What's new
World Wide Stereo

Speaker Placement Dilema in New House! (1 Viewer)

DarrenB

Grip
I have been helping my brother layout a home theater in his new house but the problem is that they have not made any accomodations for a subwoofer placement. As it is they have a built in entertainment center in a room with 10 or 11 ft ceilings. The built in shelves only go about 7 ft high and are open above. Would it be a bad thing to place the sub up at this elevated position? Really this is the only solution I can think of. This room is a multipurpose family room and my sister-in-law I don't think would tolerated putting it free standing in the room. Any suggestions you all could give me would be appreciated. Additionally I have considered the HSU Research VT-12 with one of their 12" subs. Do you all think this is OK for a entry level HT? Thanks for all the comments.

DarrenB

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Are you saying their cabinet extends entirely across the wall, leaving no little corner for the sub? Up in the cabinet isnt such a good idea, but one wud have to try it.

Obviously, a smallish wooden cube model is what's needed. Hsu may have a faux-ottoman model; it cud be placed along a side wall perhas 6 feet from the Center, and she can put a potted fern atop it.

It can be connected using a CREAM/WHITE all-copper core RG-6 cable along the baseboard, custom cut at a shop to length and fitted with F-to-RCA plugs ($3 ea. @ RadioShack)

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
You'll loose a little output if it's on top of the shelves instead of in a room corner.

Assuming you've already placed the main speakers on the shelves and did not buy a speaker designed for on-wall or in-wall placement, you've already compromised acoustics. In this case don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.