Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Devil's Backbone- $300 DVD gift set w/statue

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 02:27 PM

This is one of Guillermo Del Toro's(Hellboy, Blade 2) older films that's very good from what I've heard.

Can anyone who's seen it comment on it? A short review would be nice

The reason I ask? Well recently put up for pre-order on Sideshow collectibles(they do the LOTR statue) site is this freaking unbelievably cool statue gift set:

Posted Image

Santi and Bomb statue and DVD gift set

I ordered it on the spot, despite knowing zero about the film besides that it's directed by GDT. I guess if it turns out that I don't really like the film, I'll still be happy that I have the statue.

A little off-topic, but I mentioned elsewhere that I am a hardcore collector of sideshow weta statues (lord of the rings). One of the things that's utterly shocking to me about the santi thing is the edition size!! 100 pieces?!? That's amazing. The most recent crop of LOTR statues are almost 10,000 piece editions. Of course, the demand for "santi" is probably no where near anything LOTR will command, but still, I'm floored by it. Oh, there's actually a cool little LOTR connection to this, as the statue is sculpted by WETA workshop members.

Anyway, if anyone has seen Devil's Backbone please share your thoughts here! Thanks!

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted April 05 2004 - 11:28 PM

The Devil's Backbone is a fantastic ghost story and well worth the price for the disc, though I can't say I'd spring for the statue. If you enjoyed The Others or The Changeling, it's a nice subtle ghost story along those lines.
3D is always a compromise. 

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted April 05 2004 - 11:29 PM

That's a pretty amazing statue. I envy your ability to collect Sideshow statues, as they do quality work. To answer your question, The Devil's Backbone is a really good ghost story. It is set in 1930s Spain during the Spanish Civil War and involves a young boy being sent to a far-off orphanage. As you might guess, he meets up with a ghost boy and a certain bomb. I won't give away much more. It has great atmosphere and works as both a scary ghost tale and a Dickens-ian coming of age story. I like the WETA/Del Toro connection here. I think Del Toro's career could go as far as Peter Jackson's, as both are talented genre directors with mainstream appeal and dramatic skills.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 07:19 AM

Great film, with a very scary (in my opinion) ghost character. As others said, the film works in various ways, not just as a ghost story. Not too sure about the statue though... :P)
Dimebag Darrell
1966 - 2004
Rest In Peace

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 07:28 AM

If I had the money, I would buy it on the spot. Alas, I am nothing but a poor college student. Great movie. I'm sure you will enjoy it. One thing about the statue bothers me, though. Santi's brain cloud wound looks as if it would break off VERY easily. Even in shipping. Chazz, be sure to let us all know how it is when it arrives.
Jake J.
Chief?
McCloud!
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
My Sweet Cuppin' Cake of a DVD Collectionwww.thedigitalbits.com

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 10:19 AM

It is a wonderful film, much different from his English films. scary and moody. I'd definitely recommend it. It isn't that old though, it was released in 2001, he did it right before Blade II. I have Cronos too, but have yet to watch it...

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 10:32 AM

I do without the mushroom-cloud of blood. But thats just me.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 06 2004 - 03:25 PM

I still think the ghost in The Devil's Backbone is one of the creepiest specters in recent films. Particularly the scene in the hallway....sent shivers down my spine.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted April 07 2004 - 05:54 AM

Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I simply can't wait to see this film!

Thanks Jake, it is fast becoming one of my most anticipated films, and it's not even a new theatrical release! Posted Image

I have no fears about the mushroom cloud breaking off at all. Sideshow is super experienced when it comes to this stuff. They've shipped thousands upon thousands of LOTR statues so this will be a piece of cake. Even if it does break, they'll replace it. (usually they take down your edition number, destroy your piece when they get it back and give you a new one with the same number)

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,512 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 07 2004 - 01:09 PM

had this at the BBV were i work but never thought to give it a look. is there other then region 1 version with a different edit? i thought i read somewere about that.
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 09:22 AM

According to someone who emailed Sideshow, this gift set is already 60% sold through, just in case anyone is interested.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 04:53 PM

Del Toro stated in a interview on DVDTalk a couple of weeks ago that he plans to reissue The Devil's Backbone sometime this year with extra features and such. Just a FYI...
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted April 08 2004 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, the DVD included in the gift-set that's the basis for the thread is the re-issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users