 12:38 PM

I use Undercover Brother to test HT set-ups. Play the DTS audio and this DVD sounds awesome, believe it or not.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Ive just been watching TV with my home theater the last two days, to let it break in. I rented Master and Commander and DareDevil which i will watch tomorrow to really test out the setup.
Pioneer HTD-330DV
MTX SW2 12"

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:33 PM

Another vote for the Phantom Menace-the pod race and the duel scenes sound awesome.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot