Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Monk" s1 (R1) audio problems?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Holden Pike

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:40 PM

Picked up the "Monk" season one DVD set today, and the first thing I popped in was disc four with the special features. Sadly, I seem to be experiencing some sort of audio problem: the music track on the special features is at normal levels, while the other tracks are barely audible, even with the volume cranked. I have two DVD players, a Pioneer DVL-909 and a Sampo DVE-612. The audio defect was the same on both machines.

I took the discs back to the retailer where I bought 'em and exchanged for another set, but I have the same problem with this disc four as well.

I've gone through most of the episodes, including those on the fourth disc, and I haven't found any similar problems: it appears to only be the special features section.

Has anybody else experienced this, or is it just me?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to film is more film...."
- Frank Capra

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Phil_La

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:28 PM

I just tested all of the special features, and the audio sounds fine on my players. I used:
JVC XV-SA600 DVD player, HK AVR 230 receiver
computer Lite-on DVD player, PowerDVD software

My set came from Amazon.com, by the way. I don't know what to tell you Posted Image

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Holden Pike

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 05:10 PM

Drat. I'm probably just cursed.

Thanks for checking!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to film is more film...."
- Frank Capra

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,501 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 05:15 PM

The special features definitely have an audio mastering problem. The audio is mastered in matrixed Dolby 2.0, but the center and surrounds are reversed. The only way I was able to hear it properly (on my Lexicon MC-1) was to select the 2-channel mode, otherwise the dialog came only through the rears. I initially watched the set on my bedroom system, which is set to 2-channel default, so I didn't notice the problem.

I wonder if Universal will fix the problem and offer replacements. There are obviously going to be people out there unable to find the solution to listen to it without problems.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:28 AM

I read about the problem in a review recently, so it appears not to be an isolated case.

I haven't gotten to the special features, yet - and probably won't for awhile - but I fully expect the same problem. I find that this is a common error on special features. Transferring this stuff to disc must be relegated to The New Guy...

As Matt said, usually tinkering with the settings on your receiver / surround processor can make it listenable... or swapping L & R analog cables...

-Scott

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Holden Pike

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:40 PM

Picked up the "Monk" season one DVD set today, and the first thing I popped in was disc four with the special features. Sadly, I seem to be experiencing some sort of audio problem: the music track on the special features is at normal levels, while the other tracks are barely audible, even with the volume cranked. I have two DVD players, a Pioneer DVL-909 and a Sampo DVE-612. The audio defect was the same on both machines.

I took the discs back to the retailer where I bought 'em and exchanged for another set, but I have the same problem with this disc four as well.

I've gone through most of the episodes, including those on the fourth disc, and I haven't found any similar problems: it appears to only be the special features section.

Has anybody else experienced this, or is it just me?
- Frank Capra

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Phil_La

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:28 PM

I just tested all of the special features, and the audio sounds fine on my players. I used:
JVC XV-SA600 DVD player, HK AVR 230 receiver
computer Lite-on DVD player, PowerDVD software

My set came from Amazon.com, by the way. I don't know what to tell you Posted Image

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Holden Pike

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 05:10 PM

Drat. I'm probably just cursed.

Thanks for checking!
- Frank Capra

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,501 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 05:15 PM

The special features definitely have an audio mastering problem. The audio is mastered in matrixed Dolby 2.0, but the center and surrounds are reversed. The only way I was able to hear it properly (on my Lexicon MC-1) was to select the 2-channel mode, otherwise the dialog came only through the rears. I initially watched the set on my bedroom system, which is set to 2-channel default, so I didn't notice the problem.

I wonder if Universal will fix the problem and offer replacements. There are obviously going to be people out there unable to find the solution to listen to it without problems.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:28 AM

I read about the problem in a review recently, so it appears not to be an isolated case.

I haven't gotten to the special features, yet - and probably won't for awhile - but I fully expect the same problem. I find that this is a common error on special features. Transferring this stuff to disc must be relegated to The New Guy...

As Matt said, usually tinkering with the settings on your receiver / surround processor can make it listenable... or swapping L & R analog cables...

-Scott

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 05 2004 - 10:48 PM

The upcoming R2 release seems to be devoid of the special features, so I'm thinking of going for the US. Did Universal sort this problem out, or am I likely to get one with audio problems ?
I've been going to bed early . . .

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted December 06 2004 - 09:29 AM

The R2 is the same as the R1.

Its been reviewed in one of the uk dvd mags and it does have the same extras as the R1.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 06 2004 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Stephen. TOTAL FILM said it had no extras, and none of the websites list any either - hence my confusion. I wonder whether they've sorted the audio problems for the R2 ?

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted December 06 2004 - 11:51 PM

http://www.sendit.co...m/7000000096169

I think I will get the R2 just to avoid customs.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 07 2004 - 12:19 AM

Cheaper here, Stephen :

http://www.choicesdi....uctGuid=668825

Posted Image

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 04:36 AM

I know. I was posting that links as it had the extras listed. You said you could not find them on any site.

Oh and

http://www.dvdpopcor....roductID=53266

This is the cheapest for the R2.

£18.75

Posted Image

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 07 2004 - 05:25 AM

Good man.Posted Image How are DVD Popcorn ? Never used them.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 06:03 AM

Excellent company.

Iv never had a problem with them.