2004 Off-Season NBA Trades and Draft

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lew Crippen, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

As Chris Farmer suggested in the 2003–2004 NBA thread, with the finals being over, it is time to move on. Therefore I’m starting a thread to discuss off-season moves, both players and coaches, as well as the upcoming draft.

I’ll start by passing along the well-known (by now rumor) of O’Neal coming to Dallas. It is no particular secret that he has said publicly that he wants to be traded, and with his salary only a few teams will be able to put together a package that will both meet the terms of the collective bargaining agreement and be acceptable to the Lakers.

The Mavs would no doubt have to trade Dirk, plus perhaps another star and an up-and-comer like Howard to put together an attractive package. Although Mark Cuban is definitely a deal maker who wants to make a move, I think that LA will trade Shaqto the East. Any opinions?

2. Lew Crippen

As Chris Farmer suggested in the 2003–2004 NBA thread, with the finals being over, it is time to move on. Therefore I’m starting a thread to discuss off-season moves, both players and coaches, as well as the upcoming draft.

I’ll start by passing along the well-known (by now rumor) of O’Neal coming to Dallas. It is no particular secret that he has said publicly that he wants to be traded, and with his salary only a few teams will be able to put together a package that will both meet the terms of the collective bargaining agreement and be acceptable to the Lakers.

The Mavs would no doubt have to trade Dirk, plus perhaps another star and an up-and-comer like Howard to put together an attractive package. Although Mark Cuban is definitely a deal maker who wants to make a move, I think that LA will trade Shaqto the East. Any opinions?

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

The big news is that McGrady and Shaq are BOTH trying to wind up in Dallas TOGETHER.

How they'll work THAT out, I don't know.

4. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

The big news is that McGrady and Shaq are BOTH trying to wind up in Dallas TOGETHER.

How they'll work THAT out, I don't know.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

As the old song goes...
    money, money, money, money...money!
    And ol' Mark Cuban's got a lot of it. [​IMG]

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

As the old song goes...
    money, money, money, money...money!
    And ol' Mark Cuban's got a lot of it. [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I do not see how the Lakers can rade Shaq with his current salary. Any team dealing for him would have to dump most of their roster to fit him under the cap. Considering that he's on the downside of his career, that team would probably not be a contender until Shaq was ready to retire. What's the point?

If O'Neal would agree to renegotiate his contract, I could see this working. However, I doubt that Shaq would do that. I think that there's a much better chance of seeing Orlando deal McGrady than O'Neal leaving LA.

In Detroit, all offseason moves revolve around their ability to resign Rasheed. If they resign him, then Okur probably leaves. If Wallace leaves, then Okur probably stays. Joe Dumars is also trying to convince former draft pick and current European player Carlos Delfino that Larry Brown does not hate European players so he'll play in Detroit next season. Delfino is a 6'7" swingman and would backup both Hamilton and Prince.

8. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

I do not see how the Lakers can rade Shaq with his current salary. Any team dealing for him would have to dump most of their roster to fit him under the cap. Considering that he's on the downside of his career, that team would probably not be a contender until Shaq was ready to retire. What's the point?

If O'Neal would agree to renegotiate his contract, I could see this working. However, I doubt that Shaq would do that. I think that there's a much better chance of seeing Orlando deal McGrady than O'Neal leaving LA.

In Detroit, all offseason moves revolve around their ability to resign Rasheed. If they resign him, then Okur probably leaves. If Wallace leaves, then Okur probably stays. Joe Dumars is also trying to convince former draft pick and current European player Carlos Delfino that Larry Brown does not hate European players so he'll play in Detroit next season. Delfino is a 6'7" swingman and would backup both Hamilton and Prince.

9. Lew Crippen

If I understand how this works, Shaq can’t do that this year. Next year yes, but not this year.

10. Lew Crippen

If I understand how this works, Shaq can’t do that this year. Next year yes, but not this year.

11. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

You can't renegotiate contracts in the NBA.

12. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

You can't renegotiate contracts in the NBA.

13. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

In that case, I predict that Shaq is still in LA next season.

14. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

In that case, I predict that Shaq is still in LA next season.

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    There are reports (from ESPN and others) that a McGrady to Houston deal (probably for Francis, Mobley & Cato) is close. As a Rockets fan, I'd love to get T-Mac, but I think that may be too much to give up.

It also seems that Rudy T. is the leading candidate to replace Phil Jackson in LA.

16. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    There are reports (from ESPN and others) that a McGrady to Houston deal (probably for Francis, Mobley & Cato) is close. As a Rockets fan, I'd love to get T-Mac, but I think that may be too much to give up.

It also seems that Rudy T. is the leading candidate to replace Phil Jackson in LA.

17. Lew Crippen

I heard that also—this could prove to be interesting, as Rudy has some pretty well known views on playing hard and making excuses.

18. Lew Crippen

I heard that also—this could prove to be interesting, as Rudy has some pretty well known views on playing hard and making excuses.

19. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'd love it if Rudy were the next Lakers coach. When all is said and done, I don't believe that Shaq will be out of Los Angeles. This team does need to go a different way though.

20. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'd love it if Rudy were the next Lakers coach. When all is said and done, I don't believe that Shaq will be out of Los Angeles. This team does need to go a different way though.