Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help...not enough component inputs on my TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Lund

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 01:59 PM

I have a 60" Hitachi progressive scan rear projection TV that's five years old, has two S-video inputs and only one component which I already have my DVD player on. I just bought an XBox and PS2...the PS2 can go on the spare S-video if need be but I wanted the XBox on the component - but that's already taken.

Is there a switch box I can buy to make this work? The only things I'm seeing at like Best Buy and Radio Shack are S-video, audio and composite 4-way boxes. Would it be okay to just use the yellow red and white AVs for the component cables instead as long as I kept the colors right? Any advice would be appreciated, there is no way I would be able to pull the TV out every time I wanted to switch these.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted May 17 2004 - 02:27 PM

Greetings

INDAY, Zektor, Audio Authority all have component switchers.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 06:25 AM

I use the INDAY component video switch with good results. It has 4 component video inputs with one output and comes with a remote for selecting which input to use. I also recently purchased an INDAY component video distribution amp (1 input to 4 outputs) so that I could connect my components to both my RPTV and my projector. So far so good.
AFI challenges:
Movies - Last seen: Raging Bull, 68 to go
Laughs - Last seen: It Happened One Night, 82 to go
Thrills - Last seen: Raging Bull, 67 to go
Passions - Last seen: The African Queen, 83 to go Heroes and Villains - Last seen: Max Cady - Cape Fear, 73 to go

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Lund

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the input. I ended up buying a JVC component switcher, it was a little more in my price range. But this got me on the right track. I don't really have very high end equipment.

Now if I could find a way to converge two toslink outputs into one for the two consoles I'd be set...this isn't quite as big of a problem though because that can be easily reached to switch. My receiver is an Onkyo 575 I think? And it only has one coax and one optical input.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 02:29 PM

I would have recommended Pelican's System Selector Pro. As a guy With 7 Video game consoles, a VCR and a DVD player hooked up to a single TV and receiver, I need all the input space I can get. This item is only $100 at Best Buy and has 8 inputs, all of which handle component, composite and S-Video. Three of them also handle TOSlink and it has a built-in three-port hub.

That JVC you have probably more expensive and not nearly as full-featured. I'd exchange it if you can.
My Collection

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Lund

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 03:01 PM

Dan, thanks for the reply. I only wish I had seen this device earlier - it is exactly what I need. The JVC is on its way from Amazon, guess I'll either return it or just resell it. I believe the Pelican would work better for me and it's $89 this week at BB.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted May 19 2004 - 02:50 AM

Greetings

The Audio Authority component switcher ($190) also has digital audio switching built in. 4 inputs ... 1 output.

Problem with the AA unit is that it has no remote and its auto detect system is not very intelligent.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com