What's new

The Devil's Backbone- $300 DVD gift set w/statue (1 Viewer)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
This is one of Guillermo Del Toro's(Hellboy, Blade 2) older films that's very good from what I've heard.

Can anyone who's seen it comment on it? A short review would be nice

The reason I ask? Well recently put up for pre-order on Sideshow collectibles(they do the LOTR statue) site is this freaking unbelievably cool statue gift set:

[url=http://www.sideshowtoy.com/placed/devilsbackbone_01.jpg] [/url]

Santi and Bomb statue and DVD gift set

I ordered it on the spot, despite knowing zero about the film besides that it's directed by GDT. I guess if it turns out that I don't really like the film, I'll still be happy that I have the statue.

A little off-topic, but I mentioned elsewhere that I am a hardcore collector of sideshow weta statues (lord of the rings). One of the things that's utterly shocking to me about the santi thing is the edition size!! 100 pieces?!? That's amazing. The most recent crop of LOTR statues are almost 10,000 piece editions. Of course, the demand for "santi" is probably no where near anything LOTR will command, but still, I'm floored by it. Oh, there's actually a cool little LOTR connection to this, as the statue is sculpted by WETA workshop members.

Anyway, if anyone has seen Devil's Backbone please share your thoughts here! Thanks!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
The Devil's Backbone is a fantastic ghost story and well worth the price for the disc, though I can't say I'd spring for the statue.

If you enjoyed The Others or The Changeling, it's a nice subtle ghost story along those lines.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
That's a pretty amazing statue. I envy your ability to collect Sideshow statues, as they do quality work.

To answer your question, The Devil's Backbone is a really good ghost story. It is set in 1930s Spain during the Spanish Civil War and involves a young boy being sent to a far-off orphanage. As you might guess, he meets up with a ghost boy and a certain bomb. I won't give away much more. It has great atmosphere and works as both a scary ghost tale and a Dickens-ian coming of age story.

I like the WETA/Del Toro connection here. I think Del Toro's career could go as far as Peter Jackson's, as both are talented genre directors with mainstream appeal and dramatic skills.

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Great film, with a very scary (in my opinion) ghost character. As others said, the film works in various ways, not just as a ghost story.

Not too sure about the statue though... :p)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
If I had the money, I would buy it on the spot. Alas, I am nothing but a poor college student. Great movie. I'm sure you will enjoy it. One thing about the statue bothers me, though. Santi's brain cloud wound looks as if it would break off VERY easily. Even in shipping. Chazz, be sure to let us all know how it is when it arrives.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
It is a wonderful film, much different from his English films. scary and moody. I'd definitely recommend it.
It isn't that old though, it was released in 2001, he did it right before Blade II. I have Cronos too, but have yet to watch it...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I still think the ghost in The Devil's Backbone is one of the creepiest specters in recent films. Particularly the scene in the hallway....sent shivers down my spine.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I simply can't wait to see this film!

Thanks Jake, it is fast becoming one of my most anticipated films, and it's not even a new theatrical release! :D

I have no fears about the mushroom cloud breaking off at all. Sideshow is super experienced when it comes to this stuff. They've shipped thousands upon thousands of LOTR statues so this will be a piece of cake. Even if it does break, they'll replace it. (usually they take down your edition number, destroy your piece when they get it back and give you a new one with the same number)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
had this at the BBV were i work but never thought to give it a look.

is there other then region 1 version with a different edit?
i thought i read somewere about that.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
According to someone who emailed Sideshow, this gift set is already 60% sold through, just in case anyone is interested.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Del Toro stated in a interview on DVDTalk a couple of weeks ago that he plans to reissue The Devil's Backbone sometime this year with extra features and such. Just a FYI...

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the DVD included in the gift-set that's the basis for the thread is the re-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks