What's new

The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Does anyone remember this wonderful show from the 1970's? Dan Haggerty, Denver Pyle & Ben... The theme song was great. It had incredible photography, shot in the mountains. Do you know who owns the rights? This is a show I would love to see come out on DVD. Anybody with me on this one?
I just have to say that 2004 has been a wonderful year for releases and continues to amaze me: Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Kung-Fu, Starsky & Hutch, Jetsons... still to come: Partridge Family, Land of the Lost, The Munsters and many others... my wallet keeps getting lighter and lighter!
:)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Count me in on a purchase.

Their was a movie in 2000 called "Escape to Grizzly Mountain" that starred Dan Haggerty, but was not Grizzly Adams(well sort of). Here is a description:

Jimmy, a young boy trying to gain acceptance from his peers, is horrified when he sees a circus trainer abusing a bear cub. One of the circus employees tells Jimmy that there is a magic cave in the hills nearby that can transport people to another time, and that maybe he can use it to help the bear. Jimmy does some exploring, finds the cave, and is amazed to find himself transported back to the early 1800's where he encounters Jeremiah, a nature-loving mountain man with a bear friend of his own. Jeremiah agrees to come to the future and help out Jimmy, but the 21st century is quite different from the 19th, and springing the bear cub will not be as easy as Jeremiah thinks. Not in any way related to the "Grizzly Adams" television series.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I did a review of Escape to Grizzly Mountain some time ago. Seemed cheesier than I remember Grizzly Adams, but I haven't seen that show in decades.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Interesting stuff... I didn't realize there were a couple of movies made by Dan Haggerty in the same vein as Grizzly Adams. I too have not seen this show on re-runs anywhere for many, many years. Does anyone know where you can catch Grizzly Adams on television these days? Yet another reason why this "classic" should be released on DVD asap. I hope what someone said in an earlier post that since Little House and The Waltons have come to dvd this series will not be far behind.

p.s. - isn't it funny that some of the best tv shows that we grew up with -- watching them as first generation or second generation re-runs, many of these great shows only had a two season run: Munsters, Addams Family, Monkees, Grizzly Adams. I'm sure you could probably add more to that list.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Little House, The Waltons they are all on DVD. I'm not giving up. I've been waiting for this show to come to dvd for a long time.

Ben, Mad Jack, Adams... we're patiently waiting.....

Mick Tees

Second Unit
VH-1 has a program called "I Love the 70's". It's a flashback program with music and tv celebrities recalling the decade. You've probably seen it. They also have "I Love the 80's" & "I Love the 90's".

One episode focused on the year 1976 and talked about Grizzly Adams. I'm still hoping that this show will one day come to DVD. I've not heard anything lately...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just got off the phone with someone from Grizzly Adams productions. According to the lady I spoke with. They do not have the rights to the show. She thinks its either NBC or Viacom. I have an email to someone higher up in the dvd department. As soon as I recieve a reply. I will post it.
:frowning:

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Thanks Todd S! You obviously know people in high places. This is a release that I've been waiting for some time now.
I appreciate it!
:)

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Great show..having this on DVD would be good news!

(I'm watching more and more TV shows on DVD.. movies are few and far between now !)

Ha-ha,

~Rob

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,
I was a huge fan of GRIZZLY ADAMS but haven't seen it since it first aired.
The show was produced by Sunn Classic Pictures, the independent company that made millions on the 70's documentaries like IN SEARCH OF NOAH'S ARK, BEYOND AND BACK, THE LINCOLN CONSPIRACY and many more. They were bought out in the early 80's and are now (I think) still owned by Viacom.
That may have changed because this summer, Sunn Classics reformed with a few of the original people (although not the guy who was responsible for Grizzly Adams, Charles Sellier). They have a website www.sunnclassicpicturesinc.com I don't know if someone wants to contact them and see if they have the rights to the show. I've been meaning to email them (they have links to all the mgmt on the site). They talk about how well the company has done over the years due to Paramount/Viacom's licensing of GRIZZLY ADAMS.
Sunn Classics also produced the GREATEST HEROES OF THE BIBLE 70's TV series (the one with all 70's TV stars reenacting bible stories, with Jan from the Brady Bunch as Noah's wife, etc). That is one of the few Sunn films on DVD, Republic DVD released that.
All the documentaries are MIA on DVD. So, if Viacom does own the rights, they sure aren't doing anything with them.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jon, Thanks for the info. I will try to contact them later today. And forward any info back here.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Ray Jensen of Sunn Classic Pictures. He said that they do not own the distribution rights for the show. Paramount does. They only get a percentage. They did try to get the distribution rights back, but were unsuccessful. And as far as he knows. Paramount has no plans on releasing it. But, who knows what Paramount has planned.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Do you think starting an email campaign asking Paramount to consider releasing this would be a good option?

Do they listen or respond to fans of the show?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Do you think starting an email campaign asking Paramount to consider releasing this would be a good option?
It couldn't hurt. Like I said, Paramount hasn't done a thing with the Sunn Classics catalogue since they acquired them. GRIZZLY ADAMS hasn't really been shown since the FX airings in the early 90's. And the films, which could have quite an audience today, have never been released on any format by them (VCI released them in the early 80's on VHS). They don't even get shown on TV anymore.

And Todd, that is very cool about talking to Ray Jensen. Did he have anything else to say?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks