What's new

XM Web Streaming Audio? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Martin

Auditioning
Hello. I am about to become a first time satellite radio user and have been trying to decided between XM and Sirius for a week or two. I think I've finally settled on XM mostly because I hear their music selection is better. One thing that bugs me though is how Sirius allows you to listen on any computer without any extra equipment but XM doesn't. This would be an awfully nice feature to have since it would save me from having to buy the $100 boombox to listen at work. Also, it seems like setting up a website to do this would be a fairly easy and not too expensive thing for the company to do. Does anyone know of any plans for XM to offer this feature in the near future? (Got to keep up with Sirius, right?)

Thanks for your help.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

I'll admit that the Sirius web streaming feature
is a major PLUS for that company. When I was a
Sirius subscriber I saved a lot of money on purchasing
a PNP unit just because I could stream the music
through my computer while sitting at my desk.

I greatly miss the streaming option, and I wish
XM Radio would do something like this.

I need to warn you....

PLEASE be certain that Sirius is for you before
going over there.

Members of SIRIUSBACKSTAGE.COM are still complaining
about the service's repetitious music and limited
playlists. We fought very hard over the past few
months to bring change there, but it is obvious that
management wants to run SIRIUS like an FM radio
station.

PLEASE read some of the comments posted in that
forum's MUSIC and POP MUSIC areas to see the problems
going on over there.

If you like repetition and only familiar music,
I would wholeheartedly recommend Sirius.

If you like diversity in your music with what
seems to be an unlimited playlist, I highly
recommend XM radio.

Chris_Martin

Auditioning
No, I've already decided on XM. That's why I was curious if anyone knew about any plans they had for adding the streaming audio feature any time soon. Sounds like no one has heard anything. Oh well. I'm going to have to pay more up front for XM to get set up at home, at work, and in the car, but I think I'll be happier in the long run.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

Trust me, you made the right choice going
with XM Radio.

Chris_Martin

Auditioning
Well, I went in to get XM on Saturday, and I was very disappointed to find out that it was going to cost me 2 to 3 times as much initially to set up XM as it will to set up Sirius. With XM the FM modulator is separate, and requires professional installation. Also the car kit and home kit are each $20 more than Sirius. Sirius is offering a receiver plus the home and car kits (FM modulator included) for $200 with a $50 mail in rebate, so effectively $150. To get the same thing with XM would cost me $350 to $400 (depending on installation costs), and I still won't be getting as much because I wouldn't be able to listen at work through my computer so I'd need to tack on another $100 for the boom box. I was prepared to pay some more for XM but not that much more. Also, I wasn't aware that I have to sign a year long contract for XM. The plan was that either of these was to be on a trial basis, which doesn't quite work with year long contract. I'm not made of money. I had to go with Sirius and hope that I can be happy with the music selection. If I'm not I can still return everything within 30 days and I'm only out the cost of a one month subscription and the $5 connection fee.

In the future I don't see how XM is going to add subscribers at the rate Sirius does unless they get their initial costs down.

Thanks for the advice, but my pockets are only so deep.

Chris

Chris, If you get the Roady, you can get the whole setup for car AND home including a wireless FM Modulator for the car for about $200 as part of a bundle at myradiostore.com or some other retailers if you take a good look around.

There are no contracts with XM. Who told you there were? Its Sirius who has the contracts. Read the fine print of their offers.

The other thing you should consider is that although the initial cost for XM may be a few dollars more, what you get is superios music programming and a lower monthly price. With XM, you can pre-pay for longer periods of time and your subscribtion goes all the way down to about $7.50 per month. THIS IS NOT A CONTRACT. If you pre-pay, you get the disount rate, and you can still CANCEL at anytime and get a pro-rated refund. With Sirius, you are signing your life away and kissing your money good bye for good.

Sirius does offer online streaming, but why would you listen to that if you want good sound quality? XM offers a gadget for $49 called the PCR that hooks up to your computer and does not use the internet if you must use the service at a computer. Regardless, with a home kit, you can plug that into a computer anyway.

In short, while you are looking to save a couple bucks inititlaly, you may be hurting yourdelf in the long run with Sirius. They are putting a carrot out for you.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chris,

Listen to what Ziggy tells you.

If you already bought Sirius, pay close attention
to the amount of repetition and what they don't
play.

It's a shame that Sirius is dangling a carrot at
people who have no idea how much less they are actually
getting when it comes to great music programming.

...oh, and watch out for dropouts. If there are
no repeaters in your area (there are none in mine)
you will get many audio dropouts -- especially when
under any overhang such as a gas station or bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks