Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So did anyone watch the MTV Movie Awards?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,575 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 01:16 AM

I know, I know...but every once in a while there's something funny on it.

At any rate, this year's show was pretty pathetic, even by MTV standards. There were a few moments that were kind of funny, but most of it was just...well, desperately trying to be funny. And even not trying, at times.

I thought the Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughan/Peter Jackson bit at the beginning was amusing for a minute, but it got old very quickly. The 3-way calling bit with Lindsay Lohan was kind of funny, and I liked the Kill Bill trailer parody. But that was about it.

It was nice that Return of the King won Best Movie and Best Action Sequence, but...Michael Moore. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image What in the hell was that?! Was this supposed to be funny? I usually try to cut Moore a little slack, but that was ridiculous.

I know it's not exactly news that the MTV Movie Awards don't mean anything (that was the point from the beginning, actually), but the show usually turns out to be somewhat entertaining, at least. Even though a lot of the jokes fall flat, there have been some pretty hilarious moments before. This year's show was just lame, even compared to previous years.

And that's pretty bad.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,138 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted June 11 2004 - 02:32 AM

Not that it saved the show or anything, but Jimmy Fallon offering himself as evidence that white people can dance was pretty funny, as was Sean William Scott's subsequent unblinkingly ironic acceptance speech for best dance sequence. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,175 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 03:55 AM

I couldn't watch it because the sound mix was so dreadful. Instead of using the actual microphones on stage, it seems they used on microphone out in the middle of the auditorium to capture all of the sound, making for this horrible echo. Top that off with MTV's insistence on using some faux 'surround' added to the stereo and I couldn't understand one thing anyone said.

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 04:07 AM

I did not see the show but I checked out who the winners. It actually seemed as if there were some good choices this year instead of the Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey virtual automatic wins.
What happened with Michael Moore?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,776 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 05:04 AM

I liked the Ron Burgendy bits, the opening with Peter Jackson, and the Beastie Boys. Other than that, a total bore. I still have the 95 movie awards on tape, now that was a show.

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 05:19 AM

I forgot it was on, but I think the MTV Movie Awards stopped being fun years ago (at least for me).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 05:53 AM

Luckily for me I TiVo'd it. So I can skip to the 2 semi-funny moments everyone is talking about. Posted Image
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 06:13 AM

It was kind of perversely satisfying to see the Lyndsey Lohan juggernaut slowed a bit by some of the most God awful dancing I've ever seen. It was like Elaine Bennis cameoing in a Christina Aguilera video.

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Doug R

Doug R

Supporting Actor

• 787 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 06:41 AM

Definitely the worst MTV movie awards ever. Probably won't watch again. None of the bits were funny. The canned banter was even worse than usual. And the shameless plug by Moore was vomit-inducing.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Daniel`D

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 07:37 AM

I'm a fan of Lindsay Lohan so most of her stuff I liked. The LOTR bit was funny but dragged on far too long. But the part I liked best were the intro for each award, like for Breakthrough Female they had the deadbody then a women came out of his body! I loved all those, I thought it would make a cool little film with the woman with spilt presonalitys talking into the mirror about killing the person in the bath behind her.
Image converted to link by moderator. Please consult the signature rules for limits on image size

http://img.photobuck...nde/sincity.jpg
My DVD Collection

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 07:38 AM

As is most anything he is associated with.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 08:06 AM

So what happened?

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 08:56 AM

I missed it, what was the beginning movie spoof?

My previous fav's: Matrix Reloaded ("Wet Willy Mr. Timberlake?", "Ergo Shut your mouth!"), Fellowship of the Rings ("Yup, I got it turned into a prince albert"), and the all-Shatner Se7en ("Whats in the F@cking box?" "Hey Mr.Tamborine Man!")
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Peter Miller

Peter Miller

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 09:37 AM

Wait, only Moore's shameless plug was vomit-inducing? What about EVERY OTHER CELEBRITY who appeared on the show? Did anyone who presented an award not plug something?
Peter Miller
Pete's Movie Page | My DVD's | My Blog

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 09:58 AM

Very true. Also, am I the only one who was hoping that was the absolute last time I would be subjected to Jimmy Fallon again? The very sight of him irritates me. He's like that idiot we all had in class in elementary school who would do absolutly anything for attention, no matter how damn stupid he ended up looking and how unfunny it was.

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 10:25 AM

There was no beginning movie spoof. It had Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller acting as movie execs trying to convince Peter Jackson to do a sequel to the LoTR trilogy, with suggestions like "Return of the Kings [of Comedy]" with Bernie Mac, or unambiguously gay "Sam and Frodo". It ran too long. I don't have much of an opinion on the opening dance number, because they way they cut it, I couldn't see a damn thing. But the three-way calling bit was OK, as was the Kill Bill thing (although Andy Dick -- I don't need to see more of him). When LoTR won best picture, Peter Jackson wasn't there to receive the award. (Dominic Monaghan, who plays Merry, did run up to grab it though.) But it looks like they were prepared and ran a Michael Moore bit, where he plugged his new movie and told everyone to vote in November. Moore is shameless but at least [insert partisan political statement here]

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Michael Menduina

Michael Menduina

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 06:01 PM

I recorded it and fast forwarded through the show. If something catches my eye, I'll stop and take a look.

Everyone at these shows is plugging something. No one over 21 shows up for the crappy award, or gives a rats ass if they win or lose.

The only thing I enjoyed was the Andy Dick sketch with his assistant. For some reason, I got a kick out of the bitch slaps he kept dishing out. I'll also confess to LMAO in the ass-shaving sequence. Posted Image

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,776 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 06:06 PM

Thats teriffic stuff. Thats from the 96 awards I mentioned still having on tape. That whole show, especially the movie spoofs are absolutley hilarious. And youre right, the Se7en bit with Shatner is classic. The Seven Platimum DVD almost feels incomplete without it. Well... almost.Posted Image

I should dump that sorry old tape onto DVD-R.Posted Image

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,575 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 03:59 AM

Actually it was for the Action Sequence award, but still, as I said, it was ridiculous. I kept waiting for a punchline or something, but it really was just, "Hey, go see my movie." Nothing wrong with promoting your work, but once again, wrong place, wrong time.

The '95 (or '96, however you look at it Posted Image ) show was indeed great. I loved the Shatner Seven and Braveheart starring Bob Newheart. Posted Image
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 08:49 AM

I'm sure it was MTV who approached him about the whole thing. I'm sure MTV wants people to go see his film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users