Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2004 Off-Season NBA Trades and Draft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
344 replies to this topic

#1 of 345 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:38 AM

As Chris Farmer suggested in the 2003–2004 NBA thread, with the finals being over, it is time to move on. Therefore I’m starting a thread to discuss off-season moves, both players and coaches, as well as the upcoming draft.

I’ll start by passing along the well-known (by now rumor) of O’Neal coming to Dallas. It is no particular secret that he has said publicly that he wants to be traded, and with his salary only a few teams will be able to put together a package that will both meet the terms of the collective bargaining agreement and be acceptable to the Lakers.

The Mavs would no doubt have to trade Dirk, plus perhaps another star and an up-and-comer like Howard to put together an attractive package. Although Mark Cuban is definitely a deal maker who wants to make a move, I think that LA will trade Shaqto the East. Any opinions?
¡Time is not my master!

#2 of 345 Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:48 AM

The big news is that McGrady and Shaq are BOTH trying to wind up in Dallas TOGETHER.

How they'll work THAT out, I don't know.

#3 of 345 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:56 AM

As the old song goes...
money, money, money, money...money!
And ol' Mark Cuban's got a lot of it. Posted Image

#4 of 345 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:38 AM

As Chris Farmer suggested in the 2003–2004 NBA thread, with the finals being over, it is time to move on. Therefore I’m starting a thread to discuss off-season moves, both players and coaches, as well as the upcoming draft.

I’ll start by passing along the well-known (by now rumor) of O’Neal coming to Dallas. It is no particular secret that he has said publicly that he wants to be traded, and with his salary only a few teams will be able to put together a package that will both meet the terms of the collective bargaining agreement and be acceptable to the Lakers.

The Mavs would no doubt have to trade Dirk, plus perhaps another star and an up-and-comer like Howard to put together an attractive package. Although Mark Cuban is definitely a deal maker who wants to make a move, I think that LA will trade Shaqto the East. Any opinions?
¡Time is not my master!

#5 of 345 Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:48 AM

The big news is that McGrady and Shaq are BOTH trying to wind up in Dallas TOGETHER.

How they'll work THAT out, I don't know.

#6 of 345 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:56 AM

As the old song goes...
money, money, money, money...money!
And ol' Mark Cuban's got a lot of it. Posted Image

#7 of 345 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:15 AM

I do not see how the Lakers can rade Shaq with his current salary. Any team dealing for him would have to dump most of their roster to fit him under the cap. Considering that he's on the downside of his career, that team would probably not be a contender until Shaq was ready to retire. What's the point?

If O'Neal would agree to renegotiate his contract, I could see this working. However, I doubt that Shaq would do that. I think that there's a much better chance of seeing Orlando deal McGrady than O'Neal leaving LA.

In Detroit, all offseason moves revolve around their ability to resign Rasheed. If they resign him, then Okur probably leaves. If Wallace leaves, then Okur probably stays. Joe Dumars is also trying to convince former draft pick and current European player Carlos Delfino that Larry Brown does not hate European players so he'll play in Detroit next season. Delfino is a 6'7" swingman and would backup both Hamilton and Prince.

#8 of 345 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Any team dealing for him would have to dump most of their roster to fit him under the cap.

The Dallas Morning News had an article in their Sunday sports section that set out 5 possible deals between the two clubs. IIRC most of them involved Dirk—in fact, perhaps all of them. All of these would have met the salary requirements.

And there is always the possibility of a three team trade.

Quote:
If O'Neal would agree to renegotiate his contract, I could see this working.
If I understand how this works, Shaq can’t do that this year. Next year yes, but not this year.
¡Time is not my master!

#9 of 345 BrandonM

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
If O'Neal would agree to renegotiate his contract, I could see this working. However, I doubt that Shaq would do that. I think that there's a much better chance of seeing Orlando deal McGrady than O'Neal leaving LA.

You can't renegotiate contracts in the NBA.
My DVD Collection

#10 of 345 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 21 2004 - 07:48 AM

Quote:
You can't renegotiate contracts in the NBA.

In that case, I predict that Shaq is still in LA next season.

#11 of 345 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:25 AM

There are reports (from ESPN and others) that a McGrady to Houston deal (probably for Francis, Mobley & Cato) is close. As a Rockets fan, I'd love to get T-Mac, but I think that may be too much to give up.

It also seems that Rudy T. is the leading candidate to replace Phil Jackson in LA.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 345 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
It also seems that Rudy T. is the leading candidate to replace Phil Jackson in LA.

I heard that also—this could prove to be interesting, as Rudy has some pretty well known views on playing hard and making excuses.
¡Time is not my master!

#13 of 345 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 09:06 AM

I'd love it if Rudy were the next Lakers coach. When all is said and done, I don't believe that Shaq will be out of Los Angeles. This team does need to go a different way though.

