What's new

KILL BILL: The multiple versions thread (6 from Miramax; Japanese, SEs, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just give me Vol. 2 in a DVD comparable to Vol. 1 for ~$16 and I'll be happy. They can keep all the subsequent versions.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Unless there's some changes to the movie itself a la the LOTR EEs, it doesn't seem like it would make much sense for them to release a Vol. 2 stand-alone and a Vol. 2 SE. They certainly wanted to get a Vol. 1 disc out there in time for Vol. 2 hitting the theaters, but what would be the point of two different DVD releases of Vol. 2 if the version of the movie doesn't change from one to the other? Maybe the Miramax COO was just thinking out loud.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I dont think we really know what these will be yet. The Special Editions could be the Japanese cuts. The Two pack could be special edition vol 1 and 2 together. And then the Tarantino boxset would probably be all of the Miramax movies together in one set with nothing new.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
And don't forget how bloody long we're gonna have to wait for these things. KB1 took 6 months to come out on dvd. So let's have KB2 coming out in October, or thereabouts, then the limited theatrical release of the combined Japanese cut, which I believe is in summer (?), then the single volume special editions, which will probably come out on the same day (imagine the confusion), first quarter of next year at the earliest, if KB2 barebones is being released this 4th quarter. Throw on another 6 months or so, and then the Japanese/combined edit in maybe summer 2005 or christmas 2005. And this is an accelerated timeline, i don't expect them to be turning out editions that fast.

For a minute there, I thought Anchor Bay owned Kill Bill!

John CW

Supporting Actor

Lol! Releasing a Widescreen and Fullscreen edition is hardly "double dipping" :) (Also to be fair: The Extended Editions and Ext Ed Box Sets were released at the same time and they didn't expect anyone to buy both! ;))

And since the Theatrical Edition boxset offers nothing new then really you're left with:

Fellowship Theatrical
Fellowship Extended Edition / Box Set

Two Towers Theatrical
Two Towers Extended Edition / Box set

Return of the King Theatrical
Return of the King Extended Edition / Box set

Which is cool by me! :)

Kill Bill seems to have managed to have invented 5 versions based on two (or is it ONE) film(s) (if the salivating person quoted is anything to go by). LotR only managed 6 versions from three films! :)

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
i will keep watching my downloaded copy until a Kill Bill DVD comes out that interests me. the current DVD, even though its tempting at 9.99 after rebate, is not enough for me to upgrade my freebie.

also i probably will not buy a DVD version with a B/W House Of Blue Leaves scene. IMO the whole impact of the scene is lost and dropped my rating of the film from 9.5 (.5 taken off for the lame scene with vivica a fox) to an 8. total puss out from QT. or brilliant marketing move. movie fan my ass, hes a huckster. miramaxe is the perfect place for him.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Man, that's bad. Well now I know what to get. The two-pack I assume will be nothing more then a single box containing the two SEs (similar to how you can buy the three theatrical cuts of Lord of the Rings separately or in one box, but the same editions), and I would think the QT box will be a re-edit into a single movie, so that's what I'll target. The SEs I'm figuring will be like X-men 1.5 or the 2 disc version of Master and Commander, same cut of the movies, but with more extensive bonus content.

I am glad I didn't buy the current release of KB1 (didn't have the money at the time), cause now I can simply get the SE release of each individual part for the theatrical cuts.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Coconuts/Fey/Strawberries should be selling KB for $9.95 with $5-$7 mail-in rebate.

But I can't stand that delayed rebate crap and never have bought anything that required a mail-in rebate to get the true sale price.

richardWI

Second Unit
I avoid it as well. In exchange for giving them your address and purchasing preferences they'll give you the advertised sale price in 6 to 8 weeks.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Eep! I knew there was going to be a special edition of the combined Kill Bill, but special editions of both theatrical volumes as well? That's asking a bit much... I love Kill Bill but I'm going to wait until the super-mega-ultimate boxset comes out that has the japanese cut of the film... Oh what am I kidding, I know I'll cave in and buy any version that has anything major to add to it. :b I'm weak like that.

*sighs and prepares to hand Miramax his wallet*

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I fully expected this onslaught and am restraining myself to wait for the Vol 1 & 2 SE--whether it will be the US version, or if I have to import the Japanese one remains to be seen. But won't get fooled again. :)

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to get Kill Bill V1 for Free. :D

I received a free dvd ,that I already owned, with the purchase of another dvd so I took the extra one back and exchanged it for KBv1. :emoji_thumbsup:

I was fortunate that KB was on sale for 15.99 since I didnt present a receipt for the unopened "extra dvd" which was usually 19.99 they gave me a store credit for 15.99.

AND So with this news from MIRAMAX I have No Guilt.:D:D

Anyhow when all these other versions come out then I will pay $$ to get what I want. Hope they release 1 Movie that is uncut and 4.5 Hours Long. That would be worth it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I will buy these DVDs used as well. "Multiple bites at the apple", huh? Miramax can kiss my ass!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, I figure I can make back the $10 I spent on Kill Bill when a better version comes out. I just want the best version I can get. 6 versions? Come now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks