Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

KILL BILL: The multiple versions thread (6 from Miramax; Japanese, SEs, etc.)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
274 replies to this topic

#21 of 275 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:52 AM

I just hope the two-pack comes out at the same time as the Vol2 stand-alone.

#22 of 275 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:52 AM

Just give me Vol. 2 in a DVD comparable to Vol. 1 for ~$16 and I'll be happy. They can keep all the subsequent versions.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#23 of 275 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
`Vol. 1' goes out

Bought it
Quote:
`Vol. 2' goes out
I'll buy it.
Quote:
`Vol. 1 Special Edition

I'll buy it.
Quote:
`Vol. 2 Special Edition
I'll buy it.
Quote:
the two-pack
Hmmm. Depends on if we get any new stuff.
Quote:
the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas

Also depends on if we get any new stuff or if the box is just really really cool looking.
Quote:
Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan
That's a no-brainer. I'll buy it.
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#24 of 275 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 09:20 AM

Unless there's some changes to the movie itself a la the LOTR EEs, it doesn't seem like it would make much sense for them to release a Vol. 2 stand-alone and a Vol. 2 SE. They certainly wanted to get a Vol. 1 disc out there in time for Vol. 2 hitting the theaters, but what would be the point of two different DVD releases of Vol. 2 if the version of the movie doesn't change from one to the other? Maybe the Miramax COO was just thinking out loud.

#25 of 275 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 09:49 AM

I will wait for the super duper box set as there are plenty of other movies I want to buy
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#26 of 275 OFFLINE   Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 10:36 AM

I dont think we really know what these will be yet. The Special Editions could be the Japanese cuts. The Two pack could be special edition vol 1 and 2 together. And then the Tarantino boxset would probably be all of the Miramax movies together in one set with nothing new.
Michael Boyd

Currently enjoying movies in China via itunes on a 13 inch Macbook.

#27 of 275 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 12:22 PM

And don't forget how bloody long we're gonna have to wait for these things. KB1 took 6 months to come out on dvd. So let's have KB2 coming out in October, or thereabouts, then the limited theatrical release of the combined Japanese cut, which I believe is in summer (?), then the single volume special editions, which will probably come out on the same day (imagine the confusion), first quarter of next year at the earliest, if KB2 barebones is being released this 4th quarter. Throw on another 6 months or so, and then the Japanese/combined edit in maybe summer 2005 or christmas 2005. And this is an accelerated timeline, i don't expect them to be turning out editions that fast.

For a minute there, I thought Anchor Bay owned Kill Bill!
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#28 of 275 OFFLINE   John CW

John CW

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
Fellowship Theatrical Fullscreen
Fellowship Theatrical Widescreen
Fellowship Extended Edition
Fellowship Extended Edition Box set

Two Towers Theatrical Fullscreen
Two Towers Theatrical Widescreen
Two Towers Extended Edition
Two Towers Extended Edition Box set

Return of the King Theatrical Fullscreen
Return of the King Theatrical Widescreen
Return of the King Extended Edition
Return of the King Extended Edition Box set

Lord of the Rings - Theatrical versions Boxset
Lord of the Rings - Extended Edition boxset (surely coming)

Lol! Releasing a Widescreen and Fullscreen edition is hardly "double dipping" Posted Image (Also to be fair: The Extended Editions and Ext Ed Box Sets were released at the same time and they didn't expect anyone to buy both! Posted Image)

And since the Theatrical Edition boxset offers nothing new then really you're left with:

Fellowship Theatrical
Fellowship Extended Edition / Box Set

Two Towers Theatrical
Two Towers Extended Edition / Box set

Return of the King Theatrical
Return of the King Extended Edition / Box set

Which is cool by me! Posted Image

Kill Bill seems to have managed to have invented 5 versions based on two (or is it ONE) film(s) (if the salivating person quoted is anything to go by). LotR only managed 6 versions from three films! Posted Image
Alphabetti Spaghetti

Elvis returns from the dead to say: "Objectively looking at the world, you're the only people alive on the earth today. All the people who created tradition, created countries, created rules ... THEM #@&%ERS ARE DEAD. Why don't you start your own world while you got the chance?"

#29 of 275 OFFLINE   Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 02:54 PM

i will keep watching my downloaded copy until a Kill Bill DVD comes out that interests me. the current DVD, even though its tempting at 9.99 after rebate, is not enough for me to upgrade my freebie.

also i probably will not buy a DVD version with a B/W House Of Blue Leaves scene. IMO the whole impact of the scene is lost and dropped my rating of the film from 9.5 (.5 taken off for the lame scene with vivica a fox) to an 8. total puss out from QT. or brilliant marketing move. movie fan my ass, hes a huckster. miramaxe is the perfect place for him.
Biggest Bullshit Credit in American Film History? "Written & Directed By Quentin Tarantino"...how about COMPILED by?

#30 of 275 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 03:20 PM

Man, that's bad. Well now I know what to get. The two-pack I assume will be nothing more then a single box containing the two SEs (similar to how you can buy the three theatrical cuts of Lord of the Rings separately or in one box, but the same editions), and I would think the QT box will be a re-edit into a single movie, so that's what I'll target. The SEs I'm figuring will be like X-men 1.5 or the 2 disc version of Master and Commander, same cut of the movies, but with more extensive bonus content.

I am glad I didn't buy the current release of KB1 (didn't have the money at the time), cause now I can simply get the SE release of each individual part for the theatrical cuts.

#31 of 275 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 03:29 AM

Quote:
I picked up Kill Bill 1 because it was on sale for $11.99

Coconuts/Fey/Strawberries should be selling KB for $9.95 with $5-$7 mail-in rebate.

But I can't stand that delayed rebate crap and never have bought anything that required a mail-in rebate to get the true sale price.

#32 of 275 OFFLINE   richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 03:58 AM

I avoid it as well. In exchange for giving them your address and purchasing preferences they'll give you the advertised sale price in 6 to 8 weeks.

#33 of 275 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 06:52 AM

Eep! I knew there was going to be a special edition of the combined Kill Bill, but special editions of both theatrical volumes as well? That's asking a bit much... I love Kill Bill but I'm going to wait until the super-mega-ultimate boxset comes out that has the japanese cut of the film... Oh what am I kidding, I know I'll cave in and buy any version that has anything major to add to it. :b I'm weak like that.

*sighs and prepares to hand Miramax his wallet*

#34 of 275 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:27 AM

I'll buy Vol 1 and 2 used and miramax wont get any of my money.

#35 of 275 OFFLINE   Alex K.

Alex K.

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:42 AM

Sigh... Mirimax got a LOT of money from me. Paid an entire 30 bucks for the volume one...
My Collection

#36 of 275 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:58 AM

I fully expected this onslaught and am restraining myself to wait for the Vol 1 & 2 SE--whether it will be the US version, or if I have to import the Japanese one remains to be seen. But won't get fooled again. Posted Image

#37 of 275 OFFLINE   Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 09:30 AM

I was able to get Kill Bill V1 for Free. Posted Image

I received a free dvd ,that I already owned, with the purchase of another dvd so I took the extra one back and exchanged it for KBv1. Posted Image

I was fortunate that KB was on sale for 15.99 since I didnt present a receipt for the unopened "extra dvd" which was usually 19.99 they gave me a store credit for 15.99.

AND So with this news from MIRAMAX I have No Guilt.Posted ImagePosted Image

Anyhow when all these other versions come out then I will pay $$ to get what I want. Hope they release 1 Movie that is uncut and 4.5 Hours Long. That would be worth it.
"You never know how much you really believe anything until its Truth or Falsehood becomes a matter of Life or Death to You". C.S. Lewis

My Collection

#38 of 275 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 10:31 AM

I will buy these DVDs used as well. "Multiple bites at the apple", huh? Miramax can kiss my ass!
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#39 of 275 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 10:48 AM

Well, I figure I can make back the $10 I spent on Kill Bill when a better version comes out. I just want the best version I can get. 6 versions? Come now.

#40 of 275 OFFLINE   Dannie

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 12:21 PM

but on my jap kill bill dvd it has universal pictures not miramax as the dvd maker

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow