-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

is my RX-Z1 done for?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Tom_Price

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 08:16 AM

Earlier today I sat down to watch "elimidate" that I had TiVo'd a couple of nights ago. I press the button to power on my system and things start to power up, but my RX-Z1 comes on for about 5 seconds and then it shuts off. Naturally, I tried it a few more times, but only ended up with the same results.

I consulted the troubleshooting section of the textbook of a manual the unit came with. It listed 4 potential problems that I attempted the fixes for, but I had no luck. The system is not overheated. I even unplugged it and let it cool with a fan on it for an hour and that didn't help. It isn't due to speaker wire shorts because I triple checked everything.

Has anyone come across a problem like this? What was the cause, and how much was it to fix? I guess if the problem is terminal, it would be a good reason to upgrade to the RX-Z9.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 of 7 PeterCB

PeterCB

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 10:49 AM

You're in luck! The Z1 has a 5 year warantee, so no matter what the problem is, they will fix it at no charge to you.

Of course, if you were using this an as excuse to upgrade to the Z9, you could still trade the Z1 in after you got it fixed!

#3 of 7 Tom_Price

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 07:45 AM

Just to let everyone know, the RX-Z1 comes with a 2 year warranty. Not the 5 year. That's a bunch of crap for a $3200 receiver.

#4 of 7 John Robert

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 08:24 AM

I would at least email Yamaha. Some receivers have recurring problems that mfrs will fix out of warranty.

The "Catch 22" for you is, unless you get it fixed, not much value on the resale market. But, if you get it fixed and it serves your needs, why get a new unit???

Good luck...

John

#5 of 7 Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
That's a bunch of crap for a $3200 receiver.

No, what's a bunch of crap is when Sony had 90-day warranties on their $1,000+ Vega TVs. Now, that's some crap.

Hopefully, Yamaha will work with you to get this resolved. Posted Image
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#6 of 7 Steve Simm

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 11:10 AM

The Z1 does have a 5 year warranty as does the RX-V1 and the Z9.

#7 of 7 Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 03:21 PM

they extended the warranty when the z9 was released with a 5 year ... so the z1 does have a 5 year. Check all your speakers connections ... if that were the problem the receiver might actually say that right when you power it up.
- "How'd you do that?"
- "What?!"
- "You move like they do ... I've never seen anyone move that fast."

The Martheaplexx