#14 of 345 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
I think that there's a much better chance of seeing Orlando deal McGrady than O'Neal leaving LA.
Orlando dealing McGrady is just about a certainty at this point. McGrady has made it known he is not happy in Orlando and will opt out to become a free agent next year. The Magic don't want a repeat of the Shaq situation where they lost a marquee player and got nothing in return. He's gone, and Houston is looking like his most probable destination right now (although Indiana & Phoenix are also in the mix).

#15 of 345 Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 01:13 PM

It's Kobe's team now, if he wants it, so that means that Shaq is gone, probably to Dallas (but somehow Nowitzki, Jamison and Howard seem to me to be the foundation for the Lakericks - no D in them either), but New Jersey is another team that might bite (they'd have to do a Kenyon Martin, Kittles, Jefferson package). I think some team is going to overpay to get the Diesel. Hopefully, Kupchak will wait a while to see who gives up the most talent.

#16 of 345 Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 02:31 PM

Given what he's making and the new contract limitations under the collecting bargaining agreement, I can guarantee that whoever gets Shaq will overpay to get him. The man is going to make almost $30 million next season, that's a full 2/3 of the salary cap for one player alone. Shaq wants out, but I'm not sure if he leaves, just because it will cost so much to get him.

As for the coach, to be honest I don't know much about Rudy's stance on the work ethics of his players, but what LA needs is a Larry Brown or Greg Popovich style coach on discipline. The first thing that coach needs to do is kick some ass as far as discipline on that team goes, and get some honest to God teamwork going. Bryant, especially, needs someone who will ride his ass like there's no tomorrow, and see if his selfishness can be broken. If that's what Rudy brings to the table, then the Lakers need him and need him yesterday. As good a coach as Jackson is, and there aren't many in the history of the NBA better, he definitely let them hang to long to try to work things out for themselves. That's a mistake their new coach can't afford to make.

#17 of 345 Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 02:40 PM

I agree with Chris, Phil ran out of gas with the Lakers. He is as far from an in-your-face disciplinarian as you can get, which is why Shaq loves him and Kobe grew tired of him. I know Rockets fans can educate us further on this, but to me, Rudy seems more like Phil than either Brown or Pop. On the Rocket tip, this T-Mac to Houston idea is interesting. Could be that Houston has the makings of a potential Shaq-Kobe pairing, but if they get rid of Francis, Mobley and Cato, they're looking awfully thin elsewhere.

#18 of 345 Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 03:08 PM

well, nevermind my last bit of news:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1825839

Unless Charlotte picks up some people on either Houston or Orlando's unprotected lists--McGrady is going to Houston for Franchise, Mobley and Cato.

#19 of 345 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 03:40 PM

A senior sporting news writer was on I, Max today and basically said that if Rudy T became coach of the Lakers that Kobe would eat him for lunch.

The writer also said that Kobe was a selfish player, a baby, not a team guy, an ego maniac, and it was Kobe's attitude that wore Phil Jackson out. I also read an article on ESPN.com today that basically said that people way high up in the Laker organization convinced Shaq to be the bigger man and just ignore Kobe's insults...do the coorperate thing basically.

I'm a Laker fan, and if Kobe is the one left on this team, I may hate the best player on my favorite team which is odd for me.

#20 of 345 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
I know Rockets fans can educate us further on this, but to me, Rudy seems more like Phil than either Brown or Pop.
The rep Rudy T always had in Houston was that he is a player's coach. Guys generally love playing for him, and he demonstrated a knack for taming raging egos and helping them get along. It's often forgotten that 2 years prior to Houston's first title, Dream was THIS close to forcing a trade out of Houston. He was frustrated that the team wasn't going anywhere (sound familiar, T-Mac??). But the problem was that he was trying to do everything himself. When Rudy took over the team in the middle of the 92-93 season, he convinced Olajuwon to trust his teammates. The result was a much deeper trip into the 93 playoffs than was expected, then a 15-game winning streak to kick off the 93 season, and finally 2 titles.

Rudy's style worked for veterans, but younger players often need more of a taskmaster, and that's the conventional wisdom as to why a promising young Rockets squad underperformed during his final 3 years with the team.

So it's my guess that the Lakers are looking at Rudy to bring his peacemaking skills to the L.A. soap opera. If Kobe is indeed the person that Casey describes, and a disciplinarian is what is needed, well, Rudy is NOT a good match. Of course, if Kobe IS the baby described above, it increases the likelihood that he's guilty of the crime he's charged with, in which case I hope the only hoops he'll be playing will be in a prison yard.

As a Rockets fan of almost a quarter-century, the thought of Rudy T going to LA is a little hard to get used to. If it happens, we'll wish him all the luck in the world - at least for 78 of the 82 games. Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